Answered

Wrong radio station played with Alexa

• 25 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, I have an echo dot linked to a Sonos speaker. Whenever I ask Alexa to play bbc radio 2 on the Sonos, it plays bbc radio 2 Wales. There is no problem when just asking Alexa to play radio 2 on itself, however.
I have recently upgraded from a 1st gen to a 3rd gen dot, but the issue remains the same.
Anybody else had this problem? If, so, what’s the fix?

I have also asked this question in an Alexa forum.

icon

Best answer by John B 25 January 2021, 12:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

This all stems from the BBC withdrawing its stations from TuneIn.  If you haven’t done so already, install the BBC Sounds skill for Alexa.  Then say ‘Alexa, play radio 2 from the BBC’, rather than ‘Alexa, Play BBC radio 2’.

Don’t ask.

Hi John, I’ll give it a go and report back. But as I say, it works fine when not asking to play on the sonos.

If you have the Echo Dot and Sonos set up properly in an Alexa group, with the Sonos speaker set as the Speaker to use, you don’t have to tell it to play on the Sonos, it will just default to that.

Ah, sounds like I don’t, you always have to ask it to play on the sonos.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3169?language=en_US

(It looks like the ‘preferred’ terminology has been dropped since that article was written, but the principle is the same.)

Let us know how it goes.