Answered

Sonos will not skip songs with alexa

Userlevel 1

Alexa says she cannot play the next song when asked to do so. This is a sonos problem because other alexa devices will skip when asked. Only sonos devices wont skip. Sonos and alexa seem to respond correctly to all.other requests, weather, timer, play music etc.

icon

Best answer by sames22 16 April 2020, 02:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

81 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve have tried everything but my devices will not skip tracks or if I ask Alexa to play my songs when a track has finished it will not play the next song?????

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Very annoying just spent 2 hours on the phone and nothing said it was due of my Sky Q box really it was working fine up till 10am. Reading on the forum the question to look for is won’t skip track, a lot of customers are having the same problem. Sonos fix this now we have paid £2000 for all your equipment 

Userlevel 1

Hey bamra74, I just deleted my Sonos app from my phone and added it back. The issue has been resolved. I have an android. Last night I checked for an app update and it said my app was up to date. Obviously this was wrong. Hope this helps.

PS disappointed with sonos lack of response.

Userlevel 1

Problem is back again. Issue was resolved for a short while. Let us know what to do SONOS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi All

Can you please Disable then Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App as a first step and let us know if the problem persists.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Doesn't work. This is a problem for a lot of people now. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve enabled and disabled the skill until my fingers hurt. I’ve restarted, rebooted and nothing works. Alexa replies “I can’t skip”.

google Alexa Sonos can’t skip songs / Alexa Sonos won’t skip tracks and you end up here in one of the many unanswered unsolved forum threads.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve enabled and disabled the skill until my fingers hurt. I’ve restarted, rebooted and nothing works. Alexa replies “I can’t skip”.

google Alexa Sonos can’t skip songs / Alexa Sonos won’t skip tracks and you end up here in one of the many unanswered unsolved forum threads.

I have just tested this on my set-up again whilst listening to a playlist in my queue.  Using the commands ‘Alexa, Next’ and ‘Alexa, Previous’, both commands worked correctly.

I wonder if this is a geographical issue?  

My details are:

Device: Sonos One

Voice: Amazon Alexa

Can you confirm the command that you are using? And that your voice assistant has heard you correctly in the relevant App History?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m in Australia.

Saying “play next song” or “next” or “skip this song” or “skip” results in Alexa replying “I can’t skip”.

Today I’ve also noticed if I start from my Sonos Move or Sonos One or from the Echo Dot with “Alexa play Downtempo” she starts the right Apple Music station (Downtempo Radio) and she will play just a single song. Then stop. This is a new behaviour and I can’t replicate it consistently but it’s pretty annoying and it’s new.

But saying any combination of skip or next has Alexa reply “I’m sorry I can’t skip to the next song”.

I've tried from my Sonos One, my Sonos Move and from my Echo Dot. No skips, and now a “single song played” then stop.

EDIT: Alexa has definitely heard me right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’s not possible to skip Radio.  Are you able to select a Playlist and try again.  My test is ‘Alexa, Play Soft Jazz Playlist’.  Alexa, Next and Previous work fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Yes, It is possible to skip one song at a time in Apple Music ‘radio’ stations. It’s possible in the Music App and the Sonos app. Only one song at a time though.

These are not like a TuneIn station. 

Apple Music users will confirm this. Try any of their curated content stations like Downtempo or Funk or Pure Jazz or Smooth Jazz...any of them - especially my personal favourite “Hair Metal”.

:)

Skip is part of the Apple Radio experience. Sonos does it in the app just fine like it does for curated Amazon Music stations. Just that Sonos and Alexa can’t. Seems well documented on many threads here. Alexa on Sonos can’t skip or go to next song.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I'm in the UK. Been able to skip 1 song in about 100 attempts over the last several days. Works on other devices just not sonos. This is a sonos problem.

If you use the sonos app to skip songs on amazon music it won't either. You have to go on the amazon music app and select a different song. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I'm in the UK. Been able to skip 1 song in about 100 attempts over the last several days. Works on other devices just not sonos. This is a sonos problem.

If you use the sonos app to skip songs on amazon music it won't either. You have to go on the amazon music app and select a different song. 

I have Amazon Prime music and I listen to a station called Lounge & Bar and another called Chillout & Ambient through the Sonos app, and you can skip songs in both, and rate songs ‘thumbs up’ or down and the station will immediately skip it and give a message in Sonos saying it won’t play songs like that on the station. I really like that feature as when listening to Apple Music stations or playlists in Sonos you can’t love/thumbs up a song. That is a neat integration that only appears for me in Sonos from Amazon stations or albums.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Go into sonos app. Go to services where amazon music is. There was update and reauthorised the account and all working now.

