Who pre-ordered the new Sonos AMP and what are your plans for it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm a little surprised pre-orders opened up and nobody is taking about it 🙂 Delivery by Dec 3rd according to Sonos which is awesome.
I'm currently using a Beam and two Sonos Ones for rears and two stereo HomePods for music in the living room and bedroom as well as smart speakers for Homekit etc.
I was planning on buying a Sonos sub tomorrow since they will be on sale for $599. I'm not sure if I will do that now since I am getting the Amp so soon and can use any sub so there seems to be little advantage to the Sonos sub.
The Elacs are on sale right now so I could get tower speakers and sub from them for $669 from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4WFWZF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL7XWBZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I will continue to use the Sonos Ones as rears.
Any thoughts on any of that? Any advantage to buying a Sonos sub for the app? I can't think of one.
What are other peoples plans for the Amp?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Really interesting. Can you order the turntable by itself?
I’m thinking of a Rega Planar 3 which is also gloss black.
Userlevel 7
Yes, you can order the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut from Sonos as an accessory. Compared to the Rega Planar 3 it comes with a built-in pre-amp; not to mention $500 in savings :8 Honestly, I don't think my old ears could discern $500 difference in audio with the Play 5's.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I would be using it with the amp and third party speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Here is my final setup. I bought Revel Concerta 2 M16 speakers. $450 each. Great sound.
Looks fantastic for sure 🙂. Do you find it sounds bright and in need of significant treble reduction? I don't have personal experience but a number of online reviews suggest this. Is it really so?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I Don’t like treble so chose speakers that are known to be warm. Plus I knocked the treble down by about a third in the amp. It sounds great 🙂
Userlevel 7
Here is my final setup. I bought Revel Concerta 2 M16 speakers. $450 each. Great sound.

Hi

Saw your semi-final setup...Awesome! I said semi-final because you mentioned getting a TT? :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yes I'm still thinking about that 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
One of the things about these speakers that I liked is they are a semi-glossy black that matches the sub almost perfectly 🙂 Sound quality was first but I do care about how things look too.
Userlevel 7
@SOCalistic

I know the music sounds better with your new speakers; but how are you liking the TV audio compared to what you were getting with the Beam? Details please.

You might also think about starting a conversation post relating your experience with the Beam vs your current speaker setup. If you do....be sure to put in a disclaimer regarding your speakers vs the 1000's on the market as everyone's exepreince will not be the same as yours. In that way you possibly negate the noop from replying... "well you said this" :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I play a lot of music and I'm a big fan of stereo separation so the Beam or the Playbar/Playbase would have never been good enough for music for me. Most of the time I had the Beam I also had two stereo paired Homepods in the living room for music. I didn't like using the rears Sonos Ones for music.
Once I realized I could easily turn off the rear Sonos Ones in the app I had the perfect combination for music and Home Theater.
As far as TV dialog goes I like stereo separation for that too. These speaker are very precise and detailed and that extends to TV dialog as well. Dialog enhancement works about half as well as it does with the Beam but I rarely have that turned on.
I use Airplay 2 on the Sonos AMP for multi-room music with as mix of Homepods and Sonos Ones and also for Roon/Tidal. I also subscribe to Pandora and Apple Music so have three music services to choose from and they all have Apple TV apps or I can Airplay from their individual apps.
I play a lot of music and I'm a big fan of stereo separation so the Beam or the Playbar/Playbase would have never been good enough for music for me. Most of the time I had the Beam I also had two stereo paired Homepods in the living room for music. I didn't like using the rears Sonos Ones for music.
Once I realized I could easily turn off the rear Sonos Ones in the app I had the perfect combination for music and Home Theater.
As far as TV dialog goes I like stereo separation for that too. These speaker are very precise and detailed and that extends to TV dialog as well. Dialog enhancement works about half as well as it does with the Beam but I rarely have that turned on.
I use Airplay 2 on the Sonos AMP for multi-room music with as mix of Homepods and Sonos Ones and also for Roon/Tidal. I also subscribe to Pandora and Apple Music so have three music services to choose from and they all have Apple TV apps or I can Airplay from their individual apps.

Out of curiosity, how do you find switching sound between TV and Music? I remember with my playbar (long time ago), Volume levels between music and TV were very different. Switching to TV required volume to be turned up as the audio was much lower than when playing music. Do you find the same with the sonos amp?

Cheers
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Out of curiosity, how do you find switching sound between TV and Music? I remember with my playbar (long time ago), Volume levels between music and TV were very different. Switching to TV required volume to be turned up as the audio was much lower than when playing music. Do you find the same with the sonos amp?Cheers

Switching sound between tv and music is the same.