Zp 24/96

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1012 replies

Userlevel 2
Whoa! Does a person have no right to express his opinion about the issue he feels strongly about?

Trevgrif, keep on requesting for this feature. You are a customer and have every right to ask for this. I have been patiently waiting for this support since 2005...

SONOS has a great product, great support, great team, but I just have never been all that excited with the lack of feedback on future functionality.

At the same time SONOS has been very conservative about what they release hence they have a very stable environment with very few bugs. 24/96 is definitely a must moving forward. I will probably give the Squeezebox Touch a try when it is released for this support in my high end system... but I know in the end I will be back to my SONOS system... http://forums.sonos.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Userlevel 2
At the moment I am just using iTunes to play 24 96 files and controlling it through my iPhone so I can play them on my main system. Obviously the options are limited. I wouldn't change my Sonos system though. I too appreciate the conservative approach which has resulted in a mainly bug free system.
Trevgrif,
You can carry on expressing your opinion, but others (including myself) are equally allowed to disagree with you.

In this case there are people who seem to think that their specific feature request is more important than others out there, and that their specific feature request should have priority or special treatment.

We were just explaining why that could be considered as unreasonable.

I understand you feel strongly about this, but others feel strongly about their favourite feature requests. Why do you think Sonos should give you special treatment over those people by commenting on their future plans for this? That may not have been your intent when posting, but that is essentially what you were asking for.

I'm sure you would be mightily upset if Sonos posted their plans for (for instance) crossfading support, but said nothing about hires support.

I'm not criticising anyone's support for this. I actually believe some form of hires support would be a good thing to have.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Majik, if you could quote one instance in my post where I suggested that my 'specific feature request should have priority or special treatment' or that it was 'more important than others', then I will apologize for having a selfish attitude. My post merely addressed one particular issue and requested a response. If I had to, in a future post, request that the bit rate of a track be displayed on the screen, would that also be selfish in that I would be considered to have no regard to those wanting other features? If you want something, just write and request it. Why should we fear posting in case you think we are being selfish?
Majik, if you could quote one instance in my post where I suggested that my 'specific feature request should have priority or special treatment' or that it was 'more important than others', then I will apologize for having a selfish attitude.

Let's see now...

I have heard about their policy of not announcing anything until it happens, but if they have no intention of ever supporting 24 96 then why not just post a reply to say so.

...because they are not going to support 24 96, then let us know.

I feel their lack of comment only serves to invite hope, real or false, and this is unfair to their customers!

and

My post merely addressed one particular issue and requested a response.
If this isn't asking for an exception to their policy of not commenting on future developments, I don't know what is!

If I had to, in a future post, request that the bit rate of a track be displayed on the screen, would that also be selfish in that I would be considered to have no regard to those wanting other features? If you want something, just write and request it. Why should we fear posting in case you think we are being selfish?

Firstly no-one needs to "live in fear" unless they post a direct personal attack, but anyone who posts an opinion or who makes a claim which is in any way controversial should be prepared to be challenged on it by other users who may disagree, challenge their claims, or take exception to the content of their post.

Secondly my post wasn't addressed just to you but to the community in general. There have been those who have expressed in a lot stronger terms than you that they feel that their pet feature request somehow deserves special treatment (such as getting a comment from Sonos). I was pointing out, in general, why this is unreasonable and, yes, selfish.

Finally, as I said before, I have no problem at all in people wanting features even if I don't want them myself. It's the attitude that any specific feature requests deserves special consideration or treatment (such as getting a comment from Sonos) that's the problem.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
The bottom line is that I do not agree with their policy! If they KNOW they will never include a feature, I think we have a right to be informed, WHATEVER the feature is. That is why I also wrote to them. Read my post anyway you please - I am not asking for a special exception. I do not consider this feature superior to any other - we all have different applications and expectations. I just happened to use this feature because it is top of MY agenda right now.
OK so you disagree that Sonos don't publish a roadmap or comment on future developments.

But that's not what you said, even if that's what you meant.

In any case, there are very good reasons behind them not commenting on this sort of thing. Very few successful companies do.

One of the reasons is that running a development isn't as simple as you obviously think it is. A typical development team will never completely discount a good idea. However, they will have a development priority list and it may remain low on that list (and therefore not worked on) for an extended period or even forever. This doesn't mean they've made a specific policy decision to never do it. Priorities and feature lists change. Never say never.

Also, unless they've actually tried developing it, they may not know whether a specific feature is even possible or not.

The best answer any company can have on this sort of thing is probably the one you have already been given.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Magik, I did not think my post would be interpreted in the way it was. This was not my intention. Placing a slightly different emphasis on certain words and phrases can convey an intention other than what was intended.

Let's rather work together for an even better product and hope that Sonos takes note of at least some of our comments and suggestions.:)

Let's rather work together for an even better product and hope that Sonos takes note of at least some of our comments and suggestions.:)

I agree.

For the record, I'm not against this feature request. I think it would be a good thing to have.

And I would encourage any user who wants to support an idea to post their support for it. If they feel passionate about it, then they should even write to Sonos, like you did. It can't hurt, and may help.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Right, now as I was saying about putting the bit rate info on the screen...!!!:D
Userlevel 2
What I would like is a audiophile version of the ZP90 with support up to 192k but with everything else optimised for improved SQ for the hifi geeks, similar to the Logitech Transporter (without the ugly LCDs!).
Userlevel 2
I'll add another vote for 24/96. I'm running 24/96-capable Meridian speakers. And if I tell you that they're about 10 years old it makes this seem a bit overdue!

