Answered

Access denied to Synolog NAS server – can’t play files in one room other rooms are fine?

• 29 April 2023
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Access denied to Synolog NAS server – can’t play files in one room other rooms are fine?

I am a long time user of Sonos. I have 4 zones that all uses S1. I do have a Roam also (S2) but hardly ever uses it at my home.

My zones are: 

Office: two Play 5: gen1

Livingroom: Soundbar, Sub and two Play:3

Room 3: Play:1

Room 4: Play:1

I do have a booster as well. 

Out of the I can no longer play my music files from my Synology NAS – BUT only in my office…. I can play my files in the livingroom, room 3 and 4 – but NOT in my office.

I have tried from my MacBookPro App and from my iPhone app – but it will not play the files. Radio and streaming services are doing fine.

I can perfectly see my files/folders in the app – but access for playing is denied in my office. If I combine livingroom with office I can play the files in the office – but I can not start music from files in the office.

On my NAS I have 5 different main folders with files and it is all the same. Will not play in office but other zones are playing fine.

All systems are updated and I have rebooted computer, iPhone, modem, router, server, Play:5’s.

Can someone help me?

icon

Best answer by sjw 7 May 2023, 15:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Perfect.

OK, firstly, we will take a backup of the file!

Type:

cp smb.conf smb.conf.Rob  (that gives you a backup)

Now type:

vi smb.conf    Press enter

This takes you into a text editor in the smb.conf file

Check the line unix extensions=no isn’t already there.

Now press the down arrow until you reach the end of the file.

Type the letter o.  It should put the cursor below the last line - and you can now insert text.

Type the line unix extensions=no

Then press the esc key (top left of keyboard) a couple of times.

Now press the : key.  (Shift ;)

The cursor should go to the bottom of the file.

Type wq and then enter.

That writes the changes and quits out of the text editor.

The change is now made.

I don’t know if a reboot is needed for them to take effect - try it…

If anything seems to go wrong when you are in the file, press escape a couple of times, then : and then q! and enter.  This will quit the editor and make no changes.

Badge

Perfect, that did the job. Thank you so mu.

Great help. Much appreciated.

Enjoy your day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Problem fixed yes?

Badge

Yes, thanks so much, I changed back the setting to use SSH.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OK great, I’ll put all the instructions into one post.

Connect to the NAS via SSH (use PUTTY). (you may have to enable SSH in the NAS Control Panel)

Type sudo -i  (note the space after sudo).

Press enter. (it should give a slightly humorous prompt).

Type the root password.

Type cd /etc/samba  Press enter

Then type ls -al (they are lowercase L’s)

It should list the smb.conf file.

Type cp smb.conf smb.conf.backup  (that gives you a backup)

Now type:

Type the letter o.  It should put the cursor below the last line - and you can now insert text.

Type wq and then enter.

The change is now made.

If anything seems to go wrong when you are in the file, press escape a couple of times, then : and then q! and enter.  This will quit the editor and make no changes.

Badge

Great, I am sure this will help others as well.

Userlevel 1

Connect to the NAS via SSH (use PUTTY). (you may have to enable SSH in the NAS Control Panel)

Type the root password.

Now type:

Type wq and then enter.

The change is now made.

Thank you very much. After the update Synology my Sonos system failed, but with this help it's working again. You're a genius!

Userlevel 1

Type the root password.

Now type:

Type wq and then enter.

The change is now made.

Thanks champion!!!

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have 8 rooms; Synology DS920 NAS; 3 rooms couldn’t play music from the NAS; getting the “access denied” error; I am using Windows 10 Home on a Dell XPS 13; Sonos S1 app

I had removed and added NAS music folders as well as re-booted the offending Sonos speakers in the 3 rooms - that didn’t help

I followed the Connect to the NAS via SSH (use PUTTY) from @sjw and then rebooted the NAS and everything worked. FYI, my root pswd was the same as the initial login pswd.  

Thanks, Mike

Thanks sjw, initially I had rolled back the SMB package to an earlier version to fix the “access denied” problem but your SMB.conf tweak using the latest SMB is obviously a more elegant solution.

Thanks heaps for this answer. 

sjw wrote:

Thank you, gyus, for this solution. It works for me as well on the most recent release of my Synology NAS. Big relief for my family.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Adding ‘unix extensions=no to smb.conf worked for me, sonos S1 accessing usb ssd on a pi3b+ running ubuntu sever. Thanks

Like so many others, I have a signig=ficant investment in Sonos S1 hardware. This enables my family to continue using the speakers with our NAS.

THANKS sjw -- Not all heroes wear capes!

Question…

Should I avoid future SMB service updates?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Linux has a hold command to stop apt-get update for a specific package. Alternatively, I flashed an image of the pi disc to my computer that I can revert to if it goes wrong again.

Thanks to @sjw for the instructions - you have helped extend the life of the v1 Connect in my home office for hopefully another year or two. 

Another satisfied user.  Thank-you jsw!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I just don’t know how to Connect to the NAS via SSH….

And will it work the next time Synolog makes a new firmware update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You need to enable ssh and follow the Guide posted.

Depending on how Synology do updates would decide if they change the conf file each time but the setting would be changeable again.

Karstenjensen.dk:   

My Sonos stuff is old and it worked perfectly for me.  I can’t praise sjw enough. 

You turn on the SSH in your Synology control panel via your ...direct.quickconnect.to... connection to your server.  Once you are logged in:

Click on Control Panel

Click on Terminal & SNMP, it should come up on the terminal screen and you will see Enable SSH service.  Click the box.  If you don’t see Enable SSH sevice then check the tab above to make sure you are in the Terminal screen and not the SNMP screen.

Once you click the box SSH is enabled.

Google “Putty” and read about how it works and then download it and install it and start it. 

Once you do that follow sjw’s instructions and type them in EXACTLY as written.  (I left out a space on the cd command and was momentarily sad.)

The length of the instruction post looks intimidating but it is easy.  Just take it one step at a time.  Especially intimidating is the “humorous” UNIX/Linix?  message when you crank up the text editor.  It may be humorous to a Unix wiz but it even made this old VMS guy take a deep breath.  But just chill and go with the flow.  

The instructions work perfectly. Take them a step at a time. 

So sjw I was wondering.

Is an enabled SSH a security risk?  After executing your guide should we disable SSH so no one else can get in that way?

Just curious.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

All I would say is disabling it again can't do any harm..? If your NAS isn't exposed to the Internet it's not an issue anyway but at the end of the day we should all reduce our exposure to risks..

Karstenjensen:dk

I’m sorry.  I forgot a step.

After clicking the SSH enable box you have to click the Apply button in the lower right corner of your screen.

Sorry.  I’m old.  I forget stuff, sometimes.👴🏻   

Type the root password.

Now type:

Type wq and then enter.

The change is now made.

After clicking the SSH enable box you have to click the Apply button in the lower right corner of your screen.

WOW Great! I have been trying to resolve this issue for weeks! I followed your instructions I can now play all my music library's……………..Karstenjensen:dk your a legend! Thanks

WOW Great! I have been trying to resolve this issue for weeks! I followed your instructions I can now play all my music library's…………….. your a legend! Thanks