Sonos One: Voice control for Sonos is not supported in your country, yet

• 5 October 2017
  • 40 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi there Sonos community,

This is probably a very early question to ask but I have been waiting to buy Sonos just for the Alexa integration. And now they are releasing the Sonos One YAY 😃. BUT... when preordering it says "Voice control for Sonos is not supported in your country, yet". Alexa is actually not supported in Sweden but I have imported it and it works but somewhat limited in regards to location services etc.That doesn't really bother me since I use it to control my Philips Hue, entertainment setup and of course timers when cooking food. I recently purchased the Logitech Harmony Hub Elite which Alexa doesn't fully support in Sweden (location restricted skill). I have managed to get around it using Yonomi but missing out on play/pause/volume up/volume down functions. I know Yonomi works with Sonos but will Alexa actually work in the Sonos One in Sweden.

TL;DR
Will I be able to take my echo dot and replace it with the Sonos One or will it sense my location (Sweden) and restrict it from working.

Best regards,
Simon

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

OK - I'm a little confused on the voice command ability of the Sonos One outside of Germany, UK etc. I live in Ireland and i am still confused as to what works on the voice command. Can someone confirm.

I have a Spotify account and would like to use the One to request music via voice command. Can it do this in a country outside of UK< Germany US etc?

I don't want to order pizza, book a taxi or order from Amazon but i may wish to use the facility to command lights in the house etc. Would the voice command work for this in an unsupported country?

I don't want to pay out the money for a ONE if it is only capable of playing music - There are equally good speakers out there for less money if i have to manually call up songs

Thanks in advance for any support you can provide
Userlevel 1
Badge
I will try to clarify some information here. This will not be officially supported by Sonos but yes it works. I live in Sweden where this is not officially supported.

Sonos one with voice support (must be enabled inside the app of sonos) There is a step by step on how to do it in the Sonos app. The Sonos One with enabled voice support acts like an Amazon echo plus. That means it will act as a smart hub which means if you have, lets say Philips Hue you do not need the hue bridge. You can control the settings within the Alexa app. The Alexa app is not available for me in Sweden (iOS user). You will have to take an alternative route to get it to work. Android users can get the .APK online and iOS user will have to get their hands on a UK, USA or German iOS account since its location restricted. The problem is that if you want to use the sonos one as an bridge you NEED the app. The webb gui does not support the hub features like increase brightness, turn on/off devices etc so you will need the app.

I havn't tried this myself but I helped my little brother configure it after influencing him to by it 🙂. I myself use the Echo dot so I can't provide more information in detail on what works and what not. But it works 🙂.

If I wasn't clear enough:

* Voice works with Spotify on the Sonos one without having another Alexa device.
* Sonos one works as a smart home brigde so no need for hue bridge etc

Regards,
Fergs
Userlevel 1
Badge
I got a private message that reminded me of a very important step which I would like to add. If you want to enable voice for the Sonos one. Make sure to change the Sonos profile to an officially Alexa supported country (USA, UK or Germany).

Regards,
Fergie
@FergieBergie, thanks for your response. It is very helpful and kind of you.

So, if i understand you correctly, if i have an Apple account registered in the UK, and Amazon account registered in the UK then i can download the ios app and use Alexa as a voice command to Spotify and any lights etc in the home?

Thanks again
Userlevel 1
Badge
@FergieBergie, thanks for your response. It is very helpful and kind of you.

So, if i understand you correctly, if i have an Apple account registered in the UK, and Amazon account registered in the UK then i can download the ios app and use Alexa as a voice command to Spotify and any lights etc in the home?

Thanks again

No worries, these things are not so clear 🙂.

You don't need a UK registered Amazon account but an Apple UK account. In the sonos app make sure to set the language/location to UK since this enables voice for the Sonos One.

Hope this helps.
Simon
@FergieBergie I also live in Sweden (expat) and have the same issue but don’t know the fix.

I have

- echo dot (Alexa)
- sonos skill installed on echo dot
- 5 sonos speakers, not the new one. Plays 5’s and 3’s.
- Spotify
- sonos app
- Alexa app installed on iOS

Feels like I have everything but sonos won’t allow me to add voice services. Am I missing something?

Is it as simple as using a VPN to route traffic to uk, activate voice services on sonos app and it should work? I doubt they would IP check when using it outside of those areas, would seem over kill on sonos behalf. Or is it more an address change ?

AnywY if you can shed any light on this be great. So frustrating to have all the equipment, live next door to Spotify, own a bunch of sonos speakers and not be able to use them with Alexa...

