Answered

Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB distortion/feedback on Play5 at higher volume

• 19 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi

Just bought a Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB to go with my Sonos in the house.

I plugged it into my Play5 and it sounds pretty good but I get a low boom distortion at higher volume.

The volume on the line in is at max and I’ve checked the connections.

Is this showing the limits of the pre amp on the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB? If so can I improve the sound using another stand alone pre- amp?

Many thanks in advance

NNW64

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 January 2021, 17:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Do you have the output of the Pro-ject turntable set to “Line Out” or “Phono Out”?

If you have it set to the latter, you would need an additional phono stage in circuit (to provide the RIAA equalisation) to make it sound right, and to get the levels/impedances correct.

As far as I can see, for this type of installation you should be using the “Line Out” setting.

Badge

Hi

Yes I am using line out setting directly into the Play5 and I’ve checked the switch to make sure it’s on the correct setting.

Thanks for your reply. 

Hi

I plugged it into my Play5 and it sounds pretty good but I get a low boom distortion at higher volume.

Is this showing the limits of the pre amp on the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB? If so can I improve the sound using another stand alone pre- amp?

Many thanks in advance

NNW64

In the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/[Play:5 Room]’ try adjusting the Line-In source level to see if that makes a difference - I tend to use Level 8 to 10 for my various line input sources. 

Badge

Hi

Many thanks in advance

NNW64

In the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/[Play:5 Room]’ try adjusting the Line-In source level to see if that makes a difference - I tend to use Level 8 to 10 for my various line input sources. 

Hi Ken

Yes many thanks that’s sorted it perfectly. I had the setting on 2. All great now. 😉

Badge

Thanks to Ken, all sorted now I had set the Play5 inline volume setting incorrectly.

Many thanks everyone.

Nick 😉

Thanks to Ken, all sorted now I had set the Play5 inline volume setting incorrectly.

Many thanks everyone.

Nick 😉

Good to hear that sorted it Nick. All the best.👍