Answered

Apple TV wont connect with Airplay

• 3 September 2020
  • 24 replies

I am using 2 Sonos one SL with my Apple TV HD as the audio output. My system had been working great for weeks and all of a sudden the speakers are unable to connect via the Apple TV. The speakers are working fine through my MacBook and iPhone but not Apple TV. I have reset the speakers, router and Apple TV and nothing changes. Please help! This is very frustrating and I haven’t been able to find a solution…..

icon

Best answer by plusz 17 November 2020, 09:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mbritton3589.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

To better understand, are these speakers not showing in the Airplay device list using Apple TV HD, or are you getting error when connecting to Airplay? 

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thanks for replaying! Yes the speaker show up on the list but i’m getting an error and unable to connect. I did plug one of the speakers into the router via ethernet and it seemed to fix the issue. I felt like I was going crazy after hours of trouble shooting and getting nowhere. 

Just submitted a diagnostic report  1497895757

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mbritton3589.

Thanks for your response.

I’m glad that you’re able to fix it, you did great!

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there are NO issues detected by the system at the time it was submitted. 

Quite possible, when you switch to SonosNet wherein one of the speakers is wired directly to the router, that resolves whatever connection issue between the devices.

For now, we won’t able to tell what could have really caused the issue, but it’s best if you can keep this kind of (wired) setup to reduce wireless interference around Sonos products.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Cheers!

I have exactly the same issue.
It started a few days ago.

I’m able to see only one option ‘TV Speakers’ in Apple TV

No Sonos devices.  It was there for more than 1 year.

It is probably NOT Sonos issue. I have similar with another airplay device - Marantz.

Workaround is to control sound streaming for Apple TV from iPhone. 
However it is not possible to change volume with Apple TV remote.

Same issue here - Apple TV4k not indicating Sonos system in Deafult Audio option, only TV Speakers visible there. Using to stream video to Projector and sound to Beam plus 2x Surrounds.  It was working well until yesterday night. Sonos and Apple TV connected to same WiFi. Airplay from I-phone to Sonos works well. Reset/Restart of Apple/Sonos/Router - no change. Any idea what is happening…? 

I opened separate topic on Apple forum. No answer yet.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252042991

Same issue here. Projector attached to Apple TV 4K with Beam + 2 x ONEs connected via airplay. Happened last night after I had to remove and relink One’s. Thought it was that. 

Plusz can you elaborate on your workaround. 

Hi guys, 

I started having the same problem where the Apple TV’s audio output doesn’t show other options other than the tv speakers. I haven’t seen much solution but I found you still can connect to your Sonos by going to Hulu or any streaming service 

then select any movie/show & once it starts playing > swipe down on the apple remote, where it will show you different options (info,subtitles,audio) > select audio > choose your preferred Sonos speaker 🙂. I have attached photos if you don’t understand! 

There is another, much easier option.
Someone just told me on Apple forum.
It was planned by Apple that way:

1. hold down TV Button
  2. move down, to the last row
  3. in the middle there is an icon for 'airplay sharing' - similar to other devices with iOS. We can select one or multiple devices there.

Main advantage is that we don't have to select this again and again after turning off/on apple tv. It looks that now it remembers most recent selection.

ISSUE RESOLVED. SOLUTION PROVIDED ABOVE.

Hi, same issue. Can’t connect Sonos speaker w/ Apple TV/airplay. How did you solve this?

I tried “audio output” on Apple TV setting, but it does not appear…

i then tried to set it directly within the show, but again sonos does not appear 

im running an Apple TV HD (w/ most recent updates). 

sonos won’t show up in my Apple podcasts either (on my phone), but it does work via Spotify app. 

it is already solved.
This option is in another place

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252042991

to clarify

1. hold down TV Button
  2. move down, to last row
  3. in the middle there is an icon for 'airplay sharing' - similar to other devices with iOS. We can select one or multiple devices there.

regards,

Piotr

Even though we are able to connect to sonos setup from control center. One main issue i see is, i am not able to use wireless audio sync option available in apple tv settings to sync audio and video and there seems to be lag because of this.

Need to let apple know that they can’t just take feature out in software update and ruin experience for us.

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem, the Sonos devices do not show in the menu General > Video & Audio > Default Audio Output. They appear however in the TV side menu but the connection to the Sonos always fails. 

None of the solutions above can resolve this recurring problem.

Any other idea ?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi everyone. Thank you for your patience in this. If the provided resolution above was followed and the issue still persists, it will be helpful to submit a diagnostic report on the Sonos app after a few minutes when the issue happens and reach out to Sonos Supportas we can take a closer look and discuss it with all of you individually in real-time. 

Kindly give us a call to work with a technician live and create a troubleshooting ticket, they'll start with checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.

There is another, much easier option.
Someone just told me on Apple forum.
It was planned by Apple that way:

1. hold down TV Button
  2. move down, to the last row

Main advantage is that we don't have to select this again and again after turning off/on apple tv. It looks that now it remembers most recent selection.

Thank you! I recently had this problem- and this answer totally fixed it for me.

hi, I have the same issue since a few days too. 

Set upo: Apple tv 4k HDMI connected to a projector and airplaying audio to sonos one speakers.

What I see in the settings is

default audio output: tv speakers

that’s it

when I follow the TV Button shortcut explained above I did see the sonos speakers, I connect to them (I could see the checkbox ticked), but then it failed to actually connect to the speakers, and ended up  reverting to the projector speakers. When I enter again in the TV Button screen I see the tv speakers ticked, not the Sonos as I could see when I left this screen.

I believe it’s an Apple’s problem, but as you can see from their laconic response on their forum, they are doing little to solve the issue. Possibly Sonos can force Apple to fix this, as Sonos can speak in the name of its community. 

I have the same issue and none of the fixes above works. I haven’t done any updates lately and from one day to another (night between 4th and 5th of Dec) the Sonos won’t play sound from Apple TV. Spotify (ie) works. I have issued a status report with id 1798232015. 

Is there someone who has a answer to the problem?

regards Johan

I tried the home button but still doesn’t work for me :-/ 

the sound still comes out from the TV.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi everyone. We appreciate your patience in working through this and please accept my sincerest apologies for the delayed response time.

If you are still experiencing the issue, it would be best to reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look into this in real-time. You can give us a call and work with a technician live, they'll start by checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.

Badge

Hi same issue here. Speakers don’t appear on the Apple TV default speaker list and when I use the TV button and select the speakers there the sound still doesn’t work. This is so stupid! This is a brand new speaker bought to use with my projector w/o speakers. Having to go two menues deep to set the sound is dumb! I’ll have to return this. If I can’t figure this out how can my 8 year old?

Same problem as above. None of the solutions offered in this thread cause the Sonos speakers to appear on the list of available devices. 

I also contacted the Sonos Customer Support team directly, and submitted a diagnostics report, but no solution was offered. 

Badge

In the end you have to use the control center on the right side of the screen that comes out when you hold the TV button down on the Apple TV remote. You can select the Sonos there. It’s separate from selecting the speaker in the menus. It’s just a hassle if you always use the same speaker as I do. It also doesn’t automatically connect to the speaker even if that’s the last speaker you used or maybe you were using the speaker to play music on and now you want to switch to the apple tv.  You’d have to select it again. It’s puzzling why they don’t allow you to make a wireless speaker the default speaker.