Connect Amp not working with wired Klipsch outdoor speakers

• 7 July 2018
  • 5 replies

I just bought a Connect Amp to use with Klipsch AW650 outdoor speakers. I setup the connect amp and it says that it is playing music but there is nothing coming out of he speakers that I wired to the amp. I’ve tried undoing the wires and replugging them in but still nothing. The speakers seem to make noise as I am plugging them in but no music will come out once I have them all set. The speakers are only about 30 ft from the amp and I am using 14 gauge wire. Not sure if I need to use 16 instead or if that might be the issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The wire will not cause the effect you are seeing. And 14, being thicker, will always serve better than 16. Check the wiring at both ends, the speaker ends as well. Is the Connect Amp volume slider set to mute by any chance? Finally, can you wire another speaker temporarily to even one terminal of the amp to better isolate the problem?

And it is good practice to always have the amp powered off when you are wiring its terminals.
I have checked and rechecked the wired end for both the amp and speaker sides and still nothing. Tried different gauge wires and that didn’t work. Tried them in different ports and that didn’t work. I rechecked the WiFi network for both the amp and controller and everything was good. The volume is not on mute, and it says that it is playing but no sound comes out. Unfortunately I don’t have another set of speakers to try which is why I spent all this money on this equipment. Figured I was buying the best brands for both amp and speakers but this is ridiculous. I’ve never had an issue wiring speakers to an amp before but I’m scratching my head at this point.
If you don't have a way to isolate the problem in the manner suggested, the only course I can think of is to submit a diagnostic to Sonos Support and email them quoting the diagnostic number.

Among other things they ought to be able to rule out the possibility of damage to the output stages of the amp caused by wiring it to speakers when turned on via inadvertent short circuits.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Look in your junk pile for something with a speaker in it and pull it out to test your Connect Amp. If you don't have one hit Goodwill or the like for a cheap one or even get one from Amazon for under $10.

https://smile.amazon.com/Diameter-Round-External-Magnet-Speaker/dp/B008999NJS/ref=sr_1_2
So I went out and got a new pair of speakers and still the same problem.. was on the phone with Sonos and did a diagnostic submit and they couldn’t figure it out either. Just told me that it should be playing and wasn’t sure what was wrong. Pretty crappy support of you ask me. Sending it all back