Answered

Sonos won't play when i ask alexa to play?

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have music playing on my sonos via the sonos app. But sometimes when i ask alexa to play it will say hmm. you''ll have to enable the skill, but yet if i then go into the actual sonos app and press play it works.

why does alexa not always play and pause when i ask it, even if music is showing as paused on the app?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 12 April 2018, 20:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are any of your devices showing as 'offline' in Alexa App>Settings?

Please look at the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126
Userlevel 1
Badge
Are any of your devices showing as 'offline' in Alexa App>Settings?

Please look at the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126
Hi yes one of the sonos players is offline, but i thought that was because i don't have alexa turned on for it. is that why?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yepokay now all are online with Alexa and I just turned off the mic on the one speaker, so it won't hear me ask for alexa. I don't need all the speakers to hear me. Is that what you were referring to.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Still not working. It says "hmm to do that. Enable your Sonos skill in the Alexa app after doing that say Alexa discover devices.

I already did that.

Weird thing is once I go into Sonos app on my iPhone and click play button then I can ask Alexa to pause and skip. But once I play a video on Hulu on my phone it's as if Alexa doesn't have music to play from Sonos. Even though it's in the player but paused.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Could it be cause I am playing from Sonos app on phone as opposed to my computer?
Userlevel 1
Badge
hmm it actually seems to be when it is inactive for a while that it stops working... sorry for the contant replies
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

A couple of questions:

- Did you follow the steps in the link I replied to you?
- When it stops working can you check that the device is still online?
- Have you set-up the same music services/accounts within the Alexa and Sonos apps?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi

A couple of questions:

- Did you follow the steps in the link I replied to you?
- When it stops working can you check that the device is still online?
- Have you set-up the same music services/accounts within the Alexa and Sonos apps?
yes I did do the steps. I did a complete reset now. It isn't music from Amazon it's music from my Mac music library. It only happens when the music is paused for a few minutes. Seems to be something to do with it being inactive for a bit. But doesn't make sense cause its still in the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for this and I should have asked long ago - sorry. Voice control of local music libraries is not currently supported by Alexa but you should be able to pause and resume after starting in the App. However I do find that sometimes I need to include the room name in the command. Have you tried this? Please see this help article for supported music sources/services via voice control:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.57175786.1121285110.1523427758-1479154436.1521274384&_gac=1.123080825.1523444829.Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOcQEBh0zI9fApEJB5KbLRWkuTpyREwEvYUB6pbj5ti2rqQMivEk6e8aAlPfEALw_wcB
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for this and I should have asked long ago - sorry. Voice control of local music libraries is not currently supported by Alexa but you should be able to pause and resume after starting in the App. However I do find that sometimes I need to include the room name in the command. Have you tried this? Please see this help article for supported music sources/services via voice control:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.57175786.1121285110.1523427758-1479154436.1521274384&_gac=1.123080825.1523444829.Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOcQEBh0zI9fApEJB5KbLRWkuTpyREwEvYUB6pbj5ti2rqQMivEk6e8aAlPfEALw_wcB

I don't ask Alexa to play specific songs from local librsrg. Just to continue playing what is on the app. IDK why it says enable Sonos skill it is enabled. I don't remember it doing this before. Just recently.

I also just had music paused from Amazon music and that also said the same message about enable Sonos skill but it already is enabled.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, can you check that your location is correct against each of your Sonos One's two components in the Alexa App>Settings and also your profile in www.sonos.com. If these are all correct, then I suggest that you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Okay, can you check that your location is correct against each of your Sonos One's two components in the Alexa App>Settings and also your profile in www.sonos.com. If these are all correct, then I suggest that you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.

Not sure what you mean by location. All the Sonos are online and location Address same. IDK if that's what you mean.

Here is my diagnostics 399111744
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, michael319. Please clarify what you mean by location address. What we are referring to is your geographic location in your Amazon and Sonos accounts. Is this what you meant, too?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi, michael319. Please clarify what you mean by location address. What we are referring to is your geographic location in your Amazon and Sonos accounts. Is this what you meant, too?I don't understand. In Alexa app all my Sonos have the same addreas. IDK how to check on the Sonos account. Why would this affect snhtjjnf?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, michael319. Please clarify what you mean by location address. What we are referring to is your geographic location in your Amazon and Sonos accounts. Is this what you meant, too?I don't understand. In Alexa app all my Sonos have the same addreas. IDK how to check on the Sonos account. Why would this affect snhtjjnf?

There is no documentation published on what the specific tests or logic rules are in place for the Alexa/Sonos integration but some people have found that their home address in their Sonos profile has a bearing on whether the Sonos skill is displayed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is due to the fact that your location has to be set as appropriate for Alexa to function correctly. You can check your specified location by logging into your account at Sonos.com.
Userlevel 1
Badge

There is no documentation published on what the specific tests or logic rules are in place for the Alexa/Sonos integration but some people have found that their home address in their Sonos profile has a bearing on whether the Sonos skill is displayed.
This is due to the fact that your location has to be set as appropriate for Alexa to function correctly. You can check your specified location by logging into your account at Sonos.com.

Okay i am going to make sure my geographical location is in both the alexa app and my sonos account and amazon.

What i am noticing though is that it only happens when the music is paused for a period of time. so silly.
Userlevel 1
Badge
one thing i notice in the alexa app in the setting the Sonos speakers are labeled as 2nd Sonos One, 3rd Sonos one, 4th Sonos one.

should they be renamed to match the name of living room, bedroom? or can i leave them. i'm not sure how to tell which is which..

edit they can't be renamed because i already have living room, bedroom and office under settings as well and those are for the lights.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
one thing i notice in the alexa app in the setting the Sonos speakers are labeled as 2nd Sonos One, 3rd Sonos one, 4th Sonos one.

should they be renamed to match the name of living room, bedroom? or can i leave them. i'm not sure how to tell which is which..

edit they can't be renamed because i already have living room, bedroom and office under settings as well and those are for the lights.

This is showing correctly. There will be two entries for each Sonos One device - one for the Alexa component and one for the Sonos hardware.

Edit:

Can you just check in the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices and confirm that no two devices have the same name? (I use the naming convention of Room Name + Device Type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc)
Userlevel 1
Badge

This is showing correctly. There will be two entries for each Sonos One device - one for the Alexa component and one for the Sonos hardware.
okay I updated my Sonos address.

Also I just asked Alexa to play and it said same message about enabling Sonos. But when I said "play in the office" it worked.

Never had to mention specifics before. Hmm
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also I just asked Alexa to play and it said same message about enabling Sonos. But when I said "play in the office" it worked.

Was this command on an Echo device or a Sonos One?
Userlevel 1
Badge

Was this command on an Echo device or a Sonos One?

I only have Sonos. No echo devices since Alexa was built into these speakers. I didn't buy a separate echo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That's strange, this does happen sometimes when initiated via an Echo device but not normally on a Sonos One.
Userlevel 1
Badge
That's strange, this does happen sometimes when initiated via an Echo device but not normally on a Sonos One. yes it's new to me too. Maybe something updated on Alexa and this is the new norm.
I think it has to do with music being inactive.

Anything show on diagnostics