Answered

Sonos will not skip songs with alexa

Userlevel 1

Alexa says she cannot play the next song when asked to do so. This is a sonos problem because other alexa devices will skip when asked. Only sonos devices wont skip. Sonos and alexa seem to respond correctly to all.other requests, weather, timer, play music etc.

icon

Best answer by sames22 16 April 2020, 02:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

81 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes, factory reset fixed the issue.  

So do I have to then re discover all my Sonos speakers on the Sonos app? Reset all the speakers

could you kindly send the steps thank yo

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have 6 speakers to do so I have to do a factory reset on all devices then head back to the amazon website to re register all the devices, then onto the the Alex app and do the same after I have found the devices on the Sonos app?

Sonos should send a update to rectify this situation as if the last update messed things up they should sending the new fix.

Thanks

Badge

How much work would that be? And do you think it will work if i try it on one of my speakers first?

I don’t know how much setup the speakers require.  The amp was easy.  Took a few mins to reset and then add them back to my account.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There is a new update has anyone done it and has it fixed the problem? Or is this an old update I have not done…. it shows Sonos radio 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

There is a new update has anyone done it and has it fixed the problem? Or is this an old update I have not done…. it shows Sonos radio 

I did. It doesn’t fix the issue of skipping and resuming when steaming starts via Alexa. Sonos radio is a confusing strategy because it’s more ad supported streaming music. I have Apple Music, TuneIn Pro, Amazon Prime music and a massive Plex library. I’d much prefer my ad free music work properly with Sonos and Alexa than more ad supported content in the already hugely crowded streaming music space.

Apparently Sonos have bought their own voice AI company in November last year so one can’t help but wonder if their voice integration focus is on their own new product and not on integrating with Google & Alexa any more.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I did. It doesn’t fix the issue of skipping and resuming when steaming starts via Alexa. Sonos radio is a confusing strategy because it’s more ad supported streaming music. I have Apple Music, TuneIn Pro, Amazon Prime music and a massive Plex library. I’d much prefer my ad free music work properly with Sonos and Alexa than more ad supported content in the already hugely crowded streaming music space.

Apparently Sonos have bought their own voice AI company in November last year so one can’t help but wonder if their voice integration focus is on their own new product and not on integrating with Google & Alexa any more.

Soo guess we are going to have to wait until Sonos resolve this problem themselves????

this new AI is it working yet?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Don’t know.

Here the article

Badge

I have 6 speakers to do so I have to do a factory reset on all devices then head back to the amazon website to re register all the devices, then onto the the Alex app and do the same after I have found the devices on the Sonos app?

Sonos should send a update to rectify this situation as if the last update messed things up they should sending the new fix.

Thanks

you are adding steps that are not needed.  

step 1: in the Sonos amp remove amazon music.

step 2: disable Sonos skill in the Alexa app.  

step 3: either using the amazon app or the webpage go to device and contents section and deregister each Sonos device found

those three steps takes about 1 min. 

step 4: factory reset all devices all but one.  (This will make added devices back quicker) 

step 5: in Sonos app go to settings>system>add device

add all speakers.  Then Factory reset the last speaker and add it back  

(for me this took about 4 mins for three devices)  

step 6: add amazon music back in Sonos app

Step 7: add Sonos skill back in the Alexa app

step 8: run discover if the Alexa app didn’t do it.  You can do so by voice command or via Alexa app.  

You should be able to test the system now.  

This error is possibly an issues between Sonos systems and amazon servers.   The factory reset forces a new connection between Sonos and amazon servers.   I’m not sure if a software update can do it alone.   This could be sonos’s fault but could also be Amazon’s fault.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks

step 3: either using the amazon app or the webpage go to device and contents section and deregister each Sonos device found

step 4: factory reset all devices all but one.  (This will make added devices back quicker) 

step 8: run discover if the Alexa app didn’t do it.  You can do so by voice command or via Alexa app.  

This error is possibly an issues between Sonos systems and amazon servers.   The factory reset forces a new connection between Sonos and amazon servers.   I’m not sure if a software update can do it alone.   This could be sonos’s fault but could also be Amazon’s fault.  

Thank you I’ll give this ago and see how it goes. I have tried many ways and just been on the phone to Sonos and they say we know about this and will fix it. 6 months ago this problem started and nothing has happ

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks

Thank you I’ll give this ago and see how it goes. I have tried many ways and just been on the phone to Sonos and they say we know about this and will fix it. 6 months ago this problem started and nothing has happ

Is your system now working ok?

By adding one speaker after all the others have been connected what does that do, I also need to remove the devices from the amazon Website and then re add them?

Badge

Bamra74, 

the leaving one device is just to make the setup easier.   if you have no Sonos devices then the setting menu is greyed out because there is no Sonos devices.  You would have to take a extra step to add devices.   However you could factory reset all of them at the same time.  

