Unable to set Sonos Era 100 as Alexa-enabled device in room/group using Alexa app

Show first post

88 replies

31112711 - Speaker “Bedroom” doesn’t show under Alexa enabled

I think this may be sorted now in the UK

I think this may be sorted now in the UK

It looks like it is fixed, yes!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just set it myself, all sorted!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

No luck for me yet in the US

Deleted, I was responding to spam, which has been reported. 

It’s fixed!!!

Went to my Alexa app this morning and found my Eras available as Alexas.

In New Zealand.

Seeing the same issue in the US with my new Era 300. Diagnostic 2098672184

@Lmarshall,
The Era 300 is working here for me and can be used to enable/control an Alexa Group, that said, I’m based over in the UK.

As a thought, could it be that the Era 300 in your case is already enabling/controlling a different group, as these enabling/controlling devices can just be used for one Alexa group only. Or that the speaker is set as a Home Theatre surround and embedded in the HT device (Living Room) in your Alexa App?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Good to hear our European (and UK) friends are getting fixes! Still doesn’t work for me in the US either. Over here, Era speakers are called “Devices” not “Alexa-enabled Devices”. They cannot control any groups. 

@Ken_Griffiths no, that’s not it. It’s not set up as a surround or in another group. I just got it yesterday and am setting it up now in my office.

Good to hear our European (and UK) friends are getting fixes! Still doesn’t work for me in the US either. Over here, Era speakers are called “Devices” not “Alexa-enabled Devices”. They cannot control any groups. 

Yep, we’re perhaps the Amazon test-bed for you guys… I honestly thought this was fixed for everyone, but maybe Amazon is still to certify the ‘devices’ and roll this out to some locations.🤷‍♂️

Now working for me (Era 300/Germany).

Userlevel 2
Badge

Diagnostic is 365694344

In the screenshots:

Recognized as “Alexa capable” and part of an Alexa defined Group is “Nightstand” which is a Sonos ONE.

Also, “Beam” and “”Roam” are listed in the Alexa-enabled section, but not currently being used in any Alexa groups.

NOT recognized as “Alexa capable” are my devices “ARC” (Sonos ARC), “Kitchen Sonos” (Sonos ERA 100), “Lab Era 100” (Era 100).

Also NOT recognized my brand new Move 2 which I just received and installed today.

Note to Sonos support: I had to remove Alexa voice service from the “Kitchen Sonos” because it is in the same open area as an existing Amazon Alexa and conflicting.

Not specifically this bug, but will we EVER get the ability to use any of the existing Amazon alternative wake words (Computer, Amazon, Ziggy, Echo) with Sonos devices for Alexa?

Having the same issue here (in the USA). 

Diagnostic 2132391858

As for the ‘alternate’ wake words, I think it unlikely that they’ll ever allow them on an ‘Alexa enabled device’, rather than an actual Alexa device. Just so there is a reason for you to buy their hardware, rather than giving all your money to someone else for the hardware, but using their software.

I got an update today and the problem is now fixed in my system (Era 100 in Germany)! :)

Badge

I’m in the US and I’m still having this problem with my Era 100. Diagnostic number 215206880.

I personally would have thought those with Era / Move 2 issues not showing as Alexa group ‘enabling/controlling’ devices in their Alexa App, should perhaps also contact Amazon support and see if it is an issue at their end. It seems rather odd it’s working in the U.K. Germany and areas of the EU, but not yet working in some areas of the US/Canada etc. maybe Amazon can provide the answers.

Attached is my Amazon Alexa ‘Kitchen’ Group (see screenshot) and that has an Era 300 called ‘Polo’ showing as ‘enabling’ the group and the devices above it are also ‘enabling’ the same group, these are 2 x Era 100s that are attached as surrounds to a Sonos Ray with Alexa installed on both those speakers and the top device is an Echo Dot. So it’s working fine here in the UK. I would hazard a guess this is more to do with Amazon rather than Sonos, er… perhaps🤔? I would see what Amazon have to say about the issue, although it’s probably best to do this after the holiday/weekend.

Same issue with new Era 100s. good to hear the fixes are rolling out. Frustrating as a new Sonos user as I use the Alexa voice for lights around the house. This is definitely inconvenient especially for my partner and house guests  

Having the same issue with my Era 100 in the US 

Having the exact same issue. Era 100. Works with voice commands, but no ability to control the room/group.

Sonos, are you working on this?

