Answered

Wired or Wireless Connection Amazon Echo to Sonos Amp or Sonos 5?

• 21 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Looking to use Amazon Echo to control Sonos Amp (and/or Sonos 5) via Alexa. I believe the Echo can be connected to the Sonos equipment by wire or wirelessly.

1. Is there some advantages to using a 3.5mm to RCA (Amp) (or 3.5mm (Five)) cable to connect the output from the Echo to the input of the Sonos device (to have it play on the Sonos) vs setting up an Alexa Group to play the sound from the Echo to the Sonos?
  2. Would the sound when using a cable be better/worse quality compared to the wireless setup (for streaming music for example)?
  3. Overall, what would be the preferred way -- Wired or Wireless? (The devices will be close enough together that either way can be accomplished.)

Thanks for your support.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 21 March 2022, 15:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I am not sure how much sense this makes if your location has Alexa integration via Sonos and your Sonos units have mics. Assuming either of the two is missing:

Yes, you can wire Echo devices to the Sonos line in jacks via RCA cables with no audible effect on sound quality. Alexa groups will allow grouped play with all downstream wired to Echo Sonos units in sync. Played in that manner, Sonos units will not use their wired capability at all.

Userlevel 7

I am not sure how much sense this makes if your location has Alexa integration via Sonos and your Sonos units have mics. Assuming either of the two is missing:

Neither the Amp or Five have built in microphones. They are not voice enabled Sonos devices.

@Ontario1 - Have you added the Sonos skill in the Alexa app? I see no need to wire the echo to any Sonos device.

If you are using Amazon Music Unlimited, the highest music quality (ultra hd for your mentioned devices) is only obtained by initiating playback from within the Sonos app. Once music is in the queue, you can then control it by voice.

Ah yes, I don’t have Alexa integration, so I missed that bit.

One advantage of wiring still is if you can score/use the older Echo Show 5/8 devices that had audio out jacks. You can then get album art for all that is playing via the downstream Sonos kits, with the same quality as unwired using the Alexa skill.

Looking to use Amazon Echo to control Sonos Amp (and/or Sonos 5) via Alexa. I believe the Echo can be connected to the Sonos equipment by wire or wirelessly.

1. Is there some advantages to using a 3.5mm to RCA (Amp) (or 3.5mm (Five)) cable to connect the output from the Echo to the input of the Sonos device (to have it play on the Sonos) vs setting up an Alexa Group to play the sound from the Echo to the Sonos?

Alexa will speak through Sonos amp/5 this way.  It will not be just music, but every audio that normally would play on the echo will play on Sonos.  Essentially, you’re using Sonos like a dumb speaker for the most part, any speaker with an aux input would be fine (assuming same audio quality as Sonos)

1. Would the sound when using a cable be better/worse quality compared to the wireless setup (for streaming music for example)?

It depends on the streaming service used, but generally speaking you’re going to do better with Sonos receiving and processing the digital audio than your echo.

1. Overall, what would be the preferred way -- Wired or Wireless? (The devices will be close enough together that either way can be accomplished.)

Thanks for your support.

I think wireless. Again, you’re basically using Sonos as a dumb speaker with the wired setup your speaking of.  Sonos can access many other streaming services, local library, TV input, and other features which you won’t really get when you set it to the aux input.  You can always switch to the other input, but then you aren’t able to control via alexa voice at all .  That’s not even gettting in to the ability to group rooms, start/stop/pause, control volume, etc via the Sonos app. If you have zero interest in other non-Alexa related features, then not an issue.  And you can work around it if you have to, but why do that if you don’t need to?  

If you go the wired route, you’re probably going to end up switching to wireless at some point as you expand your Sonos system.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you all for your help on this. Very good insights!