adding speakers

• 7 January 2024
  • 13 replies

Badge

I have two Klipsch 8 ohm ceiling speakers.  I have a Sonos amp but already have four non Sonos floor speakers connected to it.  Is there a way to add the Klipsch speakers to the Sonos system?  Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

You can add a second Sonos Amp to power the in-ceiling speakers and either use them as surrounds with the first Amp or just group the two together in the Sonos app.

Badge

Thanks for the fast response!  I should have mentioned I was hoping to not spend $600 to add speakers that only cost $100.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

An impedance matching speaker controller/switch would likely do the job.

Badge

Thanks for the idea.  I’ve never used a switch before.  Would I wire all 6 of the non-Sonos speakers to the switch and then connect the switch to the Amp or do I just connect the 2 additional speakers to the switch and leave the other 4 connected to the Amp?  I appreciate your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Amp to switch, switch to speakers.

That way the switch can manage the connections and impedance.

Badge

So the AMP has 2 sets of speaker terminals.  The Switch has 2 sets of terminals labelled “AMP” and speaker connects for 4 sets.  I have 3 sets of speakers.  I connect all three to the switch and then run speaker wire to one of the AMP speaker terminals?  I apologize.  I’m new at this.  The ARC was a gift.  I’m thankful, but I had a Sony receiver with speakers attached.  This is a whole different world.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos Amp to switch amp connections. Pay attention to the + & - as well as right and left.

Each speaker should go to the output of the switch, again watching he + & - as well as right and left.

So four conductors from the Amp to switch.

Four conductors from the switch to each pair of speakers.

You will have one set of speaker terminals left open.

The switch should have at least a minimal manual with a couple wiring diagrams to help out.

How are you using the SONOS ARC? Is this intended to be a surround system?

Badge

Stanley, thank you so much.  Buzz, I am not attempting surround.  With my system, we are mostly listening to music or watching regular TV, Hulu, or Netflix.  So, just stereo.  I just have some speakers in the ceiling that aren’t doing anything and it seems like a shame.

Stanley, thank you so much.  Buzz, I am not attempting surround.  With my system, we are mostly listening to music or watching regular TV, Hulu, or Netflix.  So, just stereo.  I just have some speakers in the ceiling that aren’t doing anything and it seems like a shame.

Something like this perhaps…

I’m not keen on this sort of switchbox because there is no ability to separately control Volume on each pair of speakers. Unless your speakers are exactly the same efficiency and you are the same distance from each pair of speakers, one pair will dominate. There are control boxes with a Volume control for each pair of speakers.

Another issue is that with multiple speakers there will be a ‘wash’ of music, rather than a focused sound stage. This is good or bad, depending on your personal preferences.

Finally, I don’t suggest that you attempt to simultaneously play TV through ARC and and the other speakers. There will be a slight time offset between TV audio and the other speakers. There will be no offset when playing music through all of the speakers.

Badge

My next question was regarding the volume control.  I now have my 4 floor speakers wired directly to the AMP and can adjust their volume using the Sonos app.  If I run them all through a switch, would the app no longer have volume control for the 4 floor speakers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Amp would still have control - but only of all four together.

A fancier switch will offer individual volume (down) control for each pair once the Amp sets the maximum level.