Tack
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Redwall,

I do not have Sonos myself but I have done a lot of research since I am interested in the Sonos system. My brother on the other hand does have two Sonos One and two play 5 speaker with Alexa built in and I think I know what you have done wrong.

I myself just like you are rocking an echo dot integrated with Logitech harmony elite, 22 Philips Hue products, TP-link wifi switch. Every product/skill has it own problems. The only one that has been simple is Philips Hue.

I would recommend you to not use the app. Why? I think it is poorly made since you can't even switch colors or delete/forget all devices or scenes in one press which is a pain in the a**. @Amazonalexa - please fix. You can delete/forget/inactivate them one by one but if you have 50 scenes well.... you get the point. AND I can't update the app since I need to take an UK iCloud account to download/upgrade the app. So to save you alot of frustration go with the webb gui (alexa.amazon.com).

Make sure the Sonos speakers run on the same network as the echo dot since it does not support the 5 ghz bandwidth. Go with the regular 2.4 ghz. This setting is configured inside your router and since you have the echo dot already configured (I think) this is already under control.

Configure your sonos setup from within the sonos app. Make sure everything is working within the Sonos app as you wanted before you pair it with the Echo dot. Remember that Alexa is pretty dumb so if you have lets say Philips Hue devices that is named something with Living Room and a Sonos speaker named something with Living Room she will most likely reply. - "I found several devices matching that name, which one did you want" This is so annoying and it ruins the purpose of voice control. Makes me frigging angry. I will soon try the google home. Seams to be much more reliable.

Make sure you have changed to a supported language for an Alexa supported country (UK, USA or Germany. My brother picked English - UK. This unlocked voice for the Sonos One and might be the problem for you too. You will want to do this here: https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/profile/. In the lower left corner there is a small flag. Pick United Kingdom.

Now you will want to link the Sonos Skill and follow the account linking setup. Then head to discover devices and she will probably find your speakers. Now you will be able to say. - "Alexa, play jazz in the living room".

Using VPN will not be needed and it is quite hard to route Alexa through a VPN wifi. I did try this back when I wanted to make the Harmony Skill work for me. I had to choose a workarround called Yonomi. This is Supported for Sonos too. Ceck this http://support.yonomi.co/knowledge_base/topics/using-alexa-and-sonos-together. I am not sure if you can use all the commands but it works good. At least it did as a bridge for my echo and harmony.

Can someone explain why the have region restriction on so many products? Just be honest about not having support. I understand you can't support all countries but common. It is soon 2018. Stop making us find work arounds when we pay a lot of money for your products. Why would for an example Sonos even sell the Sonos One in Sweden in the first place? This is not only critique for Sonos but many smart home device manufacturers.

Sorry for the rant in the end but I am very disappointed with this phenomenon even though I love tech. I love being first among my acquaintances showing of all the cool stuff just making their jaws drop and credit cards glow 🙂. But having stupid flaws that any tester should have come across using the product regularly makes me sad. I would love to help even if it means sending the darn thing back in the end. I spend so much time reading reviews, watching endless of youtube reviews and lately supporting people.

I can live with most flaws since I love tech but the best tester is my girlfriend. If she thinks it is annoying how are "nontechies" supposed to co-op with them?

These companies just want to make money and it is fast. The Sonos echo system works great by itself no questions asked. Same goes for the Philips Hue. I have never encountered an easier system to manage. But integrating Alexa ruins the experience.

Peace out 🙂
Badge
Hello there, everyone.

Thanks for reaching out. Amazon Alexa is working with Sonos One in the US, UK, and Germany at the moment, but we don’t support any other countries just yet. We wouldn’t recommend trying voice out in other countries, but if you have a Sonos One elsewhere in the world it’ll work great with Sonos, just not for voice. It’ll also be voice ready when services become available in your country.

Hi all,

I live in Italy and received my first Sonos One as a present. I have an Amazon UK account but cannot connext connext my Sonos One to it and therefore cannot activate Alexas. If I click "voice services", next "Amazon Alexa", next "Add to Sonos", next "Connect you Amazon Account", then I'm automatically diverted to www.amazon.it which doesn't allow me to insert my Amazon UK Login details.

I'm travelling to the UK in 2 days time, so I'll take my Sonos Onde with me and try to connect it to my Amazon UK account there.

