What does the "Device Volume Level" mean

• 1 February 2024
  • 12 replies

I have the Alexa skill and Sonos Voice Control enabled on my Era 100. I can set the Alexa volume level from 1-10 and the Sonos from 1-100%; so maybe I am ahead of the game.

Whenever I ask Alexa what the volume level is, it is currently saying “Device Volume Level is 2”. It has said the level is at 5,1 and other numbers before. It has no affect on the audio levels from the Era, but it makes no sense and I cannot find any other people reporting the issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dtw4995 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sonos reports the volume as a percentage, whereas Alexa reports it as a level from 1-10. Therefore, when asking Alexa what the volume is, you should multiply the volume reported by Alexa by 10 to get the value that the Sonos app would report. She’s never going to report something like 2.3, however, so the volume reported by Alexa may be approximate in some cases.

I hope this helps, but I may have misunderstood your question - asking Alexa what the volume is is never going to affect anything, though asking her to set the volume should.

Userlevel 7

I remember setting up the first Amazon Echo and one of the first voice commands I tried was “Alexa, volume 10”, not realising 10 was the maximum volume!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I remember setting up the first Amazon Echo and one of the first voice commands I tried was “Alexa, volume 10”, not realising 10 was the maximum volume!

An easy mistake to make. I always seem to hesitate before asking for a volume level that way, rather than a more cautious “volume up”. 

It’s also a big step between, say, volume 4 and 5 when there's such a small range! 

Userlevel 7

An easy mistake to make. I always seem to hesitate before asking for a volume level that way, rather than a more cautious “volume up”. 

It’s also a big step between, say, volume 4 and 5 when there's such a small range! 

Yes, safe to say I never tried that again on an Echo device.

What made it worse was the fact is was around midnight. Ended up unplugging the echo to silence it 

Nope. The Sonos is playing the volume at what I want from 1 to 10. 

What I’m asking is why the Sonos is telling me an incorrect device volume. I could have it playing at 5 and when the say “Alexa, what is your volume?” It would say “device is at volume 2” when it’s not. 

I dunno.🤷‍♂️ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dtw4995 

You could try a reboot of the speaker - just unplug it from power for a moment.

You could also install Sonos Voice Control on the same speaker as Alexa, and use the command “Hey Sonos, what’s the volume?” - it will be more accurate (giving a percentage rather than a 1-10 scale), and probably more reliable too.

If you’ve set a volume limit on that speaker in the Sonos app, that may result in inaccurate volume reports from Alexa - I haven’t come across this before, so I am not sure, but it’s a thought. If you have a limit set, try removing it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks all. I’m going to try rebooting or even deleting the thing and reinstalling.

I appreciate all the input and let me mention that the volume control is working to increase/decrease the volume thru both Alexa and Sonos voice control. So that it’s working. 

What doesn’t work is the Alexa volume level. For example, I can say Alexa change your volume level to 3. The volume will go to 3 and when I ask Sonos, it reports it accurately as 30%. when I ask Alexa, it will say “Device is volume 3” or some other number occasionally which has NO effect on the actual volume. So what is driving me crazy is that Alexa on this Sonos at least, cannot accurately tell me what my volume level is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dtw4995 

I don’t recommend that you factory reset the speaker, but removing Alexa from it and adding once more may help.

Remove a voice service

Set up Amazon Alexa with a voice-enabled Sonos speaker

I use Alexa myself, but have never come across this issue in my own usage (or for customers, as far as I can remember), but that’s generally because I never ask what the volume is - it will be whatever I left it at, and the number doesn’t matter to me. For me, it’s more about how loud it sounds, I guess. If you were to switch from music that was released last week to something recorded a while ago - Queen, for example - the volume won’t be a indicator of how loud it will sound compared to the last track anyway - older recordings tend to sound lower.

So what is driving me crazy is that Alexa on this Sonos at least, cannot accurately tell me what my volume level is.

Don’t be driven crazy - just ask Sonos Voice Control instead. As mentioned above, Alexa only works in steps of 10, whereas Sonos works in steps of 1, so Alexa is only ever going to be accurate in reporting the volume if the volume is a multiple of 10. For what it’s worth, Alexa on my own speakers is reporting the volume correctly, but inaccurately, as expected.

I hope this helps.

Sounds like great advice for a normal person and not someone like me. Lol

I think asking Sonos is the better option

@Corry P is from Sonos. 

Userlevel 7

@Corry P is from Sonos. 

I thought they meant asking Sonos… Voice Control…

Ah. Missed that, thanks.