Setup, Install, and Getting the most from Sonos Amp

• 18 March 2019
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Is there some magical way to change the amp from front speakers to surround speakers? The app won’t let me. It tells me the amp is set up for front speakers and so I need another amp. So I tried resetting everything but it won’t let me use it as surround - only front speakers. 

You would ‘bond’ the Sonos Amp to the front Sonos sound bar, or the front Sonos Amp. That process would tell the front device to send the surround information to the device acting as a driver for your rear speakers. 

I have an Arc and Amp with two in-ceiling speakers, which device is connected to the TV eARC outlet as there is only 1 eArc on my TV?

The Arc would get the eARC connections, as the Amp would be bonded  to the Arc wirelessly.

Thanks 

I have a playbar connected to my tv and two amps, the amps are not used with the tv but whenever I turn on the tv both amps connect to the tv on their own, they are not grouped, how do I stop this from happening?

Question. 

I have an older BenQ projector that doesn’t have hdmi or optical Out. The room has an ArC/ play 1/ and sub set up in surround. 

I tried the stereo out to a port but the volume was very low. If I buy an sonos amp would this fix my issue and give me better sound in the sonos. 

Question. 

I have an older BenQ projector that doesn’t have hdmi or optical Out. The room has an ArC/ play 1/ and sub set up in surround. 

I tried the stereo out to a port but the volume was very low. If I buy an sonos amp would this fix my issue and give me better sound in the sonos. 

If you have an Arc, then you have two options here.  One is to get an HDMI/optical extactor that will extract audio from your source and send it to the Arc viable optical, and send HDMI to your projector.  This is fairly easy, but the downside is that you are limited to dolby digital 5.1 audio.  

The second option is to get an HD Fury Arcana.  More expensive option, but it will extract HDMI-eARC from your source HDMI, passing HDMI to your projector.  That means full TrueHD atmos sound if your source produces that.

No, the Sonos Amp isn’t really going to help out in this situation.

Thank you for quick reply. 

I have the hdmi matrix which splits the hdmi

And opticaL sound. The arc is in the front of the room

and the projector in the back. My thought initially was rca to SONOS PORT and that would pump sound into Sonos system. But with the port being soft, I thought split the sound with the HDMI MATRIX to optical and feed that into the sonos AMP (using the optical to hdmi Sonos cable) . Would this work and make the sound louder since the amp is an amplifier I assume. 

would this work? The ARC being in the front of the room makes it difficult to connect the hdmi to the projector and the optical to the arc. 

Hello, 

I am using setting up my new Amp to power 2 pairs of speakers that are 100 watts and 8ohms.  They are in different rooms and I want the ability to play one pair at times.  I want to use a Niles SSVC-4 speaker selector for that but saw the manual for it states not to use with Amps that are rated at more than 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms.  Can I do this set up as mentioned or will there be issues? 

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Cooalztec.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Yes, it will surely damage your speakers if you go beyond the limit.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi @Cooalztec.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Yes, it will surely damage your speakers if you go beyond the limit.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thank Mark.  Can you provide more detail? Are you saying it would work if not turned up to high levels?