Answered

Volume problems with Alexa

• 26 February 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I want to talk to my Echo Dot and have Alexa respond to me through a Play:1. In order to make this happen, I had to hook up the Dot to a Connect:Amp, use the controller to have the Play:1 play from the Line In of the Connect:Amp, and the connection seems to work. However, if I ask Alexa a question, "Alexa, what time is it?" "Alexa, tell me a joke." her voice comes through the Play:1 at a very low volume, so low that I can barely hear it. Volume on Echo is at 10, and the Play:1 volume is on full. Music plays loud as expected, but Alexa's voice is way too quiet. Am I doing something wrong, or should I just give up on trying to make Alexa and Play:1 work in this way? Very disappointing if that's the case.
icon

Best answer by pwt 26 February 2018, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What is the Line-in Source Level set to for the Dot? I’d set it to at least 8.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, that actually helped me. I set the Line In for the Connect:AMP to 10 in the app. Alexa sounds better now, but still the volume is low compared to music and even Flash Briefing. When I launch Flash Briefing, Alexa says (in a lowered volume), "Here's your flash briefing" and then at full volume, the Flash Briefing plays. Weird.
Thanks, that actually helped me. I set the Line In for the Connect:AMP to 10 in the app. Alexa sounds better now, but still the volume is low compared to music and even Flash Briefing. When I launch Flash Briefing, Alexa says (in a lowered volume), "Here's your flash briefing" and then at full volume, the Flash Briefing plays. Weird.

Do you still have the Sonos skill enabled in the Alexa app? If so, it is causing the Sonos to duck when you speak to the Echo. Since you want the Echo to always play through the line-in, there is no need for the Sonos skill to be enabled.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have lots of Echos and Sonos throughout the house, and I do have the Alexa skill enabled. I might try to disable it and see if I actually miss it. Thanks for the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have lots of Echos and Sonos throughout the house, and I do have the Alexa skill enabled. I might try to disable it and see if I actually miss it. Thanks for the help.
That is probably it then ... the Sonos speaker is ducking. Excellent spot by @jgatie.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So I need the Skill for my Sonos One. I guess I will just have to deal with the quiet Alexa. It's not such a big deal but it is weird, and I really wish I could have everything I want, but sadly it's not to be. Lol.

Do you still have the Sonos skill enabled in the Alexa app? If so, it is causing the Sonos to duck when you speak to the Echo. Since you want the Echo to always play through the line-in, there is no need for the Sonos skill to be enabled.

This is spot on. Once I disabled the Sonos skill, volume for both Alexa and Sonos are on par with each other. Thanks for the tip!
Worked for me as well. Thanks! Bummer that you have to disable the sonos skill on Alexa for the volume to be acceptable.
If like me you have more than one Sonos in your house you don't actually have to remove Sonos skill. If you remove the Sonos device from Alexa app that has the aux in it'll keep your other Sonos speakers linked but play Alexa on the deleted device perfect. Plus if you set your room speaker to echo then when you ask Alexa to play music, she will play it on the echo via aux cable on to the Sonos speaker. Hope this helps anyone that is lost like I was.