Answered

Works Great! Until it doesn't.

• 26 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Went out on the boat Thursday came back and sitting on the dock wanted to play music via my iPhone  and SONO to a Play 1 on the dock. I could not get Wifi, (usually I do) so just listened to Pandora at the dock on the iPhone. Came back in the house and started working the issue. Have had other issues with HomeKit and Meross switches. and I have moved routers around etc. This morning I noticed that 3 of my speakers were not found. Tried all the plug unplug etc. One complaint is that SONOs had to run Update required 3 times as I was getting everything reenabled, assume it was for each of the speakers, wish it could have been all at one time. I have a SONOS Net Mesh Network. I have a Boost that I have placed up flat against a window pointing at the dock to get better coverage. What I found today is that sitting at the dock, like Thursday, SONOS will work great but I need Wifi on my iphone to get it started. I am assuming that my SONOS Net Boost is getting the signal to the dock. Is there a SONOS way to get better Wifi to the dock like maybe with an old bridge? My phone has great 5G coverage, could that be a solution? . The Boost is plugged into my router. Would it be better to plug the Boost into another SONOS Speaker and plug another speaker into the router to create the SONOS Net to get better Wifi? Thanks for any input.

Dave

icon

Best answer by buzz 26 March 2023, 22:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

SonosNet ignores WiFi and WiFi ignores SonosNet. BOOST is designed for horizontal placement. SONOS will not interact with 5G. Your phone must be connected to the same network as any wired SONOS units. SonosNet will not provide wireless coverage for the phone. If you have a ROAM or MOVE, they will connect to WiFi, not SonosNet. Bottom line: SONOS wireless units must be able to wirelessly connect to SonosNet and the phone must have WiFi coverage. Yes, you can extend SonosNet with additional wired and wireless SonosNet units. 

The issue with SONOS updates is almost always a router issue. You can prevent this issue by “reserving” IP addresses with the router. If you are using the SONOS S2 system, BRIDGE will not work and should be powered down. In any case BRIDGE is approaching end of life and often has intermittent hardware issues. BOOST is simply a player with the audio section removed in order to lower its cost. As far as SonosNet communication is concerned, players and BOOST’s are interchangeable.