Answered

Using an Echo Dot - Alexa Routines w/ Sonos One

• 12 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi all, I'm very new to Sonos (have owned a Sonos One for about 3-weeks and I love it!)

I have tried searching to no avail. Everything comes back saying that Alexa Routines are unavailable on the Sonos One, which I understand, but, with Prime Day coming soon, I was looking into an Echo Dot and didn't know if you can use the Sonos One as a speaker for the Echo Dot routine?

Can I do the following:

1. On the Echo Dot, say "good morning". The Echo Dot will respond with some pre-determined phrase like "good morning".

2. The Echo Dot will then give me a weather update.

3. Then the Alexa Routine will play TuneIn Radio on the Sonos One.

Many thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Smilja 12 July 2018, 17:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Routines are currently reserved for compatible Echo devices only.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G202200080
I have not tried it (as I have faced a similar problem but didn't have a dot so was totally stuck - just ordered one), but I saw on some forums that you can specify as part of the play music bit of a routine "Play XX playlist" and add to that same command line "on Lounge [or whatever the name/ location of your sonos speaker]", then you fill in the rest as usual.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have not tried it (as I have faced a similar problem but didn't have a dot so was totally stuck - just ordered one), but I saw on some forums that you can specify as part of the play music bit of a routine "Play XX playlist" and add to that same command line "on Lounge [or whatever the name/ location of your sonos speaker]", then you fill in the rest as usual.

Currently, you can initiate Routines from a Sonos Alexa device but not include the Sonos device within any actions.
Yeah, it's really annoying. I have the Echo dot now. I am able to incorporate playing from the Sonos system using the technique above. However, depending which device hears me say Alexa, I either get it working, or the annoying message that it's not supported.