Adding a Sub

• 14 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello all.

I have a Sonos ZP120 which works under the Sonos 1 app just fine, i can't find any info about Sonos discontinuing either, just they say they've discontinue support for ZP120.

On the topic of this amp, i have B&W 607s running through it (sitting on a shelf) and want to improve the low end. I was about to invest in some Atacama Moseco 7 stands (£140) and a REL Tzero MKIII (£370) and it occurred to me maybe i should put that money (£510) towards floor standers or something else (Id probably get £200 for the 607s)

I like the Sonos 'system' and the family can all choose music to play from their phones.

8 replies

The ZP120 has a subwoofer out jack to use with a powered sub, if you want to go that route.

I saw that - the crossover is 80Hz i believe. If i connect a sub to that, would everything below 80hz be cut off from my 607’s? Probably give them a chance to perform better.

Would you just suggest a Sonos Sub or can we suggest other makes here?

I saw that - the crossover is 80Hz i believe. If i connect a sub to that, would everything below 80hz be cut off from my 607’s? Probably give them a chance to perform better.

Would you just suggest a Sonos Sub or can we suggest other makes here?

Yes that crossover works as stated.  Unfortunately, no currently sold Sonos Sub works with a ZP120, they are S2 only.  You would need to use a 3rd party sub, or buy a Sonos Gen 1/2 Sub used.

I would go with standmount speakers that do better bass - but keeping in mind that the modest power output of the 120 does not fall short of what the speakers need. With floorstanders you are paying for all the extra cabinetry as well, and that affects the value for money side of things.

Thanks Kumar.

Any recommendations for standmounts with better bass?

I'm also aware that using a REL sub would not remove any of the bass signal (when using the sub out on the ZP120 would?) from the stereo speakers which I'm assuming would help them in the miss - but I don't know. 

I never want my music loud, just clear. I think I'm fine with the ZP120.

Wx

The obvious upgrade would be the 606 from the same make - for once, What HiFi has a balanced opinion:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/bandw-606-vs-607-speakers-which-should-you-buy

But I also suggest KEF Q350 as one’s deserving a serious look/audition. 

Both will find the 120 to be an adequate amp, but which speaker involves subjective matters regarding which you prefer for the sound delivered, so don’t buy any before a good audition. Preferably at home, placing them exactly where the old ones sit, for the testing.

I never want my music loud, just clear. I think I'm fine with the ZP120.

For the clarity preference, I also suggest Dali as a make. Since 2014 I have their small Zensor 1 model supplied by a 120 and I remain happy at how they play jazz/blues, although a little bass light as expected for their size.

I am not up to date with their latest models, but if you look for a Dali standmount of approximately the same size as the 606, those should also serve well.

PS: I would also rate Dali as a make to be the one that will impose the least stress on the 55 watts per channel 120 amp.

A catch up here.

1. I have the B&W 606’s, helps if i actually refer to the correct speakers.
  2. Ive since mounted them on Atacama Moseco 7s filled with kiln dried sand and the difference is amazing.

That might be it, ill do some more listening.