Will the next Sub gen 4 do 20Hz ?

• 5 December 2023
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Yes, I know Sub Gen4 won’t be out until 2025.  I just want to add my 2c that your Sub frequency range needs to go as low as 20Hz to accurately reproduce the audible frequency range of ~ 20Hz to 20KHz.  This is the only issue giving me pause about purchasing a Sub gen 3 (which only goes down to 25Hz); well, that and the static issue reported by many in other threads.  Also, the next Sub 4 needs to have a standard low-level in port, so I don’t have to add yet more subs taking up space just because I need sub-in ports.  Thank you for your consideration. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Just curious… what specific music do you listen to where you need a subwoofer that goes as low as 20 Hz?

Also, what is a sub in port, and why would Sonos put any ports at all on their Sub, since it bonds to their other devices wirelessly? What static issue?

Just curious… what specific music do you listen to where you need a subwoofer that goes as low as 20 Hz?

Whale song?

> “…what is a sub in port…”

Also called “LFE” input; it looks like an old-timey RCA jack but requires a thick subwoofer cable which goes between the sub and the LFE output on a receiver (which powers very large speakers).  I use Sonos for full-room lower-volume background music, and a receiver to power very large speakers in small section of the room.  Obvs’ I don’t use both at the same time.  So, I would love to reduce wasted room space on yet more giant subwoofers just because Sonos subs don’t support LFE in.

Also called “LFE” input; it looks like an old-timey RCA jack but requires a thick subwoofer cable which goes between the sub and the LFE output on a receiver (which powers very large speakers).  I use Sonos for full-room lower-volume background music, and a receiver to power very large speakers in small section of the room.  Obvs’ I don’t use both at the same time.  So, I would love to reduce wasted room space on yet more giant subwoofers just because Sonos subs don’t support LFE in.

Never going to happen. The Sonos Sub will only integrate with Sonos systems. It’s not for use as a general-purpose powered sub.

Never going to happen. The Sonos Sub will only integrate with Sonos systems. It’s not for use as a general-purpose powered sub.

Probably, almost assuredly correct, but one of the recent rumors is that Sonos is going to release an 8” in ceiling speaker in the next year or so.  Seems that that would be a passive speaker, which is something most thought they would never do.  A passive ceiling speaker does make some sense if it pairs with the current and/or rumored amp and uses the Mayht woofer technology. If that tech is as good as it sounds, it would make sense for Sonos not only to use it with their amps, but open it for sales paired with any amp/receiver.  Sure, Sonos wants to keep things in their eco-system, but that would create a lot of revenue and get some folks to consider looking at Sonos a bit more.

But regarding a sub, you could make the same sort of argument that adding an LFE port would broaden the market for it, but I think you’d run into complications having a sub be dual purpose, effectively belonging to two zones/rooms, as OP describes.  You’d need a switch of some sort to switch between zones, etc.  I don’t see Sonos making a wired only sub that can’t be used with other Sonos products, except the amp. 

> “… closed system …” 

Ah well, a pity.  So, I need keep my Sonos purchases to a bare minimum devices needed for the task. That means my one cheaper Sonos Sub is plenty, unless a little of the opening up which you mentioned happens, so I’ll check back in on that future amp & woofer; but, yeah, the new sub amp will probably only connect via network cable or wifi like everything else.  At least the Sonos devices have network cable ports, as I wire everything possible to a large network switch to keep the electromagnetic radiation down.  I predict the new sub amp will either have unsoldered LFE port or be separately manufactured without it.  Note, it is possible for Sub to receive input from two sources simultaneously: Left and Right stereo channels, which it down-mixes to mono then applies a low-pass filter (so it only plays the deep base sounds and nothing else).  Thanks all.

Considering the teaser video I think a new total redesign is imminent 1st Quarter modeled after the mini