Question

Sonos in outdoor room

• 13 December 2016
  • 6 replies

I want to use a Sonossystem in our outdoor room there is no heat in the winter. I wonder if it is possible to have and use the speakers there even though it can be cold and damp.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

How cold does it get out there? I do it with mine all the time. My sunroom isn't heated and here in the northeastern US the temps in there can get down to the high teens. My Connect has been out there for eight years without a problem. I also have a Connect in my RV that I leave in there throughout the winter as I still travel sporadically to warmer climates.
The permanent solution would be to install a pair of external speakers, run wires from them to inside the home, and terminate these at the speaker terminals of a Sonos Connect Amp.
Official specs:
Operating Temperature 32º to 104º F (0º to 40º C)
Storage Temperature 4º to 158º F (-20º to 70º C)
I can understand that operating temperature max is lower than storage - for the heat generated in use - but why would it be a problem to play the units at -10 C if they can be stored at -20? Just curious.
They are merely specs to protect themselves and guidelines for yourself. Your mileage may vary. Mine certainly does.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I can understand that operating temperature max is lower than storage - for the heat generated in use - but why would it be a problem to play the units at -10 C if they can be stored at -20? Just curious.Usually min temps ratings are because of things like condensation buildup.