Vibrations from play 5?

• 18 April 2017
  • 5 replies

Noticed alot of people place their play5 next to their vinyl player on the same table. Does anyone have experience if this works at all? There is alot of bass punch and I'm worried there will be disturbance. Second question. Is there big difference between streaming and directly connected with rca to the play5?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi Nr Jingle

Welcome to the Community!

Most Vinyl players have suspension built into the body and the feet of the player, in order to not get a affected by vibrations.

As long what you are placing the speaker and turntable on is solid, you shouldn't have a problem.

By default the line in of the play:5 is uncompressed, whereas when you "stream" from a service such as spotify the audio is compressed.

Most people won't notice the difference in "sound quality" just depends on the room and the ears!

The technical difference would be that a streaming service will normally reach a maximum of 320 Kbps where as an uncompressed line in signal will be more around the 1400 Kbps mark.

So if you are grouping to other speakers wirelessly from the line input without compression the wireless connections will need to be good.

I hope this make sense

Many thanks
Thanks for the educated response. I'm no electronic wizard, but been playing good vinyl for years. I' ve got a rega rp3 with regular integrated amp and speakers.

So would it sound wrong to connect TT to Riaa to play5, and wirelessly to other sonos units? Going from 1400 kbps out of the initial play5 to much less kbps out of another play5/ play3. Or better to start with the TT/ riaa connected to sonos connect?

Choosing a preamp is another braintwister..

So would it sound wrong to connect TT to Riaa to play5, and wirelessly to other sonos units? Going from 1400 kbps out of the initial play5 to much less kbps out of another play5/ play3. Or better to start with the TT/ riaa connected to sonos connect?

Choosing a preamp is another braintwister..

There would be no audible difference so long as music is playing without stuttering or stopping. I don't see why another pre amp is needed, than the one between the Rega and the regular amp.
Thanks Kumar
I'm retiring the regular amp for a preamp/ riaa anyways.
Ahh...the regular amp must have the necessary phono socket in that case. There are plenty of pre amps that will do the job, available for modest amounts.