Answered

Using SONOS without an internet connection

• 28 November 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge
I know this sounds an odd thing to do but I need to setup a SONOS without any internet connection. I have a Connect:amp with two wired speakers. I also have a 2tb headless unit to act as a server for music. In addition 2 x Play3 speakers. I plan to control this all using an Apple iPad.

My question is this what do I need to connect them altogether. I do not intend using it for any streaming services but more as a jukebox, if that makes sense?

Any help/advice is welcome.
icon

Best answer by ratty 28 November 2016, 17:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Get a wireless router, which you'll need for the iPad anyway, but leave its WAN port unconnected.

You'd better make sure that the iPad doesn't auto-update its Sonos controller app from the app store when it's out and about. If it does, the controller will be out of step with the player firmware and functionality will be reduced or it may not even work at all unless/until the firmware is updated. For that you'd need an internet connection.

Also, you'll not be able to expand your Sonos system. A newly delivered unit is likely to have firmware which doesn't match the rest of the system. Again, you'd need an internet connection to update everything.

Also, you'll not be able to expand your Sonos system. A newly delivered unit is likely to have firmware which doesn't match the rest of the system. Again, you'd need an internet connection to update everything.

This is probably the biggest challenge for "off grid" systems. While you wouldn't expect to expand your system with new models or features without upgrading the firmware it is certainly unfortunate that you can't replace a failed unit or add a device of the same vintage to an existing system without doing a full upgrade. It would be nice if you could store a firmware image someplace on your LAN and have the option to point to that local source so you can do simple repairs without a requirement to connect over the Internet and change the entire system.
Badge
Ratty,
Thanks for the reply, I thought all I'd need was a wireless router but wanted to confirm before spending money. I'm happy setting up without internet and understand about the outdated firmware etc so all is good. I'll have a 'jukebox' setup come the weekend 🙂 I will still have the option of upgrading if necessary so all is good.

Thanks all for the help.:D