Answered

Sonos - Is a 5.1 or 7.1 system with ceiling speakers possible?

• 15 January 2019
  • 2 replies

I am wondering if it is possible to have 5.1 or 7.1 system with Sonos in my great room. This would be part of 14 zone system in a home that is currently being built.. Most of the other zones will have a pair of ceiling speakers running off a Sonos Connect:Amp. The 7.1 or 5.1 system would have either 4 or 6 Sonance ceiling speakers (140 watts max output) and front center channel speaker or the Sonos Playbar and a subwoofer. I would want to use the Sonos iPad App to control the system when playing music, but use a URC remote when operating the television. Do not want to have to use both. Want to avoid using a remote to choose music source before using the Sonos App. Wondering if there is a receiver that would allow this or a way to do this. Would the the Onkyo “Works with Sonos” receivers allow this?

Would another option would be to use four ceiling speakers with new Sonos:Amp with Sonos playbar and subwoofer. Would the Sonos:Amp be able to power the four Sonance ceiling speakers?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 15 January 2019, 21:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi...see my answers below your questions. Cheers!

Roy2019
I am wondering if it is possible to have 5.1 or 7.1 system with Sonos in my great room
Answer: Yes...Sonos is capable of producing DD5.1 with a Playbar. Playbase, Beam, Sonos Amp or Connect:Amp. No...7.1

Roy2019
I would want to use the Sonos iPad App to control the system when playing music, but use a URC remote when operating the television.
Answer:In a basic setup without Alexa voice assistant you would still use your iOS or Android device to select music playlists and/or streaming service. Forward/Back/Volume Up/Volume Down/Pause/Grouping can all be controlled from the Playbar and/or Connect:Amp. You could use your TV remote or URC remote to control volume (up/down and pause).

Roy2019
The 7.1 or 5.1 system would have either 4 or 6 Sonance ceiling speakers (140 watts max output) and front center channel speaker or the Sonos Playbar and a subwoofer
Answer:]Using Sonos Playbar as the anchor for a DD5.1 HT setup will only support 2 surround speakers. Sonos does not support a dedicated Center channel plus L/R speakers.

Roy2019
Want to avoid using a remote to choose music source before using the Sonos App. Wondering if there is a receiver that would allow this or a way to do this. Would the the Onkyo “Works with Sonos” receivers allow this?
Answer:Yes and No. Click the link on what Sonos features are available via the Onkyo and Sonos hardware required. https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos/

Roy2019
Would another option would be to use four ceiling speakers with new Sonos:Amp with Sonos playbar and subwoofer. Would the Sonos:Amp be able to power the four Sonance ceiling speakers?
Answer: This question was partially addressed in my 3rd response regarding HT setup. Yes, the Connect:Amp can power 4 Sonnace ceiling speakers however as I said they (4 speakers) cannot be part of a Sonos DD5.1 HT setup.