Autoplay turntable connected to Five not working

Badge +3

I have Autoplay set to on for my turntable hooked up to my Five. My TT has a phono preamp built in. It plays nicely but it doesn’t autoplay. I have to go into the S2 app and manually do it. I want this to be seamless but does not seem to work. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Veloweave, thanks for reaching out. It should automatically play Line-In audio when Sonos detects a signal is being sent to the Line-In port. Can you please try to check the article about Adjusting Line-In settings and make sure the Autoplay setting on your Five is turned on. If it’s turned on already, disable and reenable it again, and check if there’s any difference. Let us know how well it goes. Thanks! 

Badge +3

@Krishma M 
I am setup correctly as confirmed by the Adjust Line-in setting page you referenced. So what I’ve found is that if I power off my phono preamp each time I’m done listening to the turntable and then of course power it back on when I want to listen again then the Sonos Five will automatically power on and play music. However, if say I am listening to the turntable and then I decide I’d like to stream music via Spotify or a Sonos Station, and then if I want to go back to vinyl the autoplay does not work. I either have to go into the app and choose the Line-in or perhaps power off/on the pre-amp again.

What’s annoying about this is that digital music can easily overtake the Line-in but not the other way around. I’d like for the turntable to take over the speaker when I drop the needle onto a record but that doesn’t appear to be how it works. Am I missing something?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks for your reply, @Veloweave. What I would say is try to pause the music first when playing from Spotify then play your turntable so when Sonos detects a signal is being sent to the Line-In port it will automatically play Line-In audio. Let us know if this helps. Thanks!

I have the same issue I think because my Preamp doesn't have an auto power off, it's always on. There is therefore always a line in signal. If I have played Spotify and want to use autoplay for my turntable, it doesn't work! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I have the same issue I think because my Preamp doesn't have an auto power off, it's always on. There is therefore always a line in signal. If I have played Spotify and want to use autoplay for my turntable, it doesn't work! 

Hi @jspaddock, welcome to the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Have you enabled the Autoplay Line-In feature in the Sonos app? If yes, try to pause the music first when playing from Spotify or any other services then play your turntable so when Sonos detects a signal is being sent to the Line-In port it will automatically play Line-In audio. 

Let us know how it goes. We and the community are always here to help.

Yes autoplay is selected. I think the issue is there's a constant signal being sent to the Five due to the pre amp being always on so it doesn't distinguish between a record being played and the always on signal. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jspaddock, thanks for your response. I don’t think it matters if it has an auto power-off because when Line-In autoplay is enabled and another source is playing if a line input source is started, it should take over the existing source. Can you please submit a diagnostic of your system so we can further check it on our end. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

I’m having the same issue. Autoplay has never worked correctly with my turntable. If I turn the autoplay feature on the app off and then back on it will work ONCE, but if I go back to playing on spotify then pause it and put on a record autoplay does not kick back in and I have to manually select the line in. It will also work if I unplug the line from the back of the unit and replug it in.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @pcmcd, welcome to the Sonos Community! I appreciate you reaching out here as well and I’d be happy to help. So it does that problem after playing from Spotify? Can you please submit a diagnostic report after it fails to autoplay? Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Same here. Autoplay has never worked correctly with my Pro-Ject Essential TT with built-in preamp. Turning autoplay off and on again in the app will work once, but if I go back to streaming on Apple Music or Sonos Radio or whatever then pause it and put on a record, autoplay does not work and I have to manually select the line in Iin the app. Quite annoying.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jens.buettner, welcome to the Sonos Community and appreciate you reaching out here with us. To help you with this, submit a diagnostic report after the autoplay feature fails to do its job. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi. I just had the case again that the autoplay feature didn't work. The confirmation number for the diagnostic report is 2124774481.

Badge +3

Hi,  My post was the OP for this thread.  Looks like I’m not alone in how I wish for Autoplay to work on the turntable.  Today I recreated the issue and submitted a diagnostic report.  That diagnostic report is 2045518497

What I did is before going to bed last night I played a record on the turntable connected to Five.  I have a button on my turntable that turns on/off the built in phone preamp.  I left that button on.  Got up this morning and played another record.  It played nicely and immediately on my Five.  After the record was done I stopped my turntable (but left the phono pre-amp on as I always do) and went into the S2 app and started playing Sonos Radio.  Sonos Radio took over my Five as soon as I chose a station.  Then after a couple of songs I went back to play another record on the turntable and the Five continued playing Sonos Radio, failing to hand-off to the Turntable once the needle was dropped.  I had to tap Browse → Line-In → Turntable in order for the turntable to take over the Five.  So what I’m seeing is that there seems to be a one-way street where a streaming audio source (Sonos Radio, Spotify, Audible, etc.) can take over audio on the Five if the turntable is playing but not the other way around.  I’m not sure if this is the way Sonos intends this to work or not?

@Krishma M 

I am having the same issue with my turntable and five. If I turn auto play off on the app and then on, the auto play function will work when the needle on the turntable comes into contact with the record. However, if I then try and use the auto play function after playing Spotify / radio etc, it won’t. I basically have to reset autoplay each time in the app or select line in within the app which is a bit annoying. 

Badge

Has anyone found a solution for this? I had a Sony TT where the Autoplay feature worked perfect. I recently purchased a U-Turn Orbit and it has not worked a single time. 

Yes.  I bought a preamp that can be turned on and off. When having the line in setting in the Sonos app to level two,this then turns autoplay on each time the preamp is turned on.

Badge

Thanks Mark - so you have to turn your pre amp off/on per use in order for your auto play to work?

Yes that’s correct. But the line in source level at 2 is crucial. If not set at that level, autoplay won’t work. 

Not for me anyway 

Badge

Thanks but the issue with the Source level at 2 is that your audio output will never be as loud as it can be, if you had it set at 8 for example.

You are correct. That’s the trade off for me. 

Hi all.  Will sound like a broken record here (no pun intended), but just set up my Sonos 5 with a preamp and it will not autoplay.  Have to go into the app and press play every time we put a record on for it to work.  I do not use the 5 for any other form of streaming, so it’s set up and used solely for our turntable, so not sure if it’s the same root cause as identified above.  Do I need a preamp that has an on/off switch, as mine does not.  Seems like that shouldn’t be required but after trying a number of things I’m stuck.

Badge

Try setting your “source level” to very low. My auto play would not work until I had it set to Level 1 (Low). This is obviously not ideal but if my auto play will kick on than it is considered a win to me. 

Thanks for the tip Drew.  Unfortunately I tried and that didn’t work either.  It was set to Level 2, tried Level 1 and then all other levels just to see.  Still nothing.  Have to go into the app and hit play everytime.  Tried for the first time streaming a separate music service, and then turning on the record player to see if it cut over.  That didn’t happen either, it kept streaming and I had to manually switch it over.  Frustrating. 

Hi Gregory,

I had this issue for a while but now managed to sort it. Your preamp needs to have an on off switch. I ordered a Schiit mani and in works perfectly fine. I previously thought there was an issue with the source level as well but now I have source level at eight using the new preamp and it works fine every time.

I assume any preamp with on off would be fine by the way. Not plugging the mani. 

hope this helps.