Connect:Amp Audio Cutting Out

• 6 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Connect:Amp audio cuts out for 10-15 seconds about once a day.

Diagnostics sent - Conf #682138766

I’ve seen other questions similar to mine, but I can add that this issue started immediately after the update to S2.  I have 4 Connect:Amps in my setup, and I only notice this consistently on one - “Lv Rm/Kitchen”.  I don’t know if this is happening on other Connect:Amps or other devices, because this is the zone we use every day.  I don’t see the problem on the PlayBar/Sub or Play5 which are used quite a bit.  The PlayBar/Sub mainly use the optical input from TV.

After the S2 update, I had a lot of problems with audio cutting out, pausing, and difficulty with grouping taking a while or not working.  Then after a software update, most of the issues went away.  But about once a day (we have music playing on this device 3-4 hours a day) the audio just cuts out for about 10-15 seconds and comes back on with no interaction from me.  I can’t even catch it in time to look at the app or the device to see if it shows anything.  Most of the time it seems like the audio picks up where it left off, as if the track were paused.  Sometimes it skips ahead like just the audio cut off.  There is no pattern to when this happens - it’s totally random.  We now do a countdown to when we think the music will come back on!

I have checked speaker wire connections at the amp and speakers, and the wiring is in-wall, and hasn’t been touched since 2015.

All my Sonos devices except my Play5 and Sub are hard wired to my network switch with static IP addresses.

I thought another software update would fix this eventually, but it’s now been quite some time since updating to S2, and the issue persists.  It’s more of an annoyance than a huge issue, but it shouldn’t be happening.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Larry.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @SonosColumbia, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for providing the details on your post and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network. Let me suggest the following basic troubleshooting steps to see if this would work for you.

• A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
  • Change SonosNet Channel
    • On the Sonos app, go to Settings > System > Network > SonosNet Channel > Change it 11 or 1

After performing the steps above, please submit a diagnostic for us to check the changes in your system and if the error has been cleared. Just provide us the confirmation number.

Let us know how it goes. We'll wait for your reply.

Hello, I followed the steps for sequential reboot, and submitted a diagnostic.

The confirmation number is: 260142226.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @SonosColumbia, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Upon checking the report, there’s interference on SonosNet mode. This could be caused by wireless interference by wireless congestion. Audio dropouts or other audio issues may experience in a single room or multiple rooms. I can see that you have changed the SonosNet channel from 6 to 11, yet you’re still having the same issues. 

We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent working on this, and you have performed most of the basic troubleshooting steps to address your concern, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process.  I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model of each device and for more in-depth troubleshooting steps to provide you the best option. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. The Sonos Community is always here to help.