Answered

Two Sonos systems and Alexa

• 29 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge
I have two Sonos systems, in different locations, each with an Echo Dot on the same WIFI. I have one Amazon account to access Alexa. How can I setup Alexa to work with both systems? Setting up one system goes as expected, and I choose which of the two systems I want to connect. The choice of system is a radio button, and I cannot choose both systems. When I try to setup the second system, Alexa cannot find any Sonos speakers, using the add devices feature of the Alexa app.

If I disable the Sonos Alexa skill and reenable it, I am able to connect to the second Sonos system (again, by choosing it), but now cannot connect to the first.

Is it possible to use Alexa with two different Sonos system?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 30 April 2019, 08:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Help and tips for Amazon Alexa on Sonos

Sonos and Alexa work together using a single Amazon account. If you have a second Sonos system in another location, you’ll need to use a second Amazon account if you’d like to use Alexa. An Amazon account can only be used on one Sonos system at a time.

You need two separate Amazon/Alexa accounts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As @Misfit says, the link between a Sonos and Alexa account should be a 1:1 relationship. So for your set-up, I would recommend two Sonos accounts and two Alexa accounts - one pair for each location.
when you say “two Amazon accounts” - can that be two Amazon profiles within the same Amazon household? I tried that - but without success.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
when you say “two Amazon accounts” - can that be two Amazon profiles within the same Amazon household? I tried that - but without success.
I've not tested specifically that but my understanding is that it has to be two completely separate Amazon Accounts. The reason being that as the processing of commands is carried out in the cloud, Amazon have no concept of a Sonos system location, hence to ensure the correct device is controlled by the received voice command a separate Amazon Account is required per location.