"Spotify music is not supported on this device"

I've connected the same Spotify account in both the Alexa app, where I've used it for months and now the Sonos app, where playing music "manually" through the app (you know - like a labourer!) and from the Spotify app itself (through Airplay I suppose) work just fine, but if I say something like "Alexa, play The Beatles" it starts trying to sell me Amazon Unlimited, which I am not interested in. So I try again, with "Alexa, play The Beatles from Spotify", and it says "Spotify music is not supported on this device" - which I am currently disproving by listening to Spotify while writing this.

I'm aware linking all these accounts and services together must be a hard job - in fact, I spend 8 hours a day writing integration services for the educational sector - but when something I write breaks down I have a stack trace to help me debug the issue. All you've given me is a lie! :?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I experience the same thing! Really annoying, it works great on Alexa on my Sonos One. Does it matter what country settings I have?

Please fix ASAP
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've connected the same Spotify account in both the Alexa app, where I've used it for months and now the Sonos app, where playing music "manually" through the app (you know - like a labourer!) and from the Spotify app itself (through Airplay I suppose) work just fine, but if I say something like "Alexa, play The Beatles" it starts trying to sell me Amazon Unlimited, which I am not interested in. So I try again, with "Alexa, play The Beatles from Spotify", and it says "Spotify music is not supported on this device" - which I am currently disproving by listening to Spotify while writing this.

I'm aware linking all these accounts and services together must be a hard job - in fact, I spend 8 hours a day writing integration services for the educational sector - but when something I write breaks down I have a stack trace to help me debug the issue. All you've given me is a lie! :?

Hi

I notice that you are from Norway, is this where you are trying to use the device? If it is then Sonos don't yet support Alexa in Norway, please see this article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I experience the same thing! Really annoying, it works great on Alexa on my Sonos One. Does it matter what country settings I have?

Please fix ASAP

Can you please check the address is correct on the device location in the Alexa App.

Hi

I notice that you are from Norway, is this where you are trying to use the device? If it is then Sonos don't yet support Alexa in Norway, please see this article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US

Funny how Alexa actually works fantastically, except for the Spotify thing then.

Please fix ASAP

Can you please check the address is correct on the device location in the Alexa App.

I checked it and filled in my Swedish address. Still not working. Any ideas? For my Sonos One I hade to enter an American address in order to enable Alexa, but now as Alexa was available from the start even in Sweden I just used my normal address.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please fix ASAP

I checked it and filled in my Swedish address. Still not working. Any ideas? For my Sonos One I hade to enter an American address in order to enable Alexa, but now as Alexa was available from the start even in Sweden I just used my normal address.

Hi

Officially Sonos control via Alexa is not yet supported in Sweden:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/resolving-the-majority-of-issues-with-alexa-on-sonos-6798039/index1.html

Please fix ASAP

Hi

Officially Sonos control via Alexa is not yet supported in Sweden:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/resolving-the-majority-of-issues-with-alexa-on-sonos-6798039/index1.html

Okay. Can you help me with a workaround (inofficial)?

I must say I'm very disappointed so far. The whole reason for me to buy the Beam was to control spotify through Alexa. If this is not solvable I might return it.

Thank you for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You would need to change your address in your Sonos profile on www.sonos.com, create a UK amazon account , change your Spotify address to the UK and then the device location within the Alexa App. That should work...
You would need to change your address in your Sonos profile on www.sonos.com, create a UK amazon account , change your Spotify address to the UK and then the device location within the Alexa App. That should work...

Thank for the reply. However, now when reconnecting Sonos to Alexa I just hear a British Alexa instead, saying "Sorry, Spotify music is not supported on this device."

I can play spotify on my phone and use Spotify Connect. I can tell Alexa to set a timer. Why is this a problem for me? Can anyone control Spotify through Alexa on Beam?
Another issue I have is that even though I have a samsung TV with ARC HDMI I cant control the TV with Alexa. She says "Sorry, I didnt find a device named TV" when I say "turn on the TV".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank for the reply. However, now when reconnecting Sonos to Alexa I just hear a British Alexa instead, saying "Sorry, Spotify music is not supported on this device."

I can play spotify on my phone and use Spotify Connect. I can tell Alexa to set a timer. Why is this a problem for me? Can anyone control Spotify through Alexa on Beam?

Please disable then enable the Sonos skill

Another issue I have is that even though I have a samsung TV with ARC HDMI I cant control the TV with Alexa. She says "Sorry, I didnt find a device named TV" when I say "turn on the TV".

Until the Alexa Sonos linking is corrected this won't work.
Re-adding worked for me to. Setting the "correct address" wasn't enough, I had to readd alexa.

Please disable then enable the Sonos skill

Until the Alexa Sonos linking is corrected this won't work.

Disable and enable Sonos skill was probably the one thing I hadn't tried. Thank you, now it works great!