Sonos Amp Gen1 - capable of running 4 x Monitor Audio in ceiling speakers

• 28 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi Guys,

My traditional AV Receiver has kicked the bucket so I decided to dip my toe into the world of Sonos . all new to me so apologies in advance for any dumb questions!

I have purchased a second hand Amp ZP100 Gen 1 to replace the AV Receiver which currently runs 4 x Monitor audio CT180 in ceiling speakers. They are rated at 6 ohms. I wanted to connect simply connect 2 speakers to the left channel and 2 speakers to the right channel of the Sonos amp.

However on reading it looks like doing this means the rating lowers to 3 Ohms which will cause issues with the sonos Amp causing it to shut down for protection. 

Is my understanding correct and im better of just using 2 speakers not 4?

Thanks in advance

5 replies

You’d be better off using 2 speakers. Especially with an older ZP100 (CONNECT:AMP).  I’m not even sure that the current, more powerful Sonos Amp would be able to push 3 Ohms of speakers.  Those are some odd speakers you’ve got. Most t(average speakers) end to run at 8Ohm, not 6. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You might get all four working if you buy an impedance matching speaker selector.

Volume might be a bit low with the old amp so verify your speaker’s power needs before spending too much on this.

You’d be better off using 2 speakers. Especially with an older ZP100 (CONNECT:AMP).  I’m not even sure that the current, more powerful Sonos Amp would be able to push 3 Ohms of speakers.  Those are some odd speakers you’ve got. Most t(average speakers) end to run at 8Ohm, not 6. 

Thank you for this. Yes I was convinced they were 8ohms but thought id better check the specs - glad i did! 2 it is :(  I think ill use the 2 diagonal to each other to maintain a bit of wider room coverage.

You might get all four working if you buy an impedance matching speaker selector.

Volume might be a bit low with the old amp so verify your speaker’s power needs before spending too much on this.

Thanks Stanley. Appreciate your time. I did read about the matching selector you mention, think im going to have to make do with 2 as else the setup is getting a bit messy.

UPDATE : Decided to order a seconf ZP120 from ebay and group the 2 units together as one system :)