Question

Sonos forced obsolescence

• 16 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
I had a perfectly fine system with my iMac library holding all my music, Sonos controller, Sonos Sub-Woofer, Sonos Connect, Sonos Boost running some nice outdoor speakers, Sonos Playbar for the TV.. you get the idea. Well, the rug was just yanked out from underneath. Controller on the Mac wouldn't work unless I downloaded and installed the software update. I did it. It didn't work. After a lot of checking come to find out the OS on my Mac is not supported and per Sonos it's because Apple won't support it anymore. That's really weak. I have hundreds of software on my Mac and I know if I upgrade the OS then I'll loose a lot of those. I live by the axiom 'If it isn't broke, don't fix it.' Apparently in Apple and Sonos' infinite wisdom it does need fixing even though it all worked fine. I'm sure they could have a stripped down version of what it used to be but really, why couldn't they at least allow me options? Lets see, choose to remain working as it is and forego support that I never use (that includes these phony security updates) OR update, find out you need to update OS, dozens of other softwares, etc.........hm tough call. Nope. They forced it.

And my saying, 'well, I won't buy their product anymore.' yeah, that's great, dumped thousands of dollars and they switch it off. I'm not going to load all those gigs on my phone or ipad as neither can bear the storage. What jerks. I'm done with Apple too. I chatted with the Apple rep online and he said 'really old system'. Right. It works. It works for me. And I want to change it why? Oh, you need more money to build the next hype over your weak phones? Sure, let me just open my wallet. So, they say consumers drive the market? What if they all drank the cool-aid and can't get enough of the crap their selling? Give me a wired Hi-Fi and leave me the hell alone. Pathetic

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Why would you need to use any extra storage on your mobile devices?
I assume you realise that you can leave the music on the Mac and play it using any controller?
Badge
Really. It's ok if they shut down my prime user point of access? Take away how I configured they system? And, really, do you honestly believe that after all the other forced updates on my phone/ipad that at some point I'll be denied access to the Mac altogether? And how about when they say the operating system on my ipad and android is no longer supported? I have the hardware. I paid thousands of dollars. I liked how it worked and how I used it. Now a big chunk of that is gone for good. Maybe I should pay a monthly subscription for the privilege?

Sorry for the rant. I just don't like having stuff taken away from me after I paid lots of money and it still works great. See my reference to 'If it isn't broke.' I buy stuff once, pay for it completely and I'm done. I don't buy a new car every two years. I don't replace stuff just because it's old. I'm old. I work just fine. My stuff just works fine.
I don't replace stuff just because it's old. I'm old. I work just fine. My stuff just works fine.
Brave new world out there though!

I understand your grief and share it, although not to the same extent. I also see this as a price to pay for all the features that Sonos has, that my legacy hifi kit did not offer and this is a trade off one chooses - or doesn't.

I don't agree that Sonos is forcing the obsolescence though; beyond a point, Sonos isn't able to keep you isolated from such actions of others. Apple being the obvious culprit, but so is Google/Android to an extent. And Sonos still hasn't any obsoleted any of its hardware, all of which remains compatible with their latest product. Other than controllers, which they stopped making.
Your Sonos hardware is by no means "obsolete". Apple forces new software releases to be incompatible with Apple''s older hardware, because of Apple''s greedy forced obsolescence model. Get yourself a $50 Amazon tablet as a controller, and all your Sonos hardware will work. Sonos doesn't do planned obsolescence, unlike virtually all its competitors.
OP already has an iPhone and iPad to use as controllers. It's a nonsensical rant about a non-problem.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Maybe something to,consider. Get a NAS, which can be cheap, and copy your music onto that, plug it,into your router and then point your library to it. This provides you with benefits of having a backup of all your music, not having to have your computer switched on and gives a good measure of future proofing.
Sonos still hasn't any obsoleted any of its hardware, all of which remains compatible with their latest product. Other than controllers, which they stopped making.
The CR100 and CR200 controllers may be out of production but even they are not obsolete. Some limitations in functionality, but there are still users using them. If ever there was a company that sought to maintain backwards compatibility, and avoid obsolescence, it is Sonos.