Sonos Roam power button

• 6 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Ok, just got the Sonos Roam. Is the power button really this awful or do I have a bad unit? I’ve read some threads of same problems I am having. If this is normal, then it’s a fatal flaw. It’s just awful. Completely unresponsive and borderline useless. 

I am legacy S1. I cannot try my Roam until I remove all my S1 products and upgrade to S2. However, my replacement speakers are on “back order “. So, cannot cut the S1 ones off just yet. The Roam sits on a shelf, useless. 

my issue is, do I return it now so I don’t go beyond the return window while I wait my new speakers?  I am worried the Roam may not work at all. The power button has me really concerned. Spent the extra money to have a full Sonos system. But maybe I should just go JBL for the BT speaker. They are reliable . 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I’m confused as to how you can be complaining about the power button, when you state you’re unable to use the Roam because you’re S1 only.

You certainly don’t have to upgrade your speakers from S1 to run the Roam, unless you’re wanting to ‘group’ the Roam with the others. You can just set up a parallel S2 system for the Roam as many others have done. 

To my knowledge, JBL speakers are Bluetooth only, and do not include a WiFi antenna with the capability to work off your network, or as part of a system. 

Userlevel 7

Power button functions:

POWER ON

Press the button once to turn the Roam on, put the Roam to sleep, or to wake the Roam from sleep.

POWER OFF

Press and hold the button for 5 seconds to power down the Roam completely. You will hear a chime and the status LED on the front will turn off.

BLUETOOTH PAIRING

Press and hold the button until you hear the Bluetooth pairing tone and the status LED on the front is flashing blue.

The LED light will turn solid blue and you will hear a chime when the device is paired.

Userlevel 1

I have 5 old components that are not S2 compatible. So, as I understand it, I need to dis-connect all of them from S1, then set up S2 components and then set up a new S1 system with the old Products if I want to use them. Right now I only have the Roam that is S2 compatible. I don’t want to go thru the disconnect, reconnect etc until I have all the new S2 speakers I ordered. They are on back order. 

I cannot use the Roam until I disconnected all the S1 stuff. Before learning all the above I was trying to pair the Roam to BT only. That can’t be done until connected to S2 which cannot be done until I disconnect the S1. See the issue?  Bad timing. But while fumbling thru this I noticed the power button was barely responsive. I jumped on Community and it’s a very common problem. 

I am a big Sonos fan. Have been for a long time. Just need to upgrade. But that does not mean a good company cannot make a bad product occasionally. My question remains, is the Roam a fatally bad product because of a bad power button that needs frequent use. 

No, it is not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

My question remains, is the Roam a fatally bad product because of a bad power button that needs frequent use. 

It’s not a fatal flaw, but the power button does not give the best tactile feedback (and it is shallow and thin), so sometimes its difficult to tell when you’ve pressed it successfully (and you could be waiting for a chime or a light, when none will appear since you never really pressed it).  It is a bit annoying -- but certainly not fatal.   

Userlevel 1

Thank you