One SUB for Two Rooms

Userlevel 7
Badge
Customer suggested adding the ability to bond a SUB with 2 different Sonos devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

I would settle for and be very happy if i could create multiple profiles with the same (room) set up fi with my surround setup: soundbar, sub, 2 ones. I prefer much more kick (sub) when i watch movies than with music. Each time I switch between music from tv to music or vice versa I have to adjust the sub levels. I cant think of no reason why Sonos does not allow that. If I buy the cheapest wired media surround set, it would allow me to do that. Multiple room profiles  would be even  better, but I can understand why Sonos is hesitant to enable this.

I agree that it would be a good addition to allow different profiles for groupings and volume levels, including sub level and other equalization.  It would be a nice feature. 

Userlevel 7

@SNI

Since it was my comments that “triggered” your post then it’s only appropriate that I respond. Thanks @melvimbe for your comments.

IMO (no offense intended) you injected your concerns or frustrations in the wrong thread. The topic of this thread was “One Sub for Two Rooms” not about adjusting the sub sonics for movies versus music.

The original poster wanted to be able to (for example) setup a stereo pair in room “A” and a stereo pair in room “B”. Then subsequently without breaking the Sub’s Bond in room “A” pick it up and move it to room “B” and have it work by merely indicating in the Sonos app that the Sub is now in room “B” and work accordingly. The same would apply (according to the original poster) if the rooms were in close proximity not requiring a physical move of the sub. (i.e. no Bonding, un-Bonding, re-Bonding etcetera between the two rooms). Therefore my comment that Zone capable AVR systems costing much more did not allow a single Sub to operate in a Zoned area vs the Main area of the original setup. 

Regarding adding two more surrounds to a Sonos HT setup. Here you saying that Sonos should have designed the system to support DD7.1 vs DD5.1. Could Sonos have done that ...probably so...but (IMO) at a cost increase. That’s not to say that one would be forced to acquire 4 surround speakers upon initial purchase. To the contrary...the system could have been expandable. However, baking that expandability in to the system would still have come at a consumer cost. Why force an option that the consumer may not want? As I hear the demand in this forum DD7.1 is not it..more so it’s DTS and Dolby Atmos.

More direct to what I believe was the original intent of your post “Cinematic Profiles” would be a nice option. However, you’re adding yet another dimension to a “Wireless” system which requires more sophistication in design to employ than with a wired system. Here again cost has to be a consideration.

I think that we may see some of what you are asking if the demand dictates a design change. Sonos is a company for profit and now even more so as it is publicly traded. However, I don’t believe those features will become a reality in the current Sonos HT system.  More likely a Sonos II speaker system. :thinking:

Company’s don’t change design or introduce new products until the market research has been done to prove such a move as viable and sustainable for profitability.  Think Apple...they are typically late with a lot of DEMAND technology.  However, when they introduce it (or more aptly adopt it) profits are assured. Has Apple made mistakes...yes...anyone remember “Newton”.

@SNI

Since it was my comments that “triggered” your post then it’s only appropriate that I respond. Thanks @melvimbe for your comments.

IMO (no offense intended) you injected your concerns or frustrations in the wrong thread. The topic of this thread was “One Sub for Two Rooms” not about adjusting the sub sonics for movies versus music.

The original poster wanted to be able to (for example) setup a stereo pair in room “A” and a stereo pair in room “B”. Then subsequently without breaking the Sub’s Bond in room “A” pick it up and move it to room “B” and have it work by merely indicating in the Sonos app that the Sub is now in room “B” and work accordingly. The same would apply (according to the original poster) if the rooms were in close proximity not requiring a physical move of the sub. (i.e. no Bonding, un-Bonding, re-Bonding etcetera between the two rooms). Therefore my comment that Zone capable AVR systems costing much more did not allow a single Sub to operate in a Zoned area vs the Main area of the original setup. 

Regarding adding two more surrounds to a Sonos HT setup. Here you saying that Sonos should have designed the system to support DD7.1 vs DD5.1. Could Sonos have done that ...probably so...but (IMO) at a cost increase. That’s not to say that one would be forced to acquire 4 surround speakers upon initial purchase. To the contrary...the system could have been expandable. However, baking that expandability in to the system would still have come at a consumer cost. Why force an option that the consumer may not want? As I hear the demand in this forum DD7.1 is not it..more so it’s DTS and Dolby Atmos.

More direct to what I believe was the original intent of your post “Cinematic Profiles” would be a nice option. However, you’re adding yet another dimension to a “Wireless” system which requires more sophistication in design to employ than with a wired system. Here again cost has to be a consideration.

