Sonos stops after playing one song from Amazon Music

• 4 October 2017
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1
"Alexa, play classical music on dining room"

Alexa starts classical focus from amazon on dining room sonos.

After one selection, sonos goes quiet. Sonos app shows nothing playing. I can ask alexa to play classical music again, and again it plays just one selection and stops.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi William, a couple suggestions to start with, can you please disable the Alexa skill and enable it again? When you do so, discover devices again.

If you're still having this issue, can you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?
Badge
I have just had the same issue, but after 2 songs were played. If I go into the Alexa web app, select the Sonos speaker that was playing, I can see the scrubber bar is at the very end and it thinks it is still playing. If I press next track, it starts the next song in the playlist.

I too will submit a diagnostic report.
Userlevel 1
I did as you suggest. Same result - only one song plays.

Diagnostic confirmation number is 7913964.
Badge
Submitted a diagnostic report on this issue as part of the beta program. Uninstalled and reinstalled everything when the beta program ended, but the problem persists. So after all that time testing, this app is now useless to me. Very disappointed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
From a different thread, here's something that worked for another user.
Here is an update on how I was able to find a work-around:
1. forget all Sonos devices in the Alexa App.
2. Disable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App.
3. Re-enable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App.
4. Power Off then on Echo Dot
5. Power Off then on the Sonos speakers

Now I can both start and stop music in the living room, as well as advance tracks. The music does not stop after a single song.

Hopefully these steps will help someone else. The key here is that simply disabling and re-enabling the skill is not sufficient. Devices must actually be powered off to solve the issue.
Badge
I have the same issue. The above workaround does not work for me.
Userlevel 1
Above workaround not working for me either.
I have the same issue too. "Play xxxx radio" gives me one track of whichever artist I ask for then music stops. If I ask Alexa to pay another track it tells me I cannot as it is already streaming on another device.
Participation in this beta assumes one will submit issues and feedback to the beta team to help improve the coming general release. Please submit a diagnostic after these issues occur and post feedback to the beta feedback page here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/beta
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Participation in this beta assumes one will submit issues and feedback to the beta team to help improve the coming general release. Please submit a diagnostic after these issues occur and post feedback to the beta feedback page here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/beta

Done. Though I selected iOS as the control when Alexa should be an option.
True. Seems even the beta feedback page is a beta. :-;
Badge
I had exactly the same issues, and contacted SONOS support, The diagnostics showed some anomalies with my ethernet connection. I played around with it, and my Alexa functionality is now nearly perfect.

Basically, I had a wired ethernet connection into my Player speaker from my router, I also had an ethernet cable running OUT of the Playbar into my Sky TV box - I was effectively using the Playbar as a hub. I unplugged the OUT cable so my Sky box wasn't using the ethernet run through he Playbar. Instantly, all was working with Alexa and Sonos (except my bedroom Play 1, which worked fine after a power down cycle). When I plugged the Sky box back into the ethernet on the Playbar, there was no detrimental effect on the Alexa/Sonos functionality.

Very happy camper now. Hope this might help some of the others.
Userlevel 2
Any updates on this issue?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Any updates on this issue?

Did you submit a diagnostic and raise a beta support ticket?

It seems that some of the problems are related to people's network set-up. I won't have my permanent network set-up until Friday so I've not followed up my ticket yet.
Badge
I have exactly the same problem the echo dot works fine on its own but when I play it via the sonos - one song and it stops - can't increase volume, Lower volume or pause/ stop - really is bugging me as I have researched everything and tried everything including messaging sonsos and posting on this forum.. please help I won't give up until I get it sorted - by the way I have two sonos one in kitchen and one in bedroom and bought two echo dots for each sonos..thanks :?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have exactly the same problem the echo dot works fine on its own but when I play it via the sonos - one song and it stops - can't increase volume, Lower volume or pause/ stop - really is bugging me as I have researched everything and tried everything including messaging sonsos and posting on this forum.. please help I won't give up until I get it sorted - by the way I have two sonos one in kitchen and one in bedroom and bought two echo dots for each sonos..thanks :?
Haven't story got back to you about your ticket?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, there are some really great Alexa and Sonos troubleshooting steps to start with here. I recommend disabling the Alexa skill for Sonos and re-enabling it. Then tell Alexa to discover devices. If you keep having trouble, it'd probably be best to give us a call on our support line.
Badge
I have tried all suggestions. But still no joy. I have amazon unlimited via my prime account but stupidly i registered again and was charged £7.99..!!!! you would think amazon wouldnt allow this to happen.. so best case scenario both dots are going back in the boxes and a refund is the best option.:@ i have wasted so much time on this issue.
From a different thread, here's something that worked for another user.
Here is an update on how I was able to find a work-around:
1. forget all Sonos devices in the Alexa App.
2. Disable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App.
3. Re-enable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App.
4. Power Off then on Echo Dot
5. Power Off then on the Sonos speakers

Now I can both start and stop music in the living room, as well as advance tracks. The music does not stop after a single song.

Hopefully these steps will help someone else. The key here is that simply disabling and re-enabling the skill is not sufficient. Devices must actually be powered off to solve the issue.

this fixed my issue on the new One. Thanks!!
Badge
Ryan I did this already prior to posting my comments - still no joy!!
Badge
Wondering if there is an update on this? I’m having the same problem. Have tried the steps of disabling the skill and re-enabling then discovering devices (it says no new devices found)

Also tried disabling the skill and removing all devices from Alexa, and disabling Alexa from the room in Sonos. Then going through the setup again. Still new joy.

I’m using a stereo pair if it makes a difference. And if I view either stereo pair or the room in the Alexa app it has the little “Oops something went wrong. Please open the Alexa app...” banner, but still lets me make changes.

Pretty close to returning them at the moment unfortunately!
Badge
nope still no joy - I have given up and never got around to returning the Echo's so a waste of money tbh...I FB messaged Sonos and they replied re going through the usual steps that you also mentioned but to no avail... won't be recommending the Alexa Echo .. now I am back to using my Sonos via my phone app...
Amazon music stops playing after one song. Diagnostic 8121182
Having the same issue here as well. Sonos One + Alexa. Playlists/Stations stop after 1 song. Does not respond to STOP MUSIC commands. Submitted a ticket.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Having the same issue here as well. Sonos One + Alexa. Playlists/Stations stop after 1 song. Does not respond to STOP MUSIC commands. Submitted a ticket.

Try resetting your voice control by following the options I've listed within the answer in this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239