Today I’ve upgraded my two Sonos Ones with Sonos Era 100s. After adding Alexa to the speakers, I tried to go into the Alexa app to associate them with their respective rooms. I’m able to add them as the room speaker, but I am unable to set them as the Alexa device for that room (allowing for room-specific commands like “Alexa, turn off the lights”, etc).

What’s weird is my Era 100s will show up under the Echo & Alexa devices section in the Alexa app, but they do not show up under Alexa-enabled devices when editing a room/group (see attached screenshots).

I’ve reached out to Alexa support and they were largely unhelpful, they claimed that from their resources Alexa isn’t supported on the Sonos Era 100 (maybe their documentation hasn’t been updated since this is a brand new product?). So they left the conversation there even after showing them that Sonos clearly states Alexa built-in support for the Era 100.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Seems like a bug in the Alexa app, and their support team is unwilling to report the issue up their chain.

I have the same issue. As new user of sonos, I’m very disappointed, I had high expectations.

I find it amazing that I researched buying an ERA 100 to replace an Echo device in my dining room to circumvent an Apple iMusic issue I have with Alexa. The ERA 100 is advertised as being able to function as an Alexa Echo device.  Absolutely zero caveats about that capability. So, I buy the ERA 100. Tout sweet, I run into this problem. I cannot add the ERA 100 to the everywhere Alexa group, or any group of speakers I try to set up, because while it responds to Alexa commands, it is not classified as an Alexa speaker after enabling the Alexa App skill. I then spend 2 days on the phone with both Sonos and Amazon, with nothing being resolved. I talked to at least 3 different Sonos support people. Not one word about this being an outstanding problem.  Instead my time was wasted by resetting and re-installing those 2 days, with a lot of finger pointing between the 2 companies. I give up, and google the issue and find this thread right on the Sonos site! INCOMPREHENSIBLE!  No one told me that this was an outstanding issue with an open ended ETA on a fix, and with more non-productive finger pointing! In 25 years of  working on getting music technology incorporated into my home you people still can’t get it right, especially across companies, and shame on Sonos support for pretending to scratch their heads over this with me like it was something they never heard of.

I find it amazing that I researched buying an ERA 100 to replace an Echo device in my dining room to circumvent an Apple iMusic issue I have with Alexa. The ERA 100 is advertised as being able to function as an Alexa Echo device.  

I believe it’s not advertised as a full blown Alexa echo device, because that would surely harm Amazons own hardware sales - I think it’s talked about here in the community as being an Alexa ‘enabled’ device where the assistant is primarily used for music playback and control, but overtime some additional functionality (not all) has been included, but some things clearly are still exclusive to Amazon in much the same way that the Sonos grouping, pairing, bonding features are exclusive to Sonos products.

Absolutely zero caveats about that capability. So, I buy the ERA 100. Tout sweet, I run into this problem. I cannot add the ERA 100 to the everywhere Alexa group, or any group of speakers I try to set up, because while it responds to Alexa commands, it is not classified as an Alexa speaker after enabling the Alexa App skill. I then spend 2 days on the phone with both Sonos and Amazon, with nothing being resolved. I talked to at least 3 different Sonos support people. Not one word about this being an outstanding problem.  Instead my time was wasted by resetting and re-installing those 2 days, with a lot of finger pointing between the 2 companies. I give up, and google the issue and find this thread right on the Sonos site! INCOMPREHENSIBLE!  No one told me that this was an outstanding issue with an open ended ETA on a fix, and with more non-productive finger pointing! In 25 years of  working on getting music technology incorporated into my home you people still can’t get it right, especially across companies, and shame on Sonos support for pretending to scratch their heads over this with me like it was something they never heard of.

Some Alexa ‘Routines’ functionality is available to the US. which apparently is not available to the UK and EU countries. The one odd thing here is Sonos is enabled here in the EU and UK to control Amazon Alexa ‘enabled’ groups and that includes Era 100s, Move 2 and Era 300s but some in the US/Canada say they do not have that functionality. I’m not sure why that is🤔?

Just to also add this is a different grouping method to Amazon Echo Groups - I’m referring to their smart-home control of lights, plugs and playback on speakers etc. Sonos has never grouped with Amazon devices to playback on both manufacturers speakers.. this thread is about enabling the smart-home groups to play audio just on Sonos devices only. 

I hope that helps clear any confusion.. clearly though some users in the US have the issue that their Era 100s are not enabling/controlling the (smart) groups and in my humble opinion that’s something that Amazon needs to resolve with their Alexa accounts. I only say that though, because it appears that not all Sonos users have this reported issue.