Question

There was a problem adding Alexa

• 30 December 2017
  • 10 replies

I've just installed my new Sonos One and everything works great... except I cannot connect my Amazon account to my Sonos One when activating Voice Services. It will tell me "There was a problem adding Alexa". I have uninstalled and re installed my Sonos and Alexa apps. I have factory reset my Sonos One and added it back. It does not have the same name as any other device. I've reset my router. I have disabled and re enabled the Sonos skill in the Alexa app. The microphone button is not active and cannot be turned on I assume because the voice services haven't been activated? I sent a diagnostic to Sonos and worked with them via Twitter last night, but no success. They said to call and gave me a case number, but Sonos tech is closed today. HELP!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, KnightRider. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Our US support phone lines are open as I type this right now and will be open until 4pm EST. I would suggest to give us a call and we will be happy to pick up from where you left off from Twitter. Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Same problem here, worked for the first Sonos One I added, but is failing on the second. Please post a solution if you get one!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please try the steps I've listed within the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
UKMedia... I saw and tried your suggested solution the other day when I found it and it did not work for me. I tried several different times and no joy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, can you ensure that you aren't logged onto any other Amazon account on your device in any other app? Then follow the steps I've listed in this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-alexa-issues-6796539/index1.html#post16180399
UKMedia... tried that too. No luck.

I was able to speak with a Sonos rep today and he and I were unable to get it to work. An interesting comment tech support made is some times there's a glitch when your Sonos email address and your Amazon email address is NOT the same. We made the change so they are the same now... Sonos is escalating to level 2 tech support... I'll post more when I have more.
Problem solved!
My problem was linked directly to my firewall. I have a professional grade Fortiwifi FW80CM firewall as I often have to connect back to work from home. Sonos requires certain ports to be open, get the list here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/692?_ga=2.89541469.730666965.1514648422-752198424.1514385772.
However, my problem was my URL Web filtering function was blocking a specific URL during Alexa setup: api.eu.amazonalexa.com. I turned that feature off for the setup process and everything worked perfectly. I then added that url to my "allowed" list of url's for the future.
Simply put, turn off your firewall during the voice services setup phase and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps someone out there!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Good info thanks.
The sonos app (Android) opens a browser when you click to add voice services, and my phone was not letting the app open the browser. It sounds similar to your firewall issue. I figured this out by downloading both the alexa and sonos apps on my wife's tablet, and everything just worked. If anyone else runs into this problem and has another device laying around... you may want to try installing the sonos/alexa apps on it, you may get lucky.
Badge
I just got my sons one yesterday and had that same problem..finallay after 3 hours I was able to connect