Question

Sonos / Echo Private Beta

• 29 September 2016
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 1
So how would one go about getting on the Echo control private beta?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Not sure yet, but just got mine in the UK and would love to try this out!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you joined the Public Beta?
Yup, joined the public beta a couple of days ago, but not seen anything about Echo (unless I missed it) - don't think the Echo test has gone live?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The thing is that the Private Beta is just that - it's private. So people aren't going to talk about it.

I believe the protocol is that when you joined the Public Beta you have given details of your system, where you re, how you control it, do have pets and so on. You may receive an invite if your profile fits what they need. I'd urge you to carefully check any beta e-mails you have or will receive.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi Jonathan, and welcome to the community!

Stuart_W is correct here, while details on a Private Beta aren't made available to everyone, so long as you're signed up to Public Beta we'll certainly get in touch if you're eligible for any upcoming Private Beta programs.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The first rule of private beta is there is no private beta...
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the answers all.
Well, here's hoping Sonos get in touch then...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I am curious, Is there already something about Spotify Connect?
I am curious, Is there already something about Spotify Connect?

Spotify and Sonos predicted a public beta by the end of October. That's the only public announcement about Spotify.
Dunno how to get on the private beta, but just want the Sonos team to know I have an Echo, and a Dot Gen2 on order, so...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Just adding myself to the potential beta test pool -- in the UK with an Echo (two, actually) and Dots Gen2 on order. Here's hoping....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This thread is NOT an application for Beta testing.

There are enough clues contained within to help you maximise your chances and posting in this thread is NOT one of them
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks for that Stuart, very helpful info. It wasn't clear to me how Sonos would know which of their users have an Echo and/or Dot in order to select people for inclusion in beta testing, so I was just passing that info along. I guess based on your reply that they just somehow will know....

I am in the beta program, by the way, and pretty familiar with how it works.
The emerging integration with Alexa was a significant element in my decision to purchase several SONOS products... I'd very much appreciate the opportunity to participate in the beta testing when it becomes available.

Regards,
Matt
First step is to go to Sonos Beta Login and join the public beta program. This will put you in the pool for private beta.
I am already enroled in Beta program. Any Idea how to control my Sonos with Alexa on Echo?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I am already enroled in Beta program. Any Idea how to control my Sonos with Alexa on Echo?
If you are on the private beta you should not be discussing such things here. If you are on the public Beta I suggest you read the release notices, and that applies to every release. They tell you what new functionality has been released and how to use it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Just to clarify a few things here guys, the public beta going on right now for version 7.2 does not contain anything specific for Amazon Echo control. It has several fixes and other things, but nothing for Echo. If you're in that beta that's great, we'd love to get your feedback, so please make sure to share.

From our lists of beta testers that give good feedback the team will sometimes reach out to offer participation in private betas. We're glad you're all interested and we'll be letting everyone know if there's any option for testing things out in a more public beta.
Looks like Plex just integrated Alexa. Hope it's better than their Sonos integration...

https://www.plex.tv/blog/alexa-ask-plex-get-party-started/
Looks like Plex just integrated Alexa. Hope it's better than their Sonos integration...

https://www.plex.tv/blog/alexa-ask-plex-get-party-started/

The Alexa integration is interesting by itself but combined with webhooks it suggests real potential for the platform. On the other hand as you point out, the Sonos integration didn't pan out so well so this announcement should be taken with a grain of salt until we see how well the actual execution works.
Hi everyone. Ive not filled anything in which highlights that i have an echo/ echo dot. Is there something else i should have filled in when signing up for beta programme? I realise that it's unlikely I'll get into any potential echo private testing but I just want to make sure I've completed everything I should have.

Thanks

Heather
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sounds like you're all set. The beta page doesn't have anything specific for one beta over another. The team reaches out to people who have offered to help there when they need to add more people to betas in the future, so you may get asked further details later, but that depends on a lot of factors. Thanks for your interest in helping out!
Ryan,

You're sure that they don't look at how many times I post in this thread requesting being added to the super secret double probation beta? I could post a ton, you know. 🙂
Thanks Ryan!
Against all advice, the beta of whatever type is of interest.

Current kit is two Sonos 1's and a Connect 5 Amp with Echo Dot 2 on line in.

About 11 devices control Sonos currently and more DOT's coming since my musician wife finds the Sonos interface daunting and she would make a great tester since she is a signed up Luddite. A TP-Link wall switch was too much for her especially as it's Alexa name is Switchy MacSwitchface.

I am a graduate electronics engineer but a Luddite with grand pianos.

Fingers crossed

Ian