Answered

When will Sonos Skill for Alexa be available in Canada?

• 11 January 2018
  • 11 replies

Badge
HI, when should we expect the Sonos Skill in Canada, can't wait to have voice control of my system.
icon

Best answer by TerryGroth 1 March 2018, 21:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I'm keen to know too. I bought the Sonos because it is advertised it's compatible with Alexa voice. Didn't realize It doesn't work in Canada? If it's not coming soon perhaps I should get an Echo and Play 1 combination instead.
Badge
I have multiple Sonos and I'm eagerly awaiting the Alexa skill as well. I've seen the UK skill for Sonos used and it was great. Not sure why it's taking so long to get it now in Canada.
Come on, Sonos/Amazon. You guys have the technology. Flick the damn switch!
Userlevel 1
As a workaround, you could set everything up under a Amazon.com US account. I had been using this for about a year, then when Alexa was officially released in Canada, I made the mistake of switching everything to my Canadian account. Lost pretty much all my skills and functionality. Went back to my US account and the only thing I don’t have is the ability to order from Amazon, but having skills, ability to use my Echo Show, Sonos One with Alexa, Fire TV commands, Plex, Lists, etc made it worth the switch. You can still use your Canadian address and search local weather and businesses etc. So unless you need Amazon ordering, you’re probably better off using the workaround.
I too use Alexa in Canada with Sonos and Spotify through a US gmail account. Just can't link Sirius XM account because its Cdn and Alexa thinks I'm US. I agree that it should be simple to switch on for Canada and Sonos needs to take control for its Cdn customers! Stop teasing us with compatibility statements... it either works or it doesn't and right now you DON'T!!!
Now that the Apple pod is coming out and it is getting great reviews on the sound quality..you better step it up Sonos. Canada may not wait any longer.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Now that the Apple pod is coming out and it is getting great reviews on the sound quality..you better step it up Sonos. Canada may not wait any longer.

Except that HomePod isn’t launching in Canada any time soon. Why is Canada always slow for new tech?
I had the beta US version for awhile but foolishly switched everything to the canadian version. It didn’t dawn on me that I would lose my Sonos skill. Duh. I am sure once it’s up and running it will be everything we dreamed of...just hurry up!!
I bought two Sonos One speakers in the US and had everything set up working in Canada. Then I had to change my wireless router setup at home and lost access to voice functionality on my devices. I gather this is because Alexa officially became supported in Canada. It's incredible that functions that were working perfectly are intentionally disabled as part of regional issues.
I just purchased a Sonos One, and all I did to get Alexa working is to change my country in Sonos to US. All the other accounts (Amazon,Spotify,etc) are still tied to Canada. No issues working a it should. Weather details and news are setup for local and Canadian content.

PS: Did not change my address in Sonos, just the Country.
Badge
I checked the Alexa skills yesterday and saw Sonos there. Enabled it and works great. So happy to have this available without having to change my set up on Alexa from my Canadian address. Stated it was Beta but works great.