S
Userlevel 2
One vote for 24 bit audio here.
Userlevel 2
I would definately be willing to buy a Zone Player that supported higher resolution - if my other zone players couldn't handle the files, they should be taggable as such so I don't try to play them on low-res players (and so I could store and differentiate a lower-res copy for distribution around the rest of the system)
Userlevel 2
Up to 24/192, please. Your competitors are depending on you NOT to do it. I would buy a high-res capable ZP-90 in a heartbeat (because of my already significant investment in Sonos, I might add).

A paying customer.
Userlevel 2
Up to 24/192, please.
+1 for that...
Userlevel 2
+2 actually

A friend of mine is on a Linn system these days, but is considering switching. HiRes is a dealbreaker for him though...
Userlevel 2
In the big scheme of things 24/192 could be considered a significant extravagance relative to 24/96. 24/96 should provide all but the smallest advantages of 24/192. I think the most important thing would be to support 24 bit depth, with a minimum of 48k sample rate. 24/96 seems to be the “audiophile” sweet spot with fidelity vs. bandwidth. Still a significant increase over the max 16/48 that Sonos supports now.

While I think that a “high-res” zone player is somewhat of at niche feature, but it’s also a hot button that could bring performance-oriented consumers (that are known to spend considerable sums on hardware) into the mainstream fray and also give them a pathway to whole-house audio. My thinking is still that high-res is probably a one-zone feature within the Sonos system, while the balance of a multi zone system will be “regular” 16-bit resolution. In the remainder of the regular 16-bit zones, the higher resolution source material would be down-sampled to 16/48. I would hope that one hi res zone would also ease the wireless network requirements and keep the inclusion of hi-res possible.

Whatever form the final implementation of 24/96 is, the lack of its inclusion is my only disappointment with the Sonos system.

DanG
I would hope that one hi res zone would also ease the wireless network requirements and keep the inclusion of hi-res possible.

This would be very tricky from a wireless networking standpoint because the actual files would be larger. Imagine the case where the "premium" zone was at the end of a long string of wireless links. One could not down sample until the stream reached the premium zone. This becomes more interesting if something happens in the wireless mesh that requires restructuring.

One approach might be to include with or attach the storage to the premium zone and limit the system to one premium zone per system or require a wired connection for any other premium zones. From a marketing perspective this would tarnish the "wireless everywhere" aspect of the system.
Userlevel 2
Hi Buzz. I see your point about the possibilities of wireless networking issues. I just think that there must be a way to make it work. If Slim Devices can do it....

I think one pemium zone per system would do it. I would sure do it for me. It just irks me a bit when I have to get up and open Media Monkey, switch inputs, etc, to play my higher rez files. I would even take a wired-only premium zone if necessary, but I certainly understand the need to provide enough convenience features to make this feature practical.

I bet that Sonos has the collective brain power to figure out a solution to make this work.🆒

DanG
Userlevel 1
Given that one zone MUST be wired anyway I wouldn't have a problem with having a 24-bit compatible ZP in place of the ZP90 I've got plugged into the router already.
Userlevel 2
Seems like a 24/96 implementation would require a new piece of wired equipment (unless the 802.11n mesh is fast enough) similar to the zp90 with a faster processor.

Based on the lack of response from SONOS on this subject... seems that sharing 5.1 SACD/DVD-A material to wireless satellites of current generation hardware would be problematic.

Building a dedicated piece of equipment for high res material (isolated high-res multi-channel zone) would make sense. This equipment could still act as a bridge for the low definition components in the SONOS mesh.

Hail the new ZP90/HD 🙂
Userlevel 2
(cyborgen said):

["Building a dedicated piece of equipment for high res material (isolated high-res multi-channel zone) would make sense. This equipment could still act as a bridge for the low definition components in the SONOS mesh.

Hail the new ZP90/HD :-)"]

BINGO!

DanG
Hi Buzz. I see your point about the possibilities of wireless networking issues. I just think that there must be a way to make it work. If Slim Devices can do it....

Ah, but I don't believe they do. At least not in a true multi-zone way. Bear in mind first and foremost Sonos is a multi-room system designed and delivered from the outset with multi-room syncing capability. The Suqeezebox never was designed for this. It was added on. Despite wild claims to the contrary amongst its fans, it's only been relatively recently that proper multi-zone sync has been available with any degree of stability and even then it's a bit of an afterthought (from both a control and reliability point of view) compared with Sonos.

So in effect the Logitech Transporter is a standalone streamer. The same issues don't apply.

I think one pemium zone per system would do it. I would sure do it for me. It just irks me a bit when I have to get up and open Media Monkey, switch inputs, etc, to play my higher rez files. I would even take a wired-only premium zone if necessary, but I certainly understand the need to provide enough convenience features to make this feature practical.

I think, in general, people don't appreciate that the real value proposition offered by Sonos is that it offers nearly seamless flexibility of "any music in any room, in any combination of synced or not", and this contributes to the ease of use and accessibility of the system. Anything which moves away from this is a retrograde step for the system as a whole.

If they can make a hires player which integrates seamlessly (or, even better, somehow enable hires on the existing platform) then I'm all in favour, but I really don't see any point in a totally standalone player. The trouble is I also think any kind of "halfway house" would be difficult to achieve without some compromises.

Only supporting hires in wired players is probably a reasonable one (I bet in reality very few Transporter users use them wirelessly) although that's not without challenges too.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Hi Majik.

I do appreciate the many excellent features of the Sonos system. I'm a faithful and enthusiastic user for many years.

I really appricate your input and insights. I just want to find a way for Sonos to incorporate hi res, up to 24/96, operation. Plain and simple. ;)

Please Sonos. :)

DanG