Answered

Coaxial output on Port--Does it replicate stream's quality?

• 16 June 2021
  • 5 replies

If I’m streaming a service through the Port at a particular quality, say CD-quality 44.1 kHz 16 bit, is the Port’s coaxial digital out replicating that quality exactly?  In other words, if I’m using a stream at CD quality (and that Sonos supports) am I getting exactly the same output as I would from the digital output of a CD player/transport? 

I’m primarily a Spotify user, so if the answer is yes, once Spotify Lossless goes live, and Sonos supports, I think I can finally ditch the CD player, right?

(To answer the obvious question, yes, I use an external DAC which I really like.  The DAC in the Port is pretty good, but there are even better ones out there.) 

icon

Best answer by ratty 17 June 2021, 09:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I cannot think of a reason Sonos would tinker with a signal it is able to handle according to it's specs. So my guess would be the answer is yes. I do however only have my reasoning to support this. Does anyone else have a different explanation?

If the Port is set to Fixed Volume then the output from the decoder is sent directly to the digital out. 

Badge +20

There is a thread on here somewhere saying it’s not bit perfect in certain configurations no idea if it’s been addressed.

Edit… As Ratty says… fixed volume is what you need

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the difference between Fixed Volume and Pass-Through in the settings for the Port?  They would seem to do the same thing.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the difference between Fixed Volume and Pass-Through in the settings for the Port?  They would seem to do the same thing.

Fixed

Set Port’s line-out level to Fixed if you want to control the volume exclusively from your amplifier or receiver. You won’t be able to use the Sonos app to adjust the volume or equalization settings.

Variable

When Port’s line-out level is set to Variable, you can use the Sonos app to adjust the volume.

Pass-Through

When Port’s line-out level is set to Pass-Through, Port stays at a fixed volume and sends volume commands to amplifiers that support pass-through. You can control volume using the Sonos app, a universal remote, or your voice if you have a voice assistant enabled.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3652?language=en_US