Question

NAS or library removed from the new app???

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

It seems that the ability to play from a local library or a NAS server has been removed in the new app.
This has major consequences for us who play music in an Odd Fellow lodge that we ourselves have recorded and own.
This means that sonos is now completely useless to us.

It is a significant deterioration and means that we can no longer can use sonos at all, and must find a new alternative.

68 replies

Userlevel 7

You can still play music from a NAS or local library on the new app. Sonos just isn’t supporting the outdated SMBv1 and HTTP protocols because of security reasons. My local music library still works on the new app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can still play music from a NAS or local library on the new app. Sonos just isn’t supporting the outdated SMBv1 and HTTP protocols because of security reasons. My local music library still works on the new app.

Have you tried searching for your local music on your NAS?
The search box only searches services not local library and the A-Z scrolling is notably worse. Making locating and listening to local music library almost unusable.

Userlevel 2

I no longer can update my Music Library (NAS) with the new app, nor manage indexing.

Userlevel 2

The way to search the local music in NAS is horrible, please give the option to have the previous app version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I no longer can update my Music Library (NAS) with the new app, nor manage indexing.

You should be able to do this with the old Windows/Mac desktop apps which IMO, while a little tired, are superior to the new web app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Sorry but I can’t find Music Library anywhere as a source or option in the new mobile iOS app. It’s there in the web app but having an old slow laptop I prefer using my phone as controller. When it’s quieter I suppose I’ll ring support yet again. Wish I had the funds to replace system with something else 😢

Userlevel 1

même problème c’est incompréhensible

vraiment un bide cette application !

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same problem here on Android. My phone updated overnight and now I cannot see the library at all. Some of my saved favorites that were from the library are still there but greyed out. I have one older device that I was able to set to “no auto update” in time that still has the S2 app installed and the library works there as well as from the web player app so it’s not a protocol issue.

The Sonos support rep I talked to said that Library functionality was gone in the Android app temporarily but obviously that’s not the case since some Android users still have access.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Can we downgrade back to the S1 app with the newer components?  I think that may be a viable option until they fix this disaster.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I have a NAS-based music library of 25,000 songs. The new app won’t search from the music library. This is totally worthless. I either want the old app back, or i want all 10 zones of SONOS equipment refunded.

Userlevel 4

I have a NAS-based music library of 25,000 songs. The new app won’t search from the music library. This is totally worthless. I either want the old app back, or i want all 10 zones of SONOS equipment refunded.

My Sonos system has always been about playing my own NAS-based library.  I’ve taken great pains over the years to manage its metadata in a way that makes it searchable and accessible exactly the way I want.

Can you definitely confirm that this new app doesn’t have the ability to search one’s local library?  

If so, that’s a non-starter.  Beyond that, what about the general ability to access and navigate your library?  In all the screenshots I see of the new interface, I don’t see a Library tab/button/link/option anywhere.  How do you pull up your library?  And once there, does it seem to function the same way? Use your metadata the same way?

Man, I’ve been a Sonos user from the beginning...precisely because it was the best way to access MY music.  I’m really bummed if I have to scrap it all and switch to a whole new platform.😔

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We have a large music collection on a Sinology NAS which no longer appears in the Android App.

Along with playing a couple of radio stations on our system the music library is our main source of musical entertainment and controlling it from the Android App is also our main way of using it.

I can still access the music library on a PC but on a daily basis that does not work for us.

On the announcement about the updated App it says the App is the main way of controlling a Sonos system. How can this be true if you cannot even access your NAS music library through the App. how can you use the App to set up your library, add or delete tracks or organise the sorting options?

Sonos what on earth were you thinking with this update, it is, as many others have said an unmitigated disaster.

If Sonos do not resolve this problem ASAP then we will have to look for an alternative system because the new App has made it totally unviable for us.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We have a large music collection on a Sinology NAS which no longer appears in the Android App.

Along with playing a couple of radio stations on our system the music library is our main source of musical entertainment and controlling it from the Android App is also our main way of using it.

I can still access the music library on a PC but on a daily basis that does not work for us.

On the announcement about the updated App it says the App is the main way of controlling a Sonos system. How can this be true if you cannot even access your NAS music library through the App. how can you use the App to set up your library, add or delete tracks or organise the sorting options?

Sonos what on earth were you thinking with this update, it is, as many others have said an unmitigated disaster.

If Sonos do not resolve this problem ASAP then we will have to look for an alternative system because the new App has made it totally unviable for us.

UPDATE

I discovered that our music library had appeared on my Wife's Pixel 6 phone so I reset my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and the music library now appears. So we can now access our music library on our Android phones.

However

All the thumbnails have been replaced with greyed out placeholders, how is this an improvement?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

It seems that the ability to play from a local library or a NAS server has been removed in the new app.
This has major consequences for us who play music in an Odd Fellow lodge that we ourselves have recorded and own.
This means that sonos is now completely useless to us.

It is a significant deterioration and means that we can no longer can use sonos at all, and must find a new alternative.