I wonder though if the voice service then will keep working once I get back in Italy, or the next day when I'll be in Belgium? More concrete: will I be able to use Alexa, once my Sono One is linked to my Amazon UK account, for playing my own library music as well as Spotify when being OUTSIDE the UK, the US, Germany and Sweden?

Second, if the answer to my furst question is yes, and if I then would decide to buy another Sonos One to stereo-pair it with my first Sonos One, would I need to also connect this second Sonos One to my Amazon UK account in the UK in order to make it work elsewhere, or will iut just work fine through my first Sonos One?

Thanks!
Adinda
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello there, everyone.

Thanks for reaching out. Amazon Alexa is working with Sonos One in the US, UK, and Germany at the moment, but we don’t support any other countries just yet. We wouldn’t recommend trying voice out in other countries, but if you have a Sonos One elsewhere in the world it’ll work great with Sonos, just not for voice. It’ll also be voice ready when services become available in your country.

Hi all,

I live in Italy and received my first Sonos One as a present. I have an Amazon UK account but cannot connext connext my Sonos One to it and therefore cannot activate Alexas. If I click "voice services", next "Amazon Alexa", next "Add to Sonos", next "Connect you Amazon Account", then I'm automatically diverted to www.amazon.it which doesn't allow me to insert my Amazon UK Login details.

I'm travelling to the UK in 2 days time, so I'll take my Sonos Onde with me and try to connect it to my Amazon UK account there.

I wonder though if the voice service then will keep working once I get back in Italy, or the next day when I'll be in Belgium? More concrete: will I be able to use Alexa, once my Sono One is linked to my Amazon UK account, for playing my own library music as well as Spotify when being OUTSIDE the UK, the US, Germany and Sweden?

Second, if the answer to my furst question is yes, and if I then would decide to buy another Sonos One to stereo-pair it with my first Sonos One, would I need to also connect this second Sonos One to my Amazon UK account in the UK in order to make it work elsewhere, or will iut just work fine through my first Sonos One?

Thanks!
Adinda

Please read all my posts in this thread. You will find the answear
Badge
Hello there, everyone.

Hi all,

Thanks!
Adinda

I'm sorry but I don't see the answers! I've read your posts alkready five times, and I must say I just don't understand most of it. I'm not a geek, I'm a totally ignorant beginner in this field, so I need very clear and straight answers. Help!
Badge
Hello there, everyone.

Hi all,

Thanks!
Adinda

I'm sorry but I don't see the answers! I've read your posts alkready five times, and I must say I just don't understand most of it. I'm not a geek, I'm a totally ignorant beginner in this field, so I need very clear and straight answers. Help!

Just to be clear: I do have the UK set as country in my Sonos account, and I also have a UK-based Apple ID and an Amazon UK account. I still can't activate Alexa because as I said in my earlier message the Sonos App diverts me to Amazon Italy in which I cannot sign in with my UK login details.
To enable Alexa voice, just go to your Sonos profile https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/profile/ click Edit profile and change your Address info to UK, US or Germany. You should then see Alexa voice control in the Sonos app under More > Voice services.
Badge
To enable Alexa voice, just go to your Sonos profile https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/profile/ click Edit profile and change your Address info to UK, US or Germany. You should then see Alexa voice control in the Sonos app under More > Voice services.

Yes I already did that: More > Voice services > Amazon Alexa > Add to Sonos > Connect you Amazon Account... and then I'm connected to http://www.amazon.it or Amazon Italy, which doesn't allow me to get into my Amazon UK account...
You need to change the country in Amazon to US/UK/Germany via Manage Contents and Devices. With a bogus address.

I have tried this in India, but quickly got fed up and abandoned voice control. Unless you have Amazon Prime, voice will not allow music play to start. And using it just for volume changes afterwards is just a gimmick, that many times does not even work as well as the app/unit buttons/phone buttons.

I will try it again when officially released in India, but I am no longer excited about it. Overall, it will remain a gimmick for some years, in my view. The only place it is useful for me is in the kitchen where my wife is happy to use a standalone Echo. As long as she gets music there, even of Echo sound quality, she doesn't much care to get more. So that box is already ticked with just Echo, no need for Sonos. And she does not have to add the name of the Sonos speaker in every command.

It is far more useful to fully learn the app and how the buttons on the unit can be used and to appreciate how much better this control capability is than we had some years ago with even remote control equipped systems. And as I said, this is much better also that voice control at this time.
I live in finland, Alexa is not supported here either but I successfully setup Alexa and now using it.
the trick is to have a VPN connected to any of UK, US or DE and set your country for digital content on your amazon account to UK, US or DE.