I think that we may see some of what you are asking if the demand dictates a design change. Sonos is a company for profit and now even more so as it is publicly traded. However, I don’t believe those features will become a reality in the current Sonos HT system.  More likely a Sonos II speaker system. :thinking:

Company’s don’t change design or introduce new products until the market research has been done to prove such a move as viable and sustainable for profitability.  Think Apple...they are typically late with a lot of DEMAND technology.  However, when they introduce it (or more aptly adopt it) profits are assured. Has Apple made mistakes...yes...anyone remember “Newton”.

apologies, you are absolutely right. Even if it would have been in the right thread, I think I went a bit over the top. Thanks anyway for letting me blow my steam off even it was in wrong place against the wrong person :)

Hi

I see some suggestions to make 3 "rooms"

1. Beam tv room

2. Play stereo room

3. Sub room

And then put them together (1+3 or 2+3) depending on what you are listening to. Anyone tried this? Does the Beam/Play recognize the sub and cut of the bas, leaving it to the sub as if you made a regular 2+1 system? 

Thanks

Kim 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sub can't have it's own room. It aways needs to be bonded to another speaker. You can't group it stand alone with another speaker (that also would have to adjust it's settings when the Sub-room would be grouped). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The Sub can't have it's own room. It aways needs to be bonded to another speaker. You can't group it stand alone with another speaker (that also would have to adjust it's settings when the Sub-room would be grouped). 

Yes, the Sub has to be bonded to either the sound bar or the stereo speakers. I go back and forth from time to time and it's a bit of a pain.

The other problem is that if you try to group the Sub separately from the sound bar it will suffer from a delay

Userlevel 1

+1 for the ability to move a Sub between two “rooms” in the same physical space. 

Understand all the possible reasons mentioned as to why Sonos hasn’t enabled this to date - just wanted to add my voice to the crowd of users who could make use of this feature :)

+1 for the ability to move a Sub between two “rooms” in the same physical space.

I own a Stereo pair of ones with a sub (Placement of ones left and right of the tv in order to get a stereo experience while sitting on the couch. The couch ist the main music listening area and the only area to watch tv).

Im thinking of purchasing a beam. As i can‘t pair the sub with the beam and the ones - what about bonding the sub with the beam (for tv only) and group the stereo pair of ones with the tv setup for music?

Or would the music experience of the grouping scenario be worse than my current setup?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I own a Stereo pair of ones with a sub (Placement of ones left and right of the tv in order to get a stereo experience while sitting on the couch. The couch ist the main music listening area and the only area to watch tv).

Im thinking of purchasing a beam. As i can‘t pair the sub with the beam and the ones - what about bonding the sub with the beam (for tv only) and group the stereo pair of ones with the tv setup for music?

Or would the music experience of the grouping scenario be worse than my current setup?

Thanks!

@Cronos147 

I have a very similar set up and I made the “compromise” of putting the Ones in the rear – even though it’s not ideal for music, it sounds pretty cool for surround.

Ones in stereo with Sub sounds amazing, but I don’t like the way music sounds quite as well when the Beam is included though... Not sure exactly what it is. Seems to me like it shifts the focus of certain frequencies, but it could also just be something to do with a third source of sound feeling out of place in “stereo” recordings.

Not to say that the combination sounds bad, but I have tried various configurations – as well as tweaking the settings to put the emphasis on the surrounds (to the point the Beam is hardly present), but I still prefer the Ones+Sub on their own (without the Beam) for music.

I sometimes switch them between home theater mode (with all 4 speakers) and stereo (without the Beam), but while 2 minutes to rerun Trueplay may not seem like much in theory, in practice it’s a real hassle to have un-bond, re-bond, and re-run it each time… to the point that I usually just live with it in one or the other for a while until I get irritated enough to take the steps to change it back. If there were a way to “save” the settings for different configurations it would make life a lot easier.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ugh - I was just researching how to do this exact thing (one sub tied to two “rooms”) and I discovered this very old thread with no solution. I assumed Sonos would support this given how portable the speakers are and the overwhelming cost of the sub. I just want the sub to kick in when I play music in the house, aside from the bar + 1:rear setup. 

tl;dr +1

I found this thread as i was searching for “ share sub between rooms” . And as i read it is not possible.

Why i want this!

I have 2 plays and a sub. Perfect for music. I bought a beam for better tv quality, but the beam has poor bass.

So i want to share the sub….

TV OFF = SUB WITH THE PLAY’S

MUSIC OFF = BEAM WITH SUB.

NO MORE NO LESS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not set up your room as a surround package?

Badge

I found this thread as i was searching for “ share sub between rooms” . And as i read it is not possible.

Why i want this!

I have 2 plays and a sub. Perfect for music. I bought a beam for better tv quality, but the beam has poor bass.

So i want to share the sub….

TV OFF = SUB WITH THE PLAY’S

MUSIC OFF = BEAM WITH SUB.

NO MORE NO LESS.

I would love this too … according to me it should be possible. Hopefully there will be a solution some day, but this thread is there for 7 years … so I have some doubts 😬

Surround setting is not ideal for me because of different positions for listening to music and watching TV