Skip to main content

I’ve had Sonos for years and the performance over the past week has degraded to make it nearly unusable. I listen almost exclusively to spotify and my music library. Spotify has recently begun returning a number of errors that result in skipped tracks. “not encoded correctly”  or “the connection to spotify was lost.”

I’m running a Play:3, Play:1, One, and Roam all through a Boost. I’ve tried switching the Sonos channel from 11 to 1. I even factory reset my wifi setup last night and created a new network name. The issue has persisted and is very frustrating.

I ran a diagnostic, #227227461 Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Hi @conor 

Thanks for your post!

Your Boost is having a little trouble talking to the Play:3 - for this reason I recommend you look to reduce interference near the Play:3, but also choose another room to be in charge of the group, ie. selected first. 

Also, if you didn’t disconnect it 4 times in one minute recently, then I recommend you replace the Boost’s ethernet cable.

I hope this helps.

Hi @conor 

Thanks for your post!

Your Boost is having a little trouble talking to the Play:3 - for this reason I recommend you look to reduce interference near the Play:3, but also choose another room to be in charge of the group, ie. selected first. 

Also, if you didn’t disconnect it 4 times in one minute recently, then I recommend you replace the Boost’s ethernet cable.

I hope this helps.

Hi there,

I’ve tried what you suggested: replaced the ethernet cable to the boost. I’ve also hardwired the Play One. Unfortunately, songs are still stopping randomly in the middle and skipping to the next song. I submitted a new diagnostic #990950158

Any more tips you can give based on that would be very appreciated. It’s still a mix of “connection to spotify was lost” and “the song is not encoded correctly” errors in my error log.

It was mentioned earlier that there were issues surrounding your Play:3,so I would look what’s around that device and even try that speaker elsewhere, as a temporary measure. I would just wire the one device too (The Boost) for the time being and then do these few things:

1. Set your router to use a ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4Ghz Wifi Channel, either channel 1, 6 or 11. Also, if your router allows, set that bands channel-width to just 20MHz only
  2. In the Sonos App - network settings - set the SonosNet channel so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel. So if the router is set to fixed channel 6, then set the SonosNet channel to either 1 or 11.
  3. When grouping your devices together, start the group with the new Sonos One, as that will also help with things too.

See if that then resolves your audio dropout issues.

Hi @conor 

Thanks for the diagnostics.

It seems your Kitchen speaker is wired to a Google mesh node, and it’s not the main node. Please disconnect this cable and test playback a minute later.

If that doesn’t help, please remove power from the Kitchen speaker for about half of a minute.

I hope this helps.