Sonos Play One dissapointments

• 2 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I have to say I have been along time Sonos proponent and supporter. I have owned my sonos amps since 2006 long before we had touchscreen or speaker options. I have always touted their support and reliability.

Calling the One an Alexa device is horrible advertising and beyond misleading. The One can't do half the stuff my alexa's can do. I have have another third party speaker with alexa built in that does more than sonos. I understand it's a "beta" product officially but you are selling this Beta at $200 a pop and advertising features that just aren't there.

Seems to me the logical solution would to have been to partner with amazon and someone mount a dot at the top of the speaker and have internal line in connection to the sonos speaker. Here is my list of needs from top to bottom.

1. Get basic alexa support (news, sports, skills etc) how you don't have this first and foremost is shocking
2. Get Amazon to open up and accept this as an alexa device (not being able to add to alexa enabled groups or routines is terrible!!) Again this would be solved by the dot solution
3. Stop treating the One like two separate devices. I don't like asking a song to play and then hearing it's playing back on my "sonosname" I know it's playing locally I don't need to hear that confirmation.

Again highly disappointing so my post may be harsh. When you have google and Apple coming on your tales with quality speakers in tow you need to get your ducks in a row or sonos will be left behind.

On the positive the build quality is still what I expect from Sonos just wish the integration was there.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

1. Get basic alexa support (news, sports, skills etc) how you don't have this first and foremost is shocking

Sonos has stated this is a top priority and is coming soon.

2. Get Amazon to open up and accept this as an alexa device (not being able to add to alexa enabled groups or routines is terrible!!) Again this would be solved by the dot solution

This is up to Amazon. Currently, 3rd party speakers are not supported in Alexa groups. Amazon have announced a new SDK available early next year:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/7c9343ce-425b-4baa-ae63-49c36afb5341/giving-device-makers-more-ways-to-bring-voice-forward-music-experiences-to-their-products

Multi-Room Music SDK
For those device makers without their own multi-room music solutions, the AVS Multi-Room Music SDK extends the new synchronized music capability from today’s Echo Family of Devices announcement to third-party device makers, enabling customers to group multiple Amazon Echo and other third-party Alexa-enabled products together for “whole home” music experiences. The SDK is available to device makers building Alexa-enabled products early next year.

Whether Sonos can or will utilize this new SDK remains to be seen.

3. Stop treating the One like two separate devices. I don't like asking a song to play and then hearing it's playing back on my "sonosname" I know it's playing locally I don't need to hear that confirmation.

Similar to above, this depends on when Amazon allows you to assign Alexa controls to a designated default device. Amazon's Connected Speaker API is operational right now, it is their multi-room speaker functionality that is still being worked on. Not much Sonos can do about it until Amazon is ready.

Calling the One an Alexa device is horrible advertising and beyond misleading. The One can't do half the stuff my alexa's can do.

I think it's important to remember that Alexa Enabled Devices are different then Echos. Echos have features that other Alexa devices do not have. Still, you are correct that there are features missing that should be there.

As far as it being misleading, I'm not exactly sure how they should have advertised it differently. Saying it does everything is misleading to what it does right now. Saying "it does some of the stuff" doesn't really push sales. I just hope it gets to the point that it's a full Alexa device sooner rather than later.

I have have another third party speaker with alexa built in that does more than sonos. I understand it's a "beta" product officially but you are selling this Beta at $200 a pop and advertising features that just aren't there.

That's a rather misleading statement since your third party speaker surely doesn't have nearly the feature that the Sons One does. And the $200 price is really pretty good considering it's the same price as the PLAY:1. You could make the argument that all the Alexa features are effectively free. I get that's not a comfort to a lot of customers, especially if they only bought the One for Alexa features, but it is a valid perspective.

Seems to me the logical solution would to have been to partner with amazon and someone mount a dot at the top of the speaker and have internal line in connection to the sonos speaker.

Doesn't sound very esthetically pleasing, nor does it allow the SONOS ONE to work with Google or other voice assistance, which is been stated as the eventual plan.

Again highly disappointing so my post may be harsh. When you have google and Apple coming on your tales with quality speakers in tow you need to get your ducks in a row or sonos will be left behind.

Sonos has different price points and features then these competitors. There are surely going to be competition, but I think Sonos will do just fine. We'll see.
Userlevel 2
Badge

As far as it being misleading, I'm not exactly sure how they should have advertised it differently. Saying it does everything is misleading to what it does right now. Saying "it does some of the stuff" doesn't really push sales. I just hope it gets to the point that it's a full Alexa device sooner rather than later.

It's misleading to represent it as a full alexa. They don't state on the marketing or box of the sonos One that it is limited in it's feature set.

That's a rather misleading statement since your third party speaker surely doesn't have nearly the feature that the Sons One does. And the $200 price is really pretty good considering it's the same price as the PLAY:1. You could make the argument that all the Alexa features are effectively free. I get that's not a comfort to a lot of customers, especially if they only bought the One for Alexa features, but it is a valid perspective.

Feature set has nothing to do with it. The cheaper $30-$50 speakers can do all the alexa task. "For the price you pay" isn't a valid point we pay for a feature set and it doesn't have it. Promises of "the future" never set well. You should maybe look back at how long ago they announced alexa support.

Doesn't sound very esthetically pleasing, nor does it allow the SONOS ONE to work with Google or other voice assistance, which is been stated as the eventual plan.

I turn you again to the original announcement in august 2016 of support coming

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-alexa-coming-to-sonos-music-systems/

I wouldn't hold your breath on google and apple coming soon. "2018" is pretty broad. That brings the point again this was rushed to keep up with google/apple upcoming speakers.

Sonos has different price points and features then these competitors. There are surely going to be competition, but I think Sonos will do just fine. We'll see.

Price points don't match feature set my friend. I think you are drinking the sonos koolaid a little much. Like I said I have been a sonos lover over 11 years now. I use to wholesale them directly long ago. But to argue this was a consumer ready release is childish. I get it's beta, but you can't sale a $200 product to the public in Beta. 99% of consumers expect a consumer ready device. Price points are on par with Sonos for apple and google bigger speakers. If they have quality it will crush this try for sonos.