• 15 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Dear all,

I am using Deezer Family with my Sonos system:

• 4 pairs of Sonos One, one of the pairs with a Sub
  • 2 Play 5
  • Sonos Controller S1
  • All fixed IPs

When I group more than 3 pairs of Sonos One (incl. Sub), the 4th pair starts the music with a delay, and then starts/stops randomly. With only 3 pairs (incl. Sub), there is no problem. It doesn’t matter which pairs I group, but as soon as I have more than 7 loudspeakers grouped, it doesn’t work any more.

Funnily enough, everything (up to all 11 loudspeakers) works perfectly with my NAS. Stable, fast, no issue at all.

It’s neither a internet connection issue (600Mb fibre), nor an access point issue, as it is close to the loudspeakers.

Nor is it a Wifi interference issue, as there is only one access point with 2.4GHz, and no interfering signals (checked with a Wifi analyzer). Also tried all different wireless channels.

Nor is it my access point. Tried setup with Sonos Boost. Much worse than now where I can play at least 6 Sonos One and my Sub simultaneously.

Logged all devices out of Deezer, logged in again first through Sonos (in case in was a number of devices issue). No change.

Tried rebooting, reinstalling, reconnecting, everything. I also read everything on the web. The only thing which I haven’t tried yet is to install Spotify.

Can anybody help?

2 replies

Why not submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

For what it’s worth, I’m never comfortable with a statement saying “it is close to the loudspeakers”. That can cover a multitude of potential issues, even with reserved IP addresses for all speakers. Wifi interference happens in all sorts of potential ways that have nothing whatsoever to do with proximity. But, it’s also possible that the issue you’re experiencing has nothing to do with that either, since your local files appear to be working. Which leads me to suggest the whole “diagnostic / hard data” thing being more useful than not.  

What are your WiFi and SonosNet settings? Some questions that initially came to mind here are…

I assume you put the devices on the least-used non-overlapping wireless channels. but did you try a channel width of 20MHz for the 2.4Ghz WiFi band on your router?

Did you remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos products when running all on their SonosNet connection and did you position your Boost at least a metre away from your router, when wired?

Sometimes connections between devices can be problematic due interference nearby can you post your network matrix, when all are running on SonosNet, just to see if there any problems that may stand out for you to perhaps take a closer look at.