Edit: well it it worked for a bit. Back to not skipping now. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Guys I've fixed it. 

Go into sonos app. Go to services where amazon music is. There was update and reauthorised the account and all working now. 

That won’t/doesn’t fix my issue as I’m getting the error in Apple Music too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi.

I can't test on Apple Music as I don't use it. All my testing has been on Spotify, perhaps the issue is Music Service specific?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This actually seems WORSE today.

Alexa play ‘music’ works

Alexa ‘stop music’ works

Alexa ‘pause music’ works

Alexa ‘resume music’ totally doesn’t work at all

Alexa ‘play’ (when attempting to resume doesn’t work)

Alexa ‘play music’ (when paused) starts a new station or a random song

Alexa ‘next’ or ‘Alexa skip song’ doesn’t work on playlists or Apple Music stations.

Previously I could at least start music playing, then say ‘pause music’, take a call, then say ‘resume music’ and it worked fine.

I don’t know how many times I can re-enable skills, re-authorise services and go in circles looking for four basic commands to work consistently and reliably. This is all I want Alexa on my Sonos One to do:

Play music

Pause music

Resume music

Skip this song

Is that too much to ask from both Amazon and Sonos to deliver consistently? This is the most simple of all the things you want a smart speaker to do and they are totally random and failing on the integration.

Using the app I am fine, but the whole point of integrating Alexa into my Sonos Move and Sonos One is to enable me to say play music, pause music, resume music, skip a song.

I have integrations with my smart lighting that work effortlessly and they cost a LOT less than my sonos gear.

Userlevel 1

I am in the US.

Problem still persists.

I have uninstalled and reinistalled all apps. I have disabled and enabled all skills. Nothi g works. 

At times it appears to get worse and alexa qont respond to other commands.

Problem only exists on sonos not amazon/alexa devices

WHERE IS SONOS????? I THOUGHT THOS WAS THERE FORUM TO PROVIDE INFORMATION.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

“Problem only exists on sonos not amazon/alexa devices”

sadly for me it’s on my echo dot and my echo show, as well as my Sonos One and Sonos Move. Sonos and Alexa are just awful together, no matter which device I use to simply ask Alexa to do basic stuff like after asking Alex to pause (which works) then asking  “resume music” or “skip song” totally fails. It’s no better from the dot or the show devices when using them to ‘control’ Sonos. I say ‘control’ in quotes ironibecause there’s no control!

Userlevel 1

OKAY I THINK I GOT IT. RIGHT NOW THE SITUATION IS RESOLVED FOR ME.

I deregistered my sonos devices with Amazon on BOTH the Alexa App AND in my Amazon prime account. Deregistering on the alexa app is not good enough, deregister with amazon on the web or through their app.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled sonos app for good measure. In the sonos app i selected Amazon as a music service (my sonos is already alexa voice enabled/embedded) from there it asked me to reauthorize the amazon account for music. I had to link my devices to the amazon music account again individually.....so far so good. She is skipping aongs and acting normal...for now.

Good luck everyone. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ok so I have an Apple Music account. Where do I go on the amazon website to reregister my devices? So de registering them from the amazon Alexa app won’t work? I just hope I won’t lose all my other devices that are connected to the Alexa app. Do I need to go back to the amazon Alexa app and re register my Sonos speakers? Thank you   

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You did mention using the app to de registering but also said just using the app will not work to do that. All your help is much appreciated 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Alexa says she cannot play the next song when asked to do so. This is a sonos problem because other alexa devices will skip when asked. Only sonos devices wont skip. Sonos and alexa seem to respond correctly to all.other requests, weather, timer, play music etc.

Sorry do you mean disable the Apple Music skill from the amazon Alexa app then once I have re registered the Sonos speakers with the amazon Alexa app you then enable the Apple Music skill again on Alexa app?

Userlevel 1

Logged into your amazon account, under settings there is a My Account" option. There should be some options/dropdowns to review.your devices. You can select the device and register it/them.

I did this for amazon music. Not sure if this will work for apple music. I would try to deregister them and then link them back to the apple music service. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got that page found my Sonos speakers so I will not have to re register on the amazon website but on the amazon Alexa app? Your system still working? If this works you should be the technical wizard for Sonos. Thank you