You do not have to add anything to amazon.   It’s automatic once you enable the skill and run discovery.  

did you follow the steps in my last post? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Bamra74, 

the leaving one device is just to make the setup easier.   if you have no Sonos devices then the setting menu is greyed out because there is no Sonos devices.  You would have to take a extra step to add devices.   However you could factory reset all of them at the same time.  

You do not have to add anything to amazon.   It’s automatic once you enable the skill and run discovery.  

did you follow the steps in my last post? 

I will be doing that tmrw now. So I have a playbar, sub and two plays 1s in the front room. Do I first just add the Sonos 1s, sub after its set up then add the play bar? 

I have a beam also for the bedroom .

Thank you for your help 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks

This actually did work. The steps do not work without the factory reset. It seems you also need to reset ALL speakers before adding the skill again, otherwise it doesn’t work.

Unfortunately it took me 45 minutes to get all speakers back:

2x Play:5, 2x One SL, 2x One

Make sure to note the following before you start:

• Stereo Pairs
  • Volume Limits for your speakers
  • TruePlay is lost and has to be redone

Firewater,

Thanks for the info, the factory reset was the key to resolving my issue as well.

I’ve tried this twice, second time was just in case had added the skill too early. Unfortunately it has not worked for me either time. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Firewater,

Thanks for the info, the factory reset was the key to resolving my issue as well.

Can you confirm that a station or streaming radio function like an Amazon Music station like Lounge & Bar or an Apple Music station like Downtempo (or any apple station as they all allow skipping one song) now allows skip and resume? I’m so reticent to hard reset 5 speakers and retune them without at least some confirmation from Sonos that this works.

Alexa is a cloud-based service, it’s not in any way hardware-related to Sonos. Thus a factory reset won’t help, at least not for long. It’s trying your patience but Amazon and Sonos are already working on it, as far as I’m aware.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Alexa is a cloud-based service, it’s not in any way hardware-related to Sonos. Thus a factory reset won’t help, at least not for long. It’s trying your patience but Amazon and Sonos are already working on it, as far as I’m aware.

Given the fact that they work on it for half a year already I would say it’s your best chance to get it fixed, at least for a while.

Firewater, the factory reset process worked for me!  Here are a few tweaks I did during my process:

• After removing devices from Alexa / Amazon website, I also deleted any groups that had only contained a Sonos speaker
  • After re-enabling Sonos skill in Alexa app and re-discovering devices, Alexa service did not immediately work on my speakers.  I then had to go back to the Sonos app and re-add the Alexa service to all speakers.

After doing this everything is now working properly on my speakers (at least for now).

CovertDirt,

I am listening to the classic rock station on amazon music as I am writing this and it is working fine for skipping tracks, volume, pause/resume, etc. I hope this helps.

if i ask to Alexa “start playlist XY” she plays only the first song and then stop. But I noticed that if I start the playlist manually on the sonos app then Alexa quietly changes the tracks. I have come to the conclusion that the problem is in the skill on alexa app.

I’ve come to that same conclusion myself.  I disabled the Sonos skill and added it back (pain in the ash for me) and it worked for maybe a day or less. 

I followed all of the detailed instructions and still Alexa cannot skip or pause and continue when initiated from Alexa. When playing music directly from SONOS the Alexa commands will work. It seems like a communication issue between Alexa and SONOS, an account linking problem or this is done intentionally to make user interface with the SONOS app

*!!!Thanks Firewater,*** your process help me solve the issue with took me the whole day to figure out.

“ step 1: in the Sonos amp remove amazon music.

step 2: disable Sonos skill in the Alexa app and remove all sonos speakears froms your groups

step 3: either using the amazon app or the webpage go to device and contents section and deregister each Sonos device found those three steps takes about 1 min.

step 4: factory reset all devices all but one. (This will make added devices back quicker)

step 5: in Sonos app go to settings>system>add device add all speakers. Then Factory reset the last speaker and add it back (for me this took about 4 mins for three devices)

step 8: run discover if the Alexa app didn’t do it. You can do so by voice command or via Alexa app.

You should be able to test the system now. This error is possibly an issues between Sonos systems and amazon servers. The factory reset forces a new connection between Sonos and amazon servers. I’m not sure if a software update can do it alone. This could be sonos’s fault but could also be Amazon’s fault. “

:grinning:

Userlevel 2
Badge

No luck for me. I followed the steps above, reset all, deregister, add, and still cannot skip songs.

Still the annoying "I can't skip to the next song"  

Sonos, help me out here. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Alexa says she cannot play the next song when asked to do so. This is a sonos problem because other alexa devices will skip when asked. Only sonos devices wont skip. Sonos and alexa seem to respond correctly to all.other requests, weather, timer, play music etc.

Too bad i tried all the steps and still doesn’t work for me. 
come on Sonos, my system is not legacy, i just bought them 6 months ago.