Answered

Sonos Beam and MacBook Pro 16 2020

• 15 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello,

is anyone using Sonos Beam with a 2020 MBP 16 without optical port ?

all I read is pointing to complicated solutions with a bunch of converters and cables.

I would like to go for the Beam since I already own other Sonia devices but with all this complexity I am feeling compelled to go for another solution to get a 2.1 audio solution for my MBP.

PS: Airplay does not feel like a good solution as it has lag

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 January 2021, 20:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @PedroRA 

What exactly are you trying to accomplish as the Beam has no line-in and the HDMI is intended for TV interface.

Just trying to use the beam as the sound bar for my MBP for music and gaming.

I can understand it’s not the intended purpose of the Beam but was still seeing if there was a simple way.

No simple way. The Beam is looking for an ARC signal, not standard HDMI, which your Mac doesn’t create. The Mac sends standard HDMI, the ARC signal is usually generated by a TV. 

I’m actually trying to do the same thing with my beam. I have a 16inch mac book pro and a sonos beam, and I bought a hyper drive 7 in 2 usb-c hub as well as a UHD HDR eARC Arcana adaptor from HD Fury. I’m still in the process of setting it up but according to HD Fury it should work.

Hello,

thanks for the reply. looks good but for the prices I saw looks like the adapters sum up to the price of a second Beam … in the end it looks like its an idea ill just drop and prob go for a regular sound bar or a pair of traditional good speakers

Hello,

thanks for the reply. looks good but for the prices I saw looks like the adapters sum up to the price of a second Beam … in the end it looks like its an idea ill just drop and prob go for a regular sound bar or a pair of traditional good speakers

I think that’s a good decision.  Sonos isn’t the right answer for every scenario.  I probably wouldn’t buy a Beam for my TV if it was going to be the only Sonos device in my home (even though it is an excellent device).