My attitude is SONOS clearly doesn’t care about their customers or shareholders because they don’t deserve either with this sort of behavior.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Sonos system has always been about playing my own NAS-based library.  I’ve taken great pains over the years to manage its metadata in a way that makes it searchable and accessible exactly the way I want.

Can you definitely confirm that this new app doesn’t have the ability to search one’s local library?  

If so, that’s a non-starter.  Beyond that, what about the general ability to access and navigate your library?  In all the screenshots I see of the new interface, I don’t see a Library tab/button/link/option anywhere.  How do you pull up your library?  And once there, does it seem to function the same way? Use your metadata the same way?

Man, I’ve been a Sonos user from the beginning...precisely because it was the best way to access MY music.  I’m really bummed if I have to scrap it all and switch to a whole new platform.😔

Confirmed, search doesn't include local/network files.

I've reverted back to the previous app. I'm a user who has a good size NAS library but also mixes it with streaming services. Including playlists that mix multiple services and my local library. These no longer functioned on the new app.

Having everything integrated was the reason I bought into the Sonos system to begin with. 

I just worry that Sonos will never bring back this functionality, newer Sonos devices will require the newer app and then it's game over.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This new app is not good. A lot of features are gone. I can no longer edit any of my play lists. Also the album art is not showing up any longer either. I want the old app back!!! 

There are a lot of settings missing for setting up my system also. Not happy at all with this new app. I wish I didn’t have auto update turned on so I could still use the old app. 

Userlevel 3

i read somehere here “the new app si not good”. What an understatement. It is a total disaster

Userlevel 4

Confirmed, search doesn't include local/network files.

I've reverted back to the previous app. I'm a user who has a good size NAS library but also mixes it with streaming services. Including playlists that mix multiple services and my local library. These no longer functioned on the new app.

Having everything integrated was the reason I bought into the Sonos system to begin with. 

I just worry that Sonos will never bring back this functionality, newer Sonos devices will require the newer app and then it's game over.

Damn, that’s a shame. Thank you for confirming. 

I just won’t update at all until the old version becomes nonfunctional, which I’m sure will eventually happen.

Like many other longtime Sonos users, I’ve always been a little frustrated with their somewhat deaf ear to user suggestions and requests.  But I stuck with it largely because it remained the best way to use the personal library that I’ve been ripping for over 20 years. (If you’re listening, Sonos, there ARE significant things that can be done with a local library that streaming can’t replicate.)

If Sonos mostly abandons that functionality, and all of its users with NAS-based libraries, to focus on the streaming-only crowd, there’s really not much reason for me to stay with it. There are plenty of other ways to stream music- I don’t need Sonos for that. Despite a few clunky quirks, even Apple Music lets me search my music library. 

Time to research the other whole home systems to see if there’s one that’s still supporting local libraries and users like us.  

Heb een Samsung met de Sonos app. Die was geüpdatet. Dus weg mogelijkheid om muziek van mijn Synology te streamen. Gelukkig stond de oude app nog op een Google Pixel. Die terug gezet en de suggestie om te updaten genegeerd. Nu kan ik muziek weer streamen, wel zijn alle pictogrammen nu grijs.
Sonos bedankt. Heel fijn om me een apparaat  aan te smeren en de support vervolgens te staken. 
Ook nog een klasse klantenservice: na 38 minuten in de wacht te hebben gestaan werd door Sonos de verbinding verbroken.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Have tried all the available third party apps for iOS and the clear winner is SonoPhone. It’s especially good for use with a local NAS library, in fact arguably better than the old Sonos app in that regard!

Will be using that until Sonos get their act together or I move on to a different system. This update has ruined my whole experience and I am so angry - leaving poor (accurate) reviews wherever I can...

When I found the forum, so I could learn why the Sonos app no longer acknowledged the existence of my music library, hence rendering me unable to listen to my music collection, I had to click to close a pop up the declared `` Unlock Free Shipping”. As if anyone would want the Sonos hardware that has been rendered useless by an incompetently written app.  

Get your act together!

I want the old app back. Sonos, please fix this. 😡😡

Userlevel 1

After updating iOS and Mac app, I can no longer search my personal music library on my iPhone, what gives??

Is this intentional, I do not use any streaming services and have 40 years worth of music in my own library.

Refund??

Userlevel 1

After dreading how awful this "update" would be based on past experiences, I can say this is the most incompetently designed product update I've ever seen. It was obviously written by children with no appreciation for the great products they were entrusted with "improving". 

Like others, my 40+ year collection on my Synology NAS is unavailable. That's why I got Sonos (seven zones).

No sleep timer - a feature we've used every day for at least ten years.

The new interface is a mess - perfect for streaming, I suppose, but I don't do that - their playlists are a mile wide and an inch deep. That's why I collect my own music.

It looks like the solution is to get an older version of the .APK and wait until the adults at Sonos find out what the kids have done and fix it. Or not.

The market can be very cruel about this kind of screw up. 

And as another comment noted, why the inconsistent branding with gold/black, circle/rounded square? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My nas library is visible in the new app. However cannot update it nor are tqqhe album covers visible. I can no longer add to playlists. Anyone help?