Adding Bridge to system to help Play 5 (Gen 1) connectivity

• 3 September 2022
  • 33 replies

Badge

Hello all

Excuse me if I don’t have all the terms correct, but I’m not very techie! I’ve searched this forum, but can’t find an answer that helps me

I have a small system (2x Play 1 and a Play 5 (1st Gen)) and use S1 controller all connected to wifi. Recently the Play 5 has been dropping out so I just bought a second hand bridge for £2 to see if I could use this to boost the signal for the Play 5.

I’ve connected the bridge OK but I don’t know how/if I need to ‘move’ the Play 5 off wifi and onto the SonosNet to get the possible benefit. I presume that the 2 x Play 1’s will just stay on the wifi as they are not compatible with the bridge? I’m assuming its possible to have all these products within one controller even if they are not on the ‘same’ wifi?

I can’t even find any instructions for the bridge online - does it stay hardwired and sat near the router?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Brucie

33 replies

“Big one” is showing a mild noise level. 

Badge

thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I’ve switched off the bridge, although it’s still showing in the matrix (just undefined as per my first screen shot).

Anyway having cycled through ALL the options, what I’ve noted is that the Play 5 (Big One) is always on OFDM 3 and the Boost is variable from 0-5 and slightly better on some wifi/sonos channel combos than others. But cut outs occur on all combinations, so it’s not really a solution.

At the moment the Boost is sitting pretty close to the router (maybe 2 feet away) as this is the best that can be done without drilling though walls and running new cables. Could the problem be interference? I guess I could temporarily drape some cables and move the Boost closer to the Play 5 (Big One) to see if this helps?

If not, I guess I return the Boost and fork out for the latest Play 5…. but it seems such a waste.

Userlevel 7

Interference is a definite possibility. Ideally you want around 3ft minimum between the router and Boost. One test you could do is turn off the 2.4GHz band on your router to see if you are able to play without dropouts. I’d also check for anything that could be interfering with the Play:5 - see Reduce wireless interference

Badge

Thanks again. I’ve moved the router and its dropped out already :(

If I switch off the 2.4GHz and it’s better does that mean that I need to have it permanently switched off for improvements? And any devices connected won’t work? I see that Sonos is connected on this frequency - although I don’t think it can be as it should be using the Sonos network now via the boost….

Userlevel 7

Thanks again. I’ve moved the router and its dropped out already :(

If I switch off the 2.4GHz and it’s better does that mean that I need to have it permanently switched off for improvements? And any devices connected won’t work? I see that Sonos is connected on this frequency - although I don’t think it can be as it should be using the Sonos network now via the boost….

No, I wasn’t suggesting you permanently disable the router’s 2.4GHz band, just temporarily to see if having it off improved the Boost’s performance  and therefore “confirm” interference from the router being so close to the Boost was likely the cause of your troubles.

If you’re happy with the placement of your devices, I would perhaps contact Sonos Support as they have tools available to evaluate your specific system.

Badge

Ah I see thanks. I did move the boost to be mid way between the router and Play 5 - but it still cut out, so I don’t think the location of the boost near the router is the issue. I’ve now moved it back and have switched off 2.4GHz to see if that helps, although if it does, I’m not really sure what to do!!!

I’ll try Sonos support next...

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it’s much appreciated.

B

Badge

Just an update. I spend a long time in a couple of chats with Sonos - basically the only other options left were to compress the audio and reduce the audio streaming quality over the wifi.

Neither made any difference. SO the only options are to run a cable from router to Play 5 (which isn’t an option unless the kitchen is going to be remodelled - no time soon) or buy a new 5 - almost £400 even with the trade in discount…. :(

At lease I can return my boost and get a refund…..

Thanks to all who helped, I learnt ALOT and hopefully this will be useful for anyone who’s still got a Play 5 (1 Gen)

Userlevel 7

Just an update. I spend a long time in a couple of chats with Sonos - basically the only other options left were to compress the audio and reduce the audio streaming quality over the wifi.

Neither made any difference. SO the only options are to run a cable from router to Play 5 (which isn’t an option unless the kitchen is going to be remodelled - no time soon) or buy a new 5 - almost £400 even with the trade in discount…. :(

At lease I can return my boost and get a refund…..

Thanks to all who helped, I learnt ALOT and hopefully this will be useful for anyone who’s still got a Play 5 (1 Gen)

Sorry your issues weren’t resolved.

Just looking back over this thread. Where is your Play:5 placed? As @buzz said earlier, it is showing mild noise levels. Are you able to move the Play:5 to a different location (in the same room) to see if the noise levels improve.

• Noise floor is defined as the sum of all signals–other than the one being measured–including unwanted atmospheric and incidental (man-made) noise. Man-made noise includes your neighbor’s WiFi networks, Bluetooth devices, microwaves, cordless telephones, baby monitors, and security cameras. In the network matrix, you can view the noise floor for each Sonos speaker. The lower your noise floor (as measured in negative dB), the better. For example, a noise floor of -115 db is better than -85 db.