Question

Connecting a Bridge to a WiFi Extender

• 28 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I am thinking of changing my broadband supplier, but the new router will be at the far end of the house rather than in the middle where the current one is.

I know I am going to have to get some wi fi extenders to cover the whole house, but has anyone ever connected a Sonos bridge via an ethernet cable to an extender, as I don’t think the bridge is powerful enough to reach the far side of the house if I plug it into the main router.

All our devices are 1st generation products and won’t work (apparently) without a bridge

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Let’s address at least a couple of things, and I will leave the rest for others.

As of several years ago, the BRIDGE is no longer required. You can wire a standard player/speaker to your router, and it will function as both a speaker and a BRIDGE.

Also, if you’re still using a BRIDGE because you don’t have a speaker close enough to your router to wire, and you choose not to have your speakers hang off your normal WiFi signal, you should replace your BRIDGE with the newer, better, and certainly more robust BOOST. The BRIDGE is known to frequently have a failure of its power supply, which can cause very unusual and difficult to trace issues in the system, due to the fluctuation in voltage as it begins to fail.

Yes, the BOOST can run either S1 or S2, but not both simultaneously.

In your case, continuing to run in wired mode (either a speaker or a BOOST) is recommended, to allow the Sonos devices work off of Sonos’ proprietary mesh network, where each device reinforces the mesh. One does need to be careful not to run both WiFi and SonosNet on the overlapping channels.