Answered

Volume lowers

• 22 February 2018
  • 9 replies

Hi, why does my Sonos drop it’s volume in one room when somebody is using an echo dot in another room. The units are not even connected together as I run them separately.
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 22 February 2018, 10:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is called ducking! It is currently an issue with the sonos integration into alexa in that all sonos devices duck if any of your alexa devices are used. Ideally it should only duck those with the same room name but we are awaiting an update on a solution.
Thanks @bockersjv. I must admit the amount of bugs in Sonos is really high and it’s is starting to get frustrating using the system. This Alexa integration is another half baked idea...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks @bockersjv. I must admit the amount of bugs in Sonos is really high and it’s is starting to get frustrating using the system. This Alexa integration is another half baked idea...
The Alexa integration is still categorised as Beta quality so some frustrations are unfortunately inevitable. Progress on improving it has a dependency on Amazon.

Overall, I encounter very few issues with my Sonos setups. What are the other (non-Alexa) bugs you are experiencing?
The Alexa integration is extremely poor, and I wouldn’t mind but I didn’t even want it or even set it up to work between Sonos and Alexa it’s just seems to have happened after the last Sonos update. Other issues are moving between rooms where I have a Play:1 (bedroom) and a Play:3 (kitchen) - nine times out of ten the Sonos app will not connect to the 3 after using the 1, so I cannot transfer the music. I need to close the app and reopen it, stop it playing in the bedroom before I can use the kitchen. The app crashes a lot as well. The UI is substandard for a GUI.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Other issues are moving between rooms where I have a Play:1 (bedroom) and a Play:3 (kitchen) - nine times out of ten the Sonos app will not connect to the 3 after using the 1, so I cannot transfer the music. I need to close the app and reopen it, stop it playing in the bedroom before I can use the kitchen. The app crashes a lot as well. The UI is substandard for a GUI.
These problems are not typical: the app should work correctly and reliably, as it does for me on a variety of iOS, PC, Mac and Android devices. I'd give Sonos support a call to see if they can assist you.

I don't know what device you're running the app on, and opinions certainly differ, but I'd say it's at least as good a UI as (say) Spotify or Apple Music on iOS.
Thanks pwt - I've spoken to them before and end up factory resetting everything but it still happens. I'm on iOS and the last two updates from Sonos have created more issues for me. It's pretty frustrating as they are seen as the premium brand but for me the setup is going backwards with regards to connectivity and fluidity between speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your having issues with app crashing you have an internal network issue. The app is pretty rock solid. If your frustrated about I would call Sonos on their support phone. Or create a new topic here on the forum with what your experiencing and I'm sure someone here will troubleshoot for you.

I can assure you it is not an issue with Sonos or Sonos app.
Ducking isn't really a bug, more like an incomplete feature. The reason ducking doesn't occur in the proper zone only is because Amazon (nor Sonos) has provided a way for you to tell the system that zone A is in the same room as echo A. Honestly don't know if it's possible for Sonos to resolve as it may not be told which echo is sending the ducking command.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We haven’t had any recent updates on but Sonos said they were trying to work with amazon to create a link between Sonos room and Alexa device so it would only duck that room