Answered

Can't connect new Boost to existing Sonos system running on Amplifi mesh wifi system

• 10 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,  I am having problems with my Sono’s system dropping speakers and stop playing music unexpectedly so I purchased a new Sono’s Boost.  The instructions didn’t work at all.  After plugging the Boost into the Ubiquiti Amplifi system the Sonos app couldn’t find it.  I called tech support and got a person that I could barely understand.  He walked me through rebooting the router, rebooting all 6 speakers, deleting and readding the sonos app, and factory resetting the boost.  After over an hour on the phone I had to pause.  I have reset the entire system at least 6 times now.  Finally the Sonos app found the boost. When I went to add it there was a point it said to pressing the flasing infinity light on the Boost.  The problem was the light would never flash.  After pressing it anyway, the app went into an error 800.  It tried unsuccessfully to update the boost.  It never got it added and somehow I ended up losing 3 of the speakers from the system.  I have a main router from AT&T delivering 1000mbs.  The Amplifi is plugged into that and runs the wifi network with several mesh points throughout a 8500sf brick building.  I have tried adding the boost from different iphones logged into the same account.  Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong or need to do differently?

icon

Best answer by Dave0Music22 16 October 2023, 17:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If you haven’t already, reserve IP addresses for all regular network clients. I recommend Factory resetting BOOST before your next attempt. Don’t Factory Reset any other SONOS units without further consult.

BOOST and other older units can build SonosNet, a private mesh network that will ignore WiFi and WiFi ignores SonosNet. If you can wire at least one other appropriate SONOS unit, BOOST is often extraneous. The very newest units, MOVE, ROAM, and the ERA’s do not participate in SonosNet. If you are using SonosNet and multiple units are wired to UBIQUITI, make sure that the switches are set for STP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ubiquiti and Sonos can take a bit to get them working together but it can be done. I have used a Boost, a wired Sonos speaker and WiFi connected Sonos with my Ubiquiti gear.

After you reserve the IP addresses start here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ubiquiti and Sonos can take a bit to get them working together but it can be done. I have used a Boost, a wired Sonos speaker and WiFi connected Sonos with my Ubiquiti gear.

After you reserve the IP addr

However this is Amplifi, it requires no configuration, unlike the “pro” gear that Ubiquiti have which requires a Masters degree in networking.

I have two homes with Amplifi gear and two Sonos systems in each, never had to do anything special to get them to work. One has an HD and two Instants, the other has four HDs.

You shouldn’t even need a Boost ( or reserving IP addresses) as Amplifi understands how to pass broadcasts correctly and has a much stronger wifi chipset than older Sonos gear.

Something fundamental seems broken with your configuration, this is the first time ever on this forum an Amplifi user has reported a problem (to my knowledge).

Thanks for all the advice.  I’ve read several places that Sonos systems like to have a device plugged directly into the router or Amplifi.  My app actually suggested this which is one reason I bought the Boost to begin with.  Do you think a Sonos Connect device plugged into the Amplfi would help satisfy this need?  My router is in a closet so I don’t want to plug in a speaker.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for all the advice.  I’ve read several places that Sonos systems like to have a device plugged directly into the router or Amplifi.  My app actually suggested this which is one reason I bought the Boost to begin with.  Do you think a Sonos Connect device plugged into the Amplfi would help satisfy this need?  My router is in a closet so I don’t want to plug in a speaker.  

I doubt it as the WiFi chipset in the Connect is a poor substitute for that in the Amplifi but if it’s easy to try then why not?

UPDATE - I finally broke down and called in a networking professional.   As it turns out I had a wire from my router to the amplifi unit and then had another wire from the amplifi back to the router creating a loop.  I’m surprised the wifi was working at all.  Once that got corrected all the problems went away, the amplifi mesh points started working, so we ended up not needing the sonos boost at all.  I greatly appreciate the feedback and hopefully this thread will help someone else having issues.  Cheers!