Latency on Sonos products with line-in (for live music)?

• 10 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi!

Would it be possible to play a musical instrument (for example guitar) through any of the Sonos products with line-in input, and not having latency issues? I’m looking at Five speaker, line-in sounds tempting, but how many ms latency does it have? I believe 12ms is a rule of thumb acceptable for live performance. It’s for practice purpose. Era 300 will probably have usb-c line in, so that would probably be even more latency, right?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Era is just a “leak” at this point and no product details are available.

If the latency characteristics are any different from current products, then Era would not be compatible with existing products.

The latency between a SONOS Line-In and output from a speaker is 75ms.

People need to accept the fact that Sonos is not fit for the purpose of live performance and move on.  Period. 

If, and I stress that, the Era had a USB C line In, it would be subject to the same 75ms buffering. This is a necessary artifact to get whatever signal is coming in to the Sonos system to play in sync across multiple rooms. It has nothing to do with the line in itself. 

I was hoping this trick would help, but you're suggesting it wouldn't work, right?

I was hoping this trick would help, but you're suggesting it wouldn't work, right?

I’m pretty sure that poster was either pulling our leg, or didn’t comprehend that the lag is still there.