Adding a Vintage Turntable

• 2 February 2022
  • 4 replies

My husband has a Technics SL-1500 Direct Drive Player System in working condition that I would like to be able to add to our Sonos system.  I can’t comment on the sound, only that it powers on when I tried it.

We have Sonos Amps and I know that the turntable would also need a pre-amp.  My question is if this vintage turntable is worth putting much money (possibly) into, along with the required pre-amp? I would like to refurbish it for nostalgic sake (Valentine’s gift), as long as the end result is a good audio product. 

Otherwise would it be wiser to purchase a new turntable with a built in pre-amp.

Thanks for any help.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

The Technics SL-1500 is a great turntable. If it’s in good working condition, I would keep the turntable and add the pre-amp. I think your husband would really appreciate it.

Userlevel 7

As @GuitarSuperstar said keep the turntable IF it’s in good working condition. Direct Drive turntables if not in good working order can transmit unwanted background noise (rumble) through the platter to the stylus. Also the stylus needs to be in good condition as well. Of course all I’ve said may be for naught if you’ve been using the turntable connected to another AV receiver which means it’s already in good shape. If not you may want to have the TT inspected by a local audio professional. 

I suppose it depends on the availability of parts and skills to refurbish the Technic properly; these are getting rarer with the passage of time.

Thank you for the responses.  I have a vintage stereo repair/sale shop near me, with good reviews.  I feel good about the decision to take it in and see what they think.