Answered

13 yo system

• 21 April 2024
  • 5 replies

My Sonos was professionally installed 13 years ago.  I have a bridge and a connect:amp.  The connect is wired to two outdoor rock speakers.  It looks like either my bridge died or the power supply did.  I have the bridge connected to my wireless router but there are no lights indicating a connection.  What’s my best alternative to get this up and running without spending much?  Thanks!!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 April 2024, 19:45

View original

5 replies

In my opinion, the Sonos BRIDGE is way past ‘end of life’, and it’s fairly well know, at least in this forum, to frequently have a flaky power supply. 

You could potentially just try replacing the power supply fairly inexpensively, if that is what has failed. Or, the BRIDGE’s replacement was the BOOST, although that has stopped being manufactured as well…if you can find one, it’s a good solution/replacement. I have one, and use it.

But ultimately, Sonos is moving away from that kind of device, and has made their speakers handle those duties themselves. You might, if possible, run an Ethernet cable to one of your Sonos speakers, which should, after five minutes or so, to let the system ‘settle down’, should work as well as the BRIDGE. Or, if wiring to one of your current speakers is hard, and you’re unable to find a BOOST,  replace your BRIDGE with another Sonos speaker. When wired with that Ethernet cable, it takes on the same duties as the BRIDGE. 

Thanks for the guidance.  I’ll try the power supply replacement first.  The connect:Amp is connected to two Paradigm outdoor rock speakers, I don’t have any Sonos speakers in the system.  If I remember correctly, the bridge is the connection to the internet and the connect:Amp connects wirelessly to that.  Can the connect:Amp be connected directly to the router instead?  Or do I just need to start over with newer technology if the bridge is dead?  

Just make sure the replacement power supply you get matches the old Sonos one in volts, amperage, and orientation. Shouldn’t be too hard, just need to be careful. And yes, wiring an Ethernet cable directly to the CONNECT:AMP is essentially the same as my use if ‘speaker’ in my original answer. No need to go with ‘newer technology’ if you don’t want to. Although if you did, the Sonos Amp is the replacement device for the CONNECT:AMP ;) 

Oh, as a thought, your CONNECT:AMP might be able to see and connect to your WiFi signal directly, without requiring either a power supply for the BRIDGE, or any other replacement. Worth testing, to see, not spending any money is better than the alternative. It just depends on the strength of your WiFi in the location where your CONNECT:AMP is. 

Just following up on this one.  The power supply replacement did fix the issue.  The bridge is still working!!  Thanks for the quick replies Bruce!!

Glad you’re ‘fixed’, but fair warning, that BRIDGE is fairly ancient tech at this point. If you can’t run an Ethernet cable straight to a regular Sonos device, you can either get a (now no longer made) BOOST, or if your internet signal is enough, just have your Sonos devices connect to that. OTOH, if it’s working now, no need to change anything, until / if it ‘breaks